C4 Forums | Control4

An alternative to Kaleidescape ?

louisraza1

So i just need a old pc for example with a huge memory to store all my blu-rays and put your program on it.

Not too old. For the best experience I would recommend a PC with an i3 professor at minimum with at least 4gb ram. Storage space is upto you.

Alan, how quickly does the PC turn on and start the movie?

Depends on how the PC is built. A fast pc can boot from off into XBMC in about 15 seconds.

If speed is an issue you can set up the driver to not then off the PC. For example mine is always ON whilst I am at home. As soon as I arm my security system it will send a shutdown command to xbmc. When I disarm it will send a wake on lam command to the PC.

Having said that though you can now purchase Android STB's and raspberry pi 2's that are powerful enough to run XBMC quite well. For example I have a tronsmart Draco AW80 android box that is connected to my projector which runs xbmc quite well.

Another benefit of the driver is that you will not need to use mymovies for auto catalogging, the driver has it inbuilt and will pull the movie library from xbmc and inject it into control4.

Whilst I'm talking about features one of the features I use daily is the auto room on functuonality. The driver will turn on your TV if it detects playback. Our most recent beta of the driver can differentiate between audio and video content and will only turn on the receiver if audio is detected. This auto on functionality is great for things like AirPlay and DLNA/UPnP streaming from mobile devices (kind of like the wireless music bridge but also for video).

Anyway a could blab on about this forever. Best to just read the features from our website or installation guide.

http://chowmain.co.nz/kodi-xbmc-lite

• 4 weeks later...

if you need a new NAS anyway plus you need a media player plus you need a ripper... if i were you i'd just get the Helix system.

Hey allan , can you driver works with Raspberry Pi ? Really cheap for the price . i know i still got to rip my Blu-ray from my laptop but to start and see if i will like it ?

Hey allan , can you driver works with Raspberry Pi ? Really cheap for the price . i know i still got to rip my Blu-ray from my laptop but to start and see if i will like it ?

Yep works with the Raspberry Pi B and Raspberry Pi 2 B models.  Note that you will find it rather sluggish due to the slow processor speeds.  Bit better on the Raspberry Pi 2 model though.

Yep works with the Raspberry Pi B and Raspberry Pi 2 B models.  Note that you will find it rather sluggish due to the slow processor speeds.  Bit better on the Raspberry Pi 2 model though.

What do you want to say by sluggish ? more slower when scrolling  ?

What do you want to say by sluggish ? more slower when scrolling  ?

Yep you'll find that browsing will be a bit slow, catalogging the library and other CPU based tasks slow.  Watching movies though are handled by the GPU which is fine.

Some people are ok with this given the stupidly cheap price.

Youre right a this point ( stupidly cheap price ) but ... How i can install this driver in this mini pc ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I'm not quite following you.  Are you asking how do you install the driver?  The driver can be purchased from the Houselogix website and installed by a Control4 dealer.  Installation instructions are on our website.

Archived