C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain XBMC / Kodi Lite Driver for Control4

alanchow

Hi guys,

Just released our Kodi Lite (XBMC) Driver for Control4.  This is the ultimate media player driver in Control4 to date with movie library import (full cover art and meta data) and playback, automatic room on airplay/upnp streaming from your mobile device, automatic room off when screensaver activates (when you're fallen asleep or walked away), automatic screen masking based upon video aspect ratio, Android OS control & navigation (for if you want to exit XBMC and control other android apps) and much more.

See link below for details.  If you have any questions please post them in this thread.

http://www.c4forums.com/topic/16085-chowmain-kodi-lite-xbmc-driver-for-control4/

Will there be a need for this driver if still using the previous driver?  So far it still works on 2.6 with Raspberry Pi Openelec XBMC Gotham.

If you are happy with the which ever current driver you are using then there is no need to update.  This driver just offers more functionality then any other xbmc/kodi driver (or any other media player driver) on the market currently.

Forgive me for the naive question but I have apple tv through which I watch xbmc. If I want to get rid of that how would your driver work? What source would it use?

Thanks for the help.

You will need an alternate piece of hardware that can run XBMC (now called Kodi).  Kodi can run on Windows, Linux, OSX, Raspberry Pi and Android.

Lately i have been testing the Android builds of XBMC/Kodi and it runs quite well.  You can purchase Android boxes (the one i have is the transmart draco aw 80 that supports 4k video) for about $150usd.  Note though not all android boxes are the same as some have more grunt than others.  I would recommend that you visit xbmc.org and read about about different xbmc setups.

Our driver can also control rooted android boxes as well.  This means that your Android box does not need to be dedicated to Kodi.  You can quit the Kodi app and use your SR-250 to navigate and control other apps.

You can either restart Kodi manually or if you turn the system back on the driver will launch the Kodi app.  Pretty neat huh.

Also Alan what cool features does your driver had that it didn't have before? Thanks

I'm assuming you are asking me to compare the chowmain and recluse drivers. The chowmain driver has everything the recluse driver has plus all of the items below.

Note that the chowmain driver is a total rewrite. I do not own the source code for the recluse av driver so I cannot use it.

• Movie import works nicer. Movies are referencing the movie id rather than the path. Cloud based image resizing means increased performance and quicker import (700 movies in 30 minutes in comparison to several hours).

• Support for PVR (Guide, Record, DVR, Channel Up, Channel Down buttons)

• Automatic import upon Kodi library update notification. Refresh Navigator automatically after import has finished.

• Automatic Room On (like the music bridge) on playback detection and automatic Room Off on screen saver activate. (you can also do this in recluseav driver but requires additional programming under the programming tab. This is built into the driver)

• 2 way feedback via the JSON API for Video Aspect Ratio, Video Resolution, Video/Music/TV/Radio currently playing, Memory usage, CPU usage, CPU Frequency, System Total Space, System Uptime, System Temperature, Client Platform, Client Version & Client Name

• Support for Android boxes (if XBMC app is closed it will launch upon ON command, also if XBMC exited by user you can navigate and control Android applications).

For me the exciting thing is android box support. This means you can get xbmc boxes that play full high def movies for about $150USD.

• 4 weeks later...

I am using the recluse AV driver and just upgraded to Kodi and now its no longer working, should it be? Also I am wondering when Kodi FULL will be released and if Kodi LITE users will have to pay full price for it when it is?

I am using the recluse AV driver and just upgraded to Kodi and now its no longer working, should it be? Also I am wondering when Kodi FULL will be released and if Kodi LITE users will have to pay full price for it when it is?

Kodi full is stil a while away.  We will be offering customers an upgrade path from LITE to FULL by just paying the difference in cost for the driver.

Having said that though your recluse driver should still work fine but as mentioned by mitch you won't get all the bells and whistles of the chowman driver.

Also in regards to when Kodi Full will be available we are waiting for some changes at Control4's end to implement MSP for video devices.  Though we are happy with using the ipod proxy for tv show and movie database navigation it would be AWESOME when MSP supports videos.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Have updated the Kodi Lite driver (see changelog below for new updates).  The biggest and coolest update is the ability to automatically turn the room on via audio endpoint or video endpoint depending on the detected content.  So for example if it detects audio playback (lets say airplaying pandora app) it will only turn on your receiver or if it detects any sort of video playback (eg you want to airplay some photos) then it will turn on the video endpoint.  Pretty nifty feature especially if you have a projector you don't want to automatically turn on with music.

Version #20150305 - 05-MAR-2015
  • Resolved issue on some systems where automatic on sends on command again every time a new file plays.

Version #20150303 - 03-MAR-2015
  • Number 1 now jumps to first page in navigation mode
  • Number 0 now jumps to last page in navigation mode

Version #20150220 - 20-FEB-2015
  • Modified Auto Room On code.  Now selects device as audio or video only depending on audio, video or photo.  Note there are times when Kodi's API returns an unknown media type.  In this case it will turn it on as a video source.

Version #20150218 - 18-FEB-2015
  • Added Random All, One and Off commands to programming tab
  • Added Play URL programming command for playback of videos and photos

Version #20150113 - 13-JAN-2015
  • Added customisable PREV & CANCEL buttons as some customers were not happy with the mapping.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys,

Uploaded a maintenance release of the driver which improves movie import functionality.

Version #20150305 - 05-MAR-2015

• Improved movie import algorithm.  Should now import all movies regardless if the movie ID is sequential or not.  Also if cover art is not available for download (poor internet connection or URL does not return an image) then it will insert the movie with no cover art.
  • Resolved issue where automatic update of movie library would not work if controller is rebooted.

Alan,

I have a customer with a Helix Media server.

I know you have worked with them, but I want to know if your driver can respond to "cinema mode" i.e. the box can play trivia and trailers and then let a control system lower lighting for the main feature"

Have you got this going yet?

Brent

Alan,

I have a customer with a Helix Media server.

I know you have worked with them, but I want to know if your driver can respond to "cinema mode" i.e. the box can play trivia and trailers and then let a control system lower lighting for the main feature"

Have you got this going yet?

Brent

You may be able to using the Media Type variable but i am not sure if the trailer will come up as the same type as the movie.  Best way to determine this is to utilise the SNMP agent to view the variables or even better use the chowmain event logger to log the variable changes.

You will need an alternate piece of hardware that can run XBMC (now called Kodi). Kodi can run on Windows, Linux, OSX, Raspberry Pi and Android.

Lately i have been testing the Android builds of XBMC/Kodi and it runs quite well. You can purchase Android boxes (the one i have is the transmart draco aw 80 that supports 4k video) for about $150usd. Note though not all android boxes are the same as some have more grunt than others. I would recommend that you visit xbmc.org and read about about different xbmc setups.

Our driver can also control rooted android boxes as well. This means that your Android box does not need to be dedicated to Kodi. You can quit the Kodi app and use your SR-250 to navigate and control other apps.

You can either restart Kodi manually or if you turn the system back on the driver will launch the Kodi app. Pretty neat huh.

Allan , can you tell us how to put your driver in a rapberry pi 2 ? I purchased one and dont know how to setup it.

Ok i know that but how raspberry works ?is there any kind of windows menu on it ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

It is the same as XBMC so you have a interface, this just loads the movies up automatically for you from the control 4 interface save having to go search for it

It is the same as XBMC so you have a interface, this just loads the movies up automatically for you from the control 4 interface save having to go search for it

I was talking for the raspberry . When tou receive it brand new and you plug it on a screen before instaling the kodi driver

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Archived