C4 Forums | Control4

Zwave lighting solution

I've been pretty blown away by the cost of Control4 dimmer switches ($150-180 each). I don't have our electrical plan yet but it could easily include 60 switches.

Is there any downside to purchasing $40 zwave dimmer switches and integrating with control4 via Vera?

As per cynight

"

Zwave can be integrated using a driver and a Vera Lite/2/3 (MiCasaGrande) - works, but unless you're at LEAST comforatable doing the full Vera setup (and well!) - setting up all your lighting twice by a dealer will cost you as much as just getting C4's units - and there is a distinct quality difference as well, plus something of a delay (having to go through two control units) - though the latter is generally not enough to be bothersome unless you combine non-cc4 lights with C4 keypads.

Just did another house, and again the GE units have distinct hum/screech on many units (could be load related) - to a point that the user nixed all llights in bedrooms.

Also keep an eye on load capacity with those.

"

The C4 lighting and keypads are worth the investment. It sounds like your doing new construction, can you do the C4 panelized lighting? If I was doing new construction or a remodel this is what I'd be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is new construction. I thought panelized was out of favor these days. What's the upside?

1. No banks of dimmer switches on walls.

2. No switches on walls at all if you are brave enough and want to do motion sensors and time of day scenes.

3. Dimmer buzz and load noise is relegated to the panel not the wall.

I have a hybrid of an 8 pack dimmer. DMX led both in a lighting panel and a few local loads on wireless keypad simmers. Very happy with the outcome.

To add to the snippet:

The option is there, it works, if you can do all of the ZWave stuff yourself, it can be made to work for less.

The delay as mentioned isn't that far off - it mainly affects you if you have keypads because any press and hold to dim/fade becomes problematic at best. It's fairly minimal in most other considerations.

But to a degree it's 'you get what you pay for'.

I certainly don't intend to 'knock' on Zwave lighting or Zwave as a whole, but the 'cheap' Zwave units are cheap for a reason. And Cheap would be the biggest reason to use them instead of C4 dimmers.

C4's stuff is hard to beat (for a C4 install at least), it's high quality, looks good, works good and integrates flawlessly.

3rd party lighting integration can be done (be it Zwave or other) but it rarely pays off money wise - unless you already HAVE the other lighting in place, or can do it yourself.

Design and look can be another consideration for 3rd party - but I doubt many Zwave options win there if any do at all.

I wasn't sure if I would like the C4 dimmers or if they would be worth the expense. In the spirit of saving some money I decided to put the C4 dimmers on all of the exterior lighting and to use Lutron Maestro dimmers (that are not integrated with C4) on the interior.  I love the C4 dimmers and have only used them manually since my system is not done and they have not even been programed yet. At this time I can only imagine how cool they will be after they are programmed and my system is up and running. The Maestros work fine and are made quite well  and are aestetically appealing but  I will be considering replacing the Maestros with C4 dimmers on the interior when I decide to sink more money into the project

If you do go the ZWave route, be sure and know what you're getting.

Some of the lowest-cost units do *not* report their current light level until they are *polled* by the master unit.  This is due to trying to avoid paying Lutron for a patent on real-time light level feedback from a dimmer to a controller.

Many of the lower-cost ZWave units also have a flimsy feel or bad finish to them.

Obviously, I'm biased, since I work for Control4.  :)

RyanE

Archived