C4 Forums | Control4

Somfy URTSI II

Hi, I was asked to connect "somfy urtsi ii"  unit, so I connected and did some programming, It works but so unstable. Sometimes it stopped control blinds, or controls but not all of them. it works with RF, so might be some communication problems? Does anybody has experience with that unit? 

It can be very sensitive indeed, and I'm less than impressed by it's range.

That said, depending on the length of the RS232 run, it could be that as well - serial isn't really designed for very long runds, especially at lower baud ranges.

Easiest way to test one or the other is to regularly use the UTSI II direct for a day or two - or less if you find it to not always resond sooner.

There are extenders for these, though if your devices are on embernet ZigBee (pre 1.8) they will cause interference on them.

Hi, I was asked to connect "somfy urtsi ii"  unit, so I connected and did some programming, It works but so unstable. Sometimes it stopped control blinds, or controls but not all of them. it works with RF, so might be some communication problems? Does anybody has experience with that unit? 

The Somfy URTSI II is a 1 way RF based device that is designed to send the same commands as your somfy RF based remotes.  When you say that the RF works i assume you mean the RF remotes that come with the blinds.  If so then are you testing these remotes from the same location as the Somfy URTS II device?  Is the URTS II inside of a rack or high attenuating enclosure?

You may need more than 1 URTS II device due to interference and attenuation in the environments.  You will probably need to strategically place the devices in locations closer to the blinds you want to control.

If you are outside of the US you can also order the Somfy RS485 RTS controller.  This unit does not have the same RF power restrictions as the URTS II and can go upto 5 km line of sight (or so i am told).

It can be very sensitive indeed, and I'm less than impressed by it's range.

That said, depending on the length of the RS232 run, it could be that as well - serial isn't really designed for very long runds, especially at lower baud ranges.

Easiest way to test one or the other is to regularly use the UTSI II direct for a day or two - or less if you find it to not always resond sooner.

There are extenders for these, though if your devices are on embernet ZigBee (pre 1.8) they will cause interference on them.

Actually lower baud rates mean you can run longer cable runs though they will be sending/receiving data at a slower rate.

1. "Is the URTS II inside of a rack or high attenuating enclosure?" 

Yep, it is in mechanical room, near route and not far away from hc-800 (zigbee) I think I'll try to move it.

2. "Actually lower baud rates mean you can run longer cable runs though they will be sending/receiving data at a slower rate."

a.the cable is 1 meter, but I didn't have pre made one, so I downloaded from C4 KB  wiring diagram and made it by my self (cut RS-232 and connected it to cat-5 according to draw ) It worked for me few times before, so way not.

b.as well I didn't find any adjustments for baud rate in C4 driver.

3. "It can be very sensitive indeed, and I'm less than impressed by it's range." 

I think I'll try to move it to the better location.

thanks guys, hope it'll work.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived