C4 Forums | Control4

3.5MM Serial Cable

dmccor1

On the HC-250 Controller, in order to control Serial there is a Control4 3.55mm Serial Cable that can be used to control devices Serial. My question is, do I have to use Control4 part # C4-CBL3.5-DB9B, or can I just purchase another brand online and will , or should it work just fine.

Keep in mind, this cable is 3.5mm Stereo on one end and DB9 RS232 on the other end. I know its a hard to find cable local, but can find ok online. So what I am hearing is, any 3.5MM to DB9 Serial should work just fine.

thanks for your quick response.

It's a passive cable, meaning nothing proprietary that makes you have to get it from contro4.

You can make your own if you wish, or buy one with proper pin out.

Straight Cable:

Tip - Pin 3

Ring - Pin 2

Sleeve - Pin 5

On the HC-250 Controller, in order to control Serial there is a Control4 3.55mm Serial Cable that can be used to control devices Serial. My question is, do I have to use Control4 part # C4-CBL3.5-DB9B, or can I just purchase another brand online and will , or should it work just fine.

I received my cable today and it works great for the HC250 Controller. Now for my next question. I now want to do the same thing with a HC800 controlling another AVR. I have both a Straight through serial ,and a null modem serial. Which one should I use , or does it matter.

most devices i believe are typically straight through but it really is device dependent.

found this source for inexpensive 3.5mm to db9 (serial) cables for hc200's.

connection 1 is for cross wired (null modem) devices and connection 2 is for straight through devices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261532410183?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D261532410183%26_rdc%3D1

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I recently got a 3.5mm to db9 cable to connect my HC250 to my Denon AVR. As of right now I cant seem to get anything to work. 

Any advice on what I need to do on composer? In connections I got serial 2 to connect to my avr but I cant do anything yet.

Thanks

• 3 years later...

Archived