C4 Forums | Control4

System recommendations

matty2015

Looking for some advice. Just moved to a new home. The old home owner had russ sound system so every zone has a volume control. I wanted to get something that has more then just audio this time. I hear control4 is the way to go. But i am a bit confused on what to buy. I would like to have different audio choices in each room at the same time. like if the kitchen has 1 on i can play something else in another room. Control my theater area also. I have nest thermostats already not sure if those can work together. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I called a local place and have no clue what they are talking about. dont want to over buy a bunch of things i dont need.

For your music Sonos has some of the best integration.

Control4 will control all of the separate audio zones and AV equipment as well as some basic integration with nest.

also might want to take a look at your volume controls, likely they may be CAt5 wired and not inline. not a big deal but something to take account for if you have to have local volume control. C4 keypads can solve this as well.

I have done control4 twice. Im a big multiroom via network fan. First time I just used Sonos. Second time I'm using a combo of Sonos and other Sources via the C4 analog Matrix. I did this under advice from a few of the guys here and because putting in the analog matrix gave me more flexibility and was pretty cost effective to do. Regards. Wap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ this approach cuts down the no of Sonos Zone players you need to buy. You basically only need one per household member. You label em Dad's . Mum's. "Richard" etc. ie per person.... rather than by room. You put them in a central rack. You should have all speaker wire coming back central right? Becuase of the prev Russound instal. You add some sort of multichannel amp. With auto analog sensing. You can also send analog down cat five out to rooms if you want. So all this suits this approach. This central Sonos approach also cuts out any Sonos wireless playback issues. But watch which network switch you use. Don't use a managed switch. Been there. Done that. :)

I agree with WAP, only think id suggest is pay a bit more and get one of the audio matrix switches that does digital as well. Several choices are available, I like the ones from AVocation.

I agree with WAP, only think id suggest is pay a bit more and get one of the audio matrix switches that does digital as well. Several choices are available, I like the ones from AVocation.

If <=4 zones control4 does an amp with matrix and digital inputs also.

i have 7 speaker zones in the house. they all run to a central place in the basement. the volume controls are 4 wires on each side. looks like 4 to the 2 speakers and 4 back down to the basement. Just to get sound up and running and some room for expansion. would i need a control and a matrix? What is the huge difference between an older model like HC1000 to the newest HC-800 ?  every room has cat5 ran to it near tvs and other areas. so i can be pretty flexible. I really want lcd screens in a few places like kitchen and master bath. looking at all this equipment makes me want it all :)

so far i think i need a controller and a C4-16AMP3-B ? The rest is inputs to these things like music players or tuners correct?

The C4-16AMP will do what you need as it does up to eight zones and is also a matrix. I'd recommend to go ahead and get the HC-800 or you'll just be upgrading your controller sooner than later down the road. It will also give you two outputs at you can feed into the matrix for digital audio files and TuneIn. Then you can choose what other sources you'd like. Just remember that the C4-16AMP on has analog inputs. If you have anything with a digital output you want to feed into it you will need a DAC for it.

If it were me I'd either remove the individual volume controls or just set them to max volume and let the Control4 handle the volume. If you'd like to still use them you could also set the amp volume to a fixed outpu amount and then you could retain the existing volume controls.

Also if you currently have any zones or will have zones that are driven by an Audi Video Receiver you won't be able to send sources that go to the matrix/amp to the AVR as well. That's where just a simple non-amp matrix is superior.

Archived