C4 Forums | Control4

Where are we at with Control4 compatible locks?

Ok.. so the range is Yale, Kwickset or Baldwin right? But seems they are all "dead bolt variety".. which basically throw the "cross bolt" across the door opening to the frame..

Are there any smart locks out there that can be attached on the outside of say a sliding door or bifold door:  which can throw the bolt down to the ground? 

Over here we call them "patio bolts"....

Cheers

Wap 

I thought you said you sold all your c4 gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever man...

Geez sorry I asked.. 

What's wrong with planning a new instal of HA "compatible" gear (that also happens to be compatible with C4)...using it independently for a while then (maybe) adding in Control4 over the top..?

Like there is some "only do it my way" of EVER doing a Home Auto instal or something?

Like there is some certified doctrine of HA or something??

Cheerio chaps

Do you happen to know if there is anything on the drawing board? 

Unfortunately, I don't have that close a contact within the companies.

I would be surprised, however, if they were planning on doing anything of that sort, mainly because I would think the market for that type of lock would be a *lot* smaller than the deadbolt / lever lock market.

Not that I don't think it'd necessarily be useful, for that smallish set of customers.

RyanE

^ Yeah.. thanks for that Ryan. Agree. New place has some difficult aluminium doors, where standard door latches won't do.. The link provided by Adamt was great.. looks like these can be open/closed using a simple relay, which is all that dead bolts that throw to the floor need do frankly.. They will be locks for added security that bolt down on say arming the house.. Regards Wap

LSDave,

I have put maglocks on patio doors before and the issue is the sheer strength. Sheer is when you put a maglock onto something where the plate and the magnet dont land on each other when the make contact. On a patio they would slide side to side and the plate can slide off of the magnet with a much easier motion than a door. Basically you are taking a lock that is certified for 600lbs of force and making it able to open with less than 100lbs of force. Also if you ask the lock to report bonding it isnt reliable since the plate isnt slamming home onto the magnet.  I dont know if this makes sense the way I explain it but I have dealt with it

You could however take a maglock z bracket and mount the maglock sideways on the patio door but then you have just added a few encyclopedia sized items to your patio door and that might not look so hot. 

The long and short of it is you can use a mag but its like using duct tape to hold your car door closed.

Archived