C4 Forums | Control4

Number Plate Recognition

bdo21

I have searched online and this forum and I cannot find any reference to this idea so I thought this "push the envelope" sub-forum might be the right place!  Has anyone integrated Control4 with automatic number plate recognition?  What I would like to do is for a camera which looks down the road to scan cars and match nominated number plates which then perform actions such as opening a gate, the garage door, etc., all under the control of control4.

There are various number plate recognition software packages (including free ones) but I haven't seen anything with a control4 driver.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Not really helping you here but this reminded me of a job I once had.  I worked with Hughes on a remote sensing device (RSD) project in AZ.  We sat on the roadside reading tailpipe plumes and license plates.  This was the 90s but it was a "Hughes" level type project in complexity.  I wasn't aware that it had made it down to the civilian level by now.

I have searched online and this forum and I cannot find any reference to this idea so I thought this "push the envelope" sub-forum might be the right place!  Has anyone integrated Control4 with automatic number plate recognition?  What I would like to do is for a camera which looks down the road to scan cars and match nominated number plates which then perform actions such as opening a gate, the garage door, etc., all under the control of control4.

There are various number plate recognition software packages (including free ones) but I haven't seen anything with a control4 driver.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

how about integrating RFID instead, I'm pretty sure that is already possible. Will be more reliable than camera frame recognition, I would think

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Just remember that any thief could make a fake number plate if you were using it a gate entry solution.

A client of mine had a garage for 4 luxury cars.  I was planning on using an NPR to light up the pathway for each particular car's garage.

It could be a nice feature to use as a trigger for people leaving or entering a property and customising lighting/music.

Nailed it, we never fully implemented it for those security reasons exactly. If I recall, it has triggers out of their NVR or PC Based for that functionality which would require an I/O device. Either way, hits I/O on controller and makes magic. Lilin cameras would work on Control4 as there are drivers for video feed, just don't think those drivers cover this level. Hope this helps, couldn't pass up an opportunity to share one that boggled us for a time! Haha

I would just want it for convenience - the gates are not there for security - they are just half height and they the ANPR could trigger lights, etc. Presumably not much chance of control4 updating their driver to feature ANPR? Could a custom driver sit alongside and use Lilin's ANPR triggers only while control4 does the usual camera features?

Probably not a near chance on inclusion, but, using contact closures on a controller in conjunction with triggers from NVR/PC.....you should be able to pull off some pretty cool events to happen, just like it sounds you're looking for! No need for "magical" driver to decode that ANPR data (though that would give everyone a warm fuzzy about its ability to interface).

• 1 month later...

so i'll share how i do it. i use a genetec Sharp ALPR camera. the NVR is a genetec sv32 running 5.3, and i'm able to generate events off of hotlists or recognized number/license plates. 

on the SV32 unit, there is a mini serial plug that is a DB9 on the other end. that end connected to the controller i haven't been able to get much done, but i am able to strip off certain things from the DB9 and turn it into a simple contact input on the HC800 which is able to trigger garage door, lights, etc etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is not exactly number plate recognition but Tesla just enabled this type of functionality in their most recent software update on the Model S.  They called it Homelink AutoOpen and AutoClose.  It is essentially uses Geofencing to automatically open your garage door (or gate) when you get to your home, or close the door when you leave.

You should be able to trigger the same sort of functionality using IFTT assuming that one's garage door app was accessible to IFTT.

Archived