C4 Forums | Control4

Noob questions

Anzir

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are planning to build our home, a home in which we want to spend the next 25-30 years.  I started looking at home automation hubs but didn't like the fact they are so fragmented.  I found Control4 while researching and I am impressed by capabilities, but also equally impressed by the support community found here.  I have a few questions as I'm trying to decide going forward, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond.

1) In my discussions with local dealers, I happened to meet a couple who also install other systems and one was specifically recommending Elan g! over Control4 because of latency issues with Control4.  I haven't read much about that on this board, but is that an issue to be concerned with?  They were saying it is not excessive, but within 3-5 seconds when trying to do things like unlock doors (Kwikset), open garage doors, etc. 

2) I am trying to pre-wire the heck out of the house, running Cat6 to most rooms.  We will have 7 outdoor motorized screens, do you all have any recommendations for additional wiring to include the outdoor screen control?

3) Is there something like a timer that can be set to act as reminders?  For example, the washer is set for 50 minute cycle, so set a reminder at 50 minutes to flash the lights in the family room to remind to move it to the dryer?  Flash the bathroom lights because you've been in the shower for 20 minutes?

4) After reading through the discussions here, it appears that Concord is a good way to go for the low voltage security system.  Are there any other recommendations for Control4 integration?  It seems that Elk integration reviews are mixed.

That's all for now.  Thanks again.

Anzir

1) Wow really, Elan g! has overcome the fact that some devices themselves go to sleep and only check for new commands every few seconds?

Doubt it. Indeed I know they haven't.

'slow' control of garage doors is only the case if using a 3rd party unit like the MyQ bridge that some manufacturers now force you to use. This has nothing to do with Control4 having any latency - it's the device Control4 must talk to that has latency.

It's a ridiculous claim.

2) If low voltage running a heavier duty cable like the one used for HVAC can be wise. Beyond that, run an extra Cat6 on top of what you think ;0

3) Yes and no. This can be done via programming and then have a button to start that timer, but not in an easy 'user interface' method where you set a time period at any range, start it etc.

4) Concord4 is fine, but so is Elk, DSC and many more. As per a discussion recently - this will depend mostly on what your local dealer (and security installer!) is comfortable with.

To answer your question about timers. You could use the wakeup agent and set a few of them to activate programming. Only difference instead of a count down timer you would set a specific time. Start the washer at noon set wake up For 1250. You could also set up custom buttons For specific times up to 24 per room. You could also automate timers. For The bathroom when light Is turned on set timer For 20 minutes.

1 more specifically on the delay. This is mostly due to battery operated and 33rd party devices. If you wire everything directly and stick to quality products. You will never know the difference. I have Phillips hue controlled thru their hub my c4 control is instant even though not directly controlled

Archived