C4 Forums | Control4

C4 7" Ethernet Touch Screen PoE issues

AJ_

I have a 7" touch screen I got from eBay. This is the one prior to the Infinity Edges. It powers up using AC power and is able to connect to my network when I connect the cat5 cable to its ethernet port. 

If I use only the ethernet connection (connected to a PoE Netgear switch), the touch screen does not power up. Am I missing something here? The switch powers other hardware such as my outdoor cameras. There is absolutely no reaction on plugging in the ethernet cable. The cable works when I connect it to my laptop, as well as when I connect it to the touch screen (with AC power). 

Are there any settings I need to change on the board behind the screen - I see 2 buttons with 1-2 settings on the back? Or is there a special way to wire the cat5 for PoE?

Thanks,

AJ 

AJ,

As Cy mentioned you need to verify you are using a FULL ethernet patch cable that is a straight through. Some Patch cables are missing wires on pins 3,4,7,8 and these are needed in POE environments. Also make sure the cable is straight through by looking at both ends and verifying that both ends are terminated the same way.

Also in some cases if the previous owner of the touchscreen had a bad POE or switch you can blow the POE interface on the touchscreen. It may still work with Ethernet and external power because the diode or cap may be shot.

More info would help, or pics of the patch cable.....

Thanks for the feedback. I terminated both the ends of the cat5 cable. It's been sitting in the wall for 4 years now but I know how to terminate them. I double checked with other cables that I already have from the switch to my camera, for example. Both ends are terminated the same way. I'll probably try hooking up another PoE device or simply let my dealer handle it. I am simply trying to save install $$.

It's possible that the PoE interface is not working. I'll check with the buyer. He wasn't very friendly to begin with after my purchase so we will see :)

It's more work for me to get AC power to it but I'll do it if needed.

AJ

Archived