C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon Fire TV w/Kodi (XBMC)

BREAL

Is it possible with Amazon Fire TV with Kodi (XBMC) installed, to be able to integrate into Control4 using the new house logix Amazon Fire IP driver and also use with Chowmain – Kodi Lite (XBMC) Driver for Control4 and let them work together? All my media is on an apple time capsule. Would it work if I put all the media on a WD portable hard drive or will the apple time capsule work with Chowmain – Kodi Lite (XBMC) Driver?

I already have the Amazon Fire TV House Logix IP driver installed.

This is what I'm trying to do with Amazon Fire TV with Kodi (XBMC) installed.

http://www.control4.com/blog/2015/02/the-convenience-of-digital-movies

I basically just want to be able to access all of my ripped .Mp4 movies through the control4 interface using "Amazon Fire TV with Kodi (XBMC)" and "Chowmain – Kodi Lite (XBMC) Driver"

Interesting question.  I think you should be able to, you just map the drivers to the same connections.  I think the biggest challenge will be launching the XMBC app on the Fire TV stick.  Unrelated, but it would help you, yesterday I request @houselogix to add custom app launching via their driver.  This would allow you to run the command automatically when you pick the source as XBMC, you could tell the Amazon Fire TV driver to launch the XMBC app.

Interesting question.  I think you should be able to, you just map the drivers to the same connections.  I think the biggest challenge will be launching the XMBC app on the Fire TV stick.  Unrelated, but it would help you, yesterday I request @houselogix to add custom app launching via their driver.  This would allow you to run the command automatically when you pick the source as XBMC, you could tell the Amazon Fire TV driver to launch the XMBC app.

That would be an amazing feature

Interesting question. I think you should be able to, you just map the drivers to the same connections. I think the biggest challenge will be launching the XMBC app on the Fire TV stick. Unrelated, but it would help you, yesterday I request @houselogix to add custom app launching via their driver. This would allow you to run the command automatically when you pick the source as XBMC, you could tell the Amazon Fire TV driver to launch the XMBC app.

Thanks for your reply I'm going to give it a shot, I'll let you know what happens. If anyone else has any other advise please let me know...

It should totally work this is the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221602248866

I'd also like to see this feature as well.  The driver is already a good one but that would make getting it a no brainer for FireTV users with Control4.  

I got Kodi running on one of my FireTVs last night and it seemed to be running pretty well.  Took me around 15 minutes including downloading everything and adding the Kodi shortcut to the home screen.  I was just controlling it using the FireTV IP driver.  I plan on putting it on the others this weekend.  I could see this having a lot of potential.  

I got Kodi running on one of my FireTVs last night and it seemed to be running pretty well. Took me around 15 minutes including downloading everything and adding the Kodi shortcut to the home screen. I was just controlling it using the FireTV IP driver. I plan on putting it on the others this weekend. I could see this having a lot of potential.

Nice work! Do you think you can make it work with Chowmain – Kodi Lite (XBMC) Driver for Control4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too hard to support as KODI is not an official app for it. That and we do not get access to the hardware here in Australia.

People are welcome to try it themselves. As an android application it should run on it however switching between drivers may be problematic.

Ok! Here is an update on what I plan to do.

I am changing my FireTV Driver to the Control4 Certified driver.  That driver allows for custom app launching.

I am making a HDMI switch driver and connecting that to the TV HDMI port. 

On the switch HDMI1 - FTV C4 Driver

On the switch HDMI2 - Alan's Kodi driver

Then both sources will show up in the watch list and and launch the same HDMI port connection BUT

When I select Kodi, I am going to call the FTV C4 driver and tell it to launch Kodi.  This should give me full control both ways!

(I have most of it done, just thought of the switch idea while running)

Ok! Here is an update on what I plan to do.

I am changing my FireTV Driver to the Control4 Certified driver. That driver allows for custom app launching.

I am making a HDMI switch driver and connecting that to the TV HDMI port.

On the switch HDMI1 - FTV C4 Driver

On the switch HDMI2 - Alan's Kodi driver

Then both sources will show up in the watch list and and launch the same HDMI port connection BUT

When I select Kodi, I am going to call the FTV C4 driver and tell it to launch Kodi. This should give me full control both ways!

(I have most of it done, just thought of the switch idea while running)

Let me know how it turns out in the end. I'm going to have my programmer set it up on Thursday for me. Let me know if there's any other steps I need to tell my programmer.

Update! Got it working!

here are a few "gotchas"

1) HDMI switch worked flawlessly

2) Kodi - You have to enable all the services, then force quit the Kodi app and relaunch it for the JSON API to start working

3) I have it programmed when Video source changes in room --> If Source Kodi --> Then --> Launch custom app on FireTV org.xbmc.kodi

4) Profit

Update! Got it working!

here are a few "gotchas"

2) Kodi - You have to enable all the services, then force quit the Kodi app and relaunch it for the JSON API to start working

3) I have it programmed when Video source changes in room --> If Source Kodi --> Then --> Launch custom app on FireTV org.xbmc.kodi

4) Profit

Nice work.  Quite a few people have been asking on the forums about this lately.

Update! Got it working!

here are a few "gotchas"

4) Profit

Amazing work! Can't wait til Thursday to have my programmer install it into my system! Thanks Mitch!!!

Msgreenf,

You use the hdmi driver so that you can add two binding to the hdmi input (Amazon fire and Kodi)? Where I can get that driver?

With the Kodi driver I can control and launch a movie from the navigator if the Kodi is open.

Thanks.

ETAW3.jpg

Archived