C4 Forums | Control4

Advice for cost managemenet on New Construction

dataspaz

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a few weeks reading up on all the great discussions here. I'm building a new home in the Dallas area and I've received 2 bids for Control4 installation north of $25k. It's a basic install with audio, video, 2 thermostats and no lighting.

Does anyone have advice for the best way to control the costs? I'm a realist in the sense that I'm not looking to do this for nothing but I'm open to any ideas on how to save 25-35% \

Thanks in advance

easiest way to save 25% is take some stuff out of your install.  If both the bids are in the same ballpark that is probably the going rate.  I would say if that is over your budget figure out what you can live without for now and maybe just pre-wire for some things so you can easily add them in the future, but can save on some upfront equipment costs.

Video distribution is probably the biggest cost. My atlona hdmi 16x16 matrix cost me $16K before installation.

You can easily prewire for everything and then install Sonos for audio distribution and then later when you want to automate other things you can add C4 to the mix. C4 and Sonos works very well together.

Video distribution is probably the biggest cost. My atlona hdmi 16x16 matrix cost me $16K before installation.

You can easily prewire for everything and then install Sonos for audio distribution and then later when you want to automate other things you can add C4 to the mix. C4 and Sonos works very well together.

Doing Sonos for all the zones (INSTEAD of C4 amplifiers) is not going to save you money at the start.

Doing Sonos for all the zones (INSTEAD of C4 amplifiers) is not going to save you money at the start.

For New Construction (as here) I definitely agree, but if this were retrofit, it's likely cheaper than pulling wires in a finished structure.

RyanE

Archived