C4 Forums | Control4

why, How, and When to Upgrade

I apologize for a broad, general, and subjective question, but I would love to have the opinions of those more knowledgeable and experienced than I.  I have a moderate six-year-old Control 4 system that controls A/V (one video, six audio, WMP, Blu-Ray, and multi-CD) and some lights with lighting scenes.  I am running OS 1.8.2 and using ComposerHE for programming.  The system works OK, but not great, and I am trying to do a cost/benefit analysis of upgrading.  I have a good dealer, but it is hard to schedule time and he is relatively expensive by the hour.  

My main interests are increasing the functionality of what I have via home programming (more complex lighting scenes, for example), improving the performance of the existing system (slow to very slow responses to commands), and lastly adding or upgrading hardware where justifiable.  And of course I want to do this on a reasonable budget and perhaps with stages ordered by benefit and expense.

I would appreciate any thoughts, recommendations, and experiences.  I would also be interested in knowing of any possible gotchas, especially coming from such an old OS.  In at least some cases, I believe my hardware (light switches, keypads, and controllers) is too old to support the current OS, so would need to be replaced, if justified.

Thanks,

Ken Trayham 

If you're updating, you'll want to update to 2.5.3 or 2.6.

http://www.c4forums.com/topic/15498-26-considerations/ Will give you a good idea of what to expect for possible hardware limitations in 2.6

Depending on the size of your system an HC250 or HC800 would be the way to go, if you do not have SR series remotes, they'd need replacing (black screen with yellow OLED letters or no screen is SR series remotes).

Either mentioned version will give you Advanced lighting scens tat allow for a lot more flexibility in programming (state tracking for one).

Lighting devices all still work in the current versions, though to get the BEST of advanced lighting scenes, Gen3 (current) lighting is recommended.

As mentioned in previous post, if you want more detail, you'd need to provide a more detailed list of devices.

Archived