C4 Forums | Control4

quick way to view zigbee channel on Composer HE

shareez

Hello there,

We have a large wifi network with a main router and 5 other access points placed strategically around the home. We have adequate wifi coverage in all areas of the house but I notice a lot of dropped wifi connections, high response time, etc and I am attributing it to interference between WiFi and Zigbee (We also have a large C4 project with approx 200 light switches and other zigbee devices). I am wondering if theres an easy way to view what ZigBee channel my project is on via Composer HE without having to call up my dealer? I understand that I will probably have to call them if it needs to be changed but I want to make sure that its not on a channel that is overlapping with the current 802.11 channels that are currently being used (Channel 1,6, 11)

Thanks in advance!

shareez

If your WiFi is on 1, 6  and 11 then you are effectively occupying the entire spectrum so the likelihood of Zigbee interference is high if not certain. Get your dealer to put your Zigbee mesh on channel 25 which is the highest possible channel number  and has some overlap with WiFi channel 11 but not as bad as being on say Zigbee channel 14. To reduce this overlap, consider having all your WiFi devices on channels 1 and 6 only. WiFi devices at one end of the house could be on channel 1, devices  in the middle channel 11 and then devices at the far end of the house WiGi channel 1 again to minimize WiFi overlap. 

I would take some Wifi channel overlap over any Zigbee/Wifi interference.

If your WiFi is on 1, 6 and 11 then you are effectively occupying the entire spectrum so the likelihood of Zigbee interference is high if not certain. Get your dealer to put your Zigbee mesh on channel 25 which is the highest possible channel number and has some overlap with WiFi channel 11 but not as bad as being on say Zigbee channel 14. To reduce this overlap, consider having all your WiFi devices on channels 1 and 6 only. WiFi devices at one end of the house could be on channel 1, devices in the middle channel 11 and then devices at the far end of the house WiGi channel 1 again to minimize WiFi overlap.

I would take some Wifi channel overlap over any Zigbee/Wifi interference.

What's the default channel?

I have 3 WAPS on 1, 6 and 11. I have another on a different subnet on 6. Each is on a separate floor so I can't do as you suggest. My wifi is hit and miss on speed, with iOS devices, and I don't know if the zig bee could be a cause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no default Zigbee channel per se, although many systems will have the channel set to "Auto" or 14.

I am not sure why you couldn't change the channel of 1 x WAP to 6. Put your controller Zigbee on to channel 25.  Yes, you may get some WiFi channel overlap but its much better to have a clear Zigbee spectrum.

One thing you need to know about IOS devices is they will cling to an access point as long as they can. This can cause troubles in a multiple access point system unless you have a controller to "kick" the IOS devices to other AP.s.

But good luck

Archived