C4 Forums | Control4

Connection Problem

Hoping someone can help, not an installer or professional, just trying to troubleshoot my system that is not working. 

I am running the composer 2.5.1 on windows 8 parallel.  The composer is able to connect successfully to the HC300 controller.  However the remote doesn't seem to recognize or pick up any network to actually turn on the system.  The remote just says "waiting for network".  Is there something I am missing to get the system going?  

Thanks for any advice you may have.

The remote is the only control you have?

If so, it's identified but unable to see the controller. I'd start removing the batteries and re-insert while being physically close.

If there's more to your 'system not working' please elaborate - it's hard to give advice without

The last time I went to a "system not working" the light bulb in a single pot light went dead - bit much to make a same day truck-roll for 2.5 hours out of town (sure learned the office guys to ask for details ;) ).

I have two remotes, one that is for the room in the back of our condo and one for the front room.  I tried to reinstall the batteries in hope that it would pick up the controller but no luck.  

Since the remote won't turn anything on I am not sure what else to do to determine what exactly the issue seems to be.  I tried to power cycle the system to see if that changed but no luck.  When I hit the red control4 button three or four times it shows "scanning" and then ultimately says "offline" after a few seconds.  I understand this isn't exceedingly descriptive, everything else (wifi, connection between composer and controller, etc) all seem to be working.  The system just won't turn on in either room or zone.  I also would like to avoid having a tech come out for some stupid little thing, I just don't know what exactly to be rebooting/resetting, etc. 

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

OK, well that IS more info. :P

I'm guessing you do not have any C4 touchscreens or ipads/tablets and the like? If you do, do those still work at all?

What's odd in your description is that it starts scanning after four presses of the "4" button - that means it's not only having trouble connecting, it's actually been removed from the mesh. Did you try any other button presses on them by any chance?

Also, from what you've said, I assume you only have the one HC300 as a controller? You say you're connecting with Composer, once it connects does it properly "show" your system? Or is it blank.

It's not quite enough to go by, but it does sound like the ZigBee mesh is down - either a secodary controller is running it and it's down, or something happened to the antenna in the only controller, or something weird happened with the ZigBee mesh.

If it's the first part, there may be something you can do yourself depending on what that controller type is, if it's the others, ComposerPro is likely needed to fix this - so you may have to get a dealer involved. That said,  if YOU can connect, a dealer can too and possibly tell you more - either your own, or one of the guys on here that do remote work (Neil or AK1 for example). This should help limit your cost.

It could be a fairly simple fix - or it could mean replacing a controller.

Archived