C4 Forums | Control4

Honeywell Vista 20p

Bullseye

In my home alarm system multiple doors are wired in a single zone, the same with the windows. I just got a 4229 zone extender to be able to separate some zones to get better feedback for c4. In my previous home I did add some sensors to my old system but this a little bit more complicated.

I am looking for a forum recommendation or if somebody here could guide me to add the extender. I have the installer code and a 6160 to do the programing.

Easiest thing would be to google the manual.  It's all in there on how to hook it up.  You wire it into the keypad buses then depending on how you set the dip switches on the zone expander will determine which zones the expander will be used for.  Then you just have to program the corresponding zones for zone type, name, etc.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, yesterday had some free time and decided to try.

I added the extender and was able to separate the 2 door zones. I did have to add resistors on the 2 doors on the extender. Where I am stuck is separating the windows, dont know how to identify what wire belongs to what zone. All the windows in a zone are wired in series but all the wires runs and are spliced inside the alarm case. How do i know if they have resistors??

Any help will be appreciated!!

If you are just trying to seperate the windows a zone and are not sure which wire goes each window. And I assume each window has a home run wire back to the panel. What I would do is turn chime mode on. Then disconnect one wire in the series at the panel. Temporarily put the series back together with out that one wire. Then open and close all the window on that zone. When you get to a window that does not chime, you found where the wire goes. Assuming all you window contacts worked before you started.

To find if you have a resistor, get a multimeter and start metering each wire until you get the proper resistance. If the 20p zones are not doubled resistance should be close to 2k. Also you done have to use resistors on a 20p on zone 2 thru 8 with no zone doubling. You can program them out in zone programming (*56). Also the new model zone expanders do not require resistors for normally open zones. I believe it is dip switch 7 or 8.

Hope this helps

Good everyday I learn something new here.

It looks I screw something in programing, the windows are not triggering the alarm.  I have to keep reading and go over everything again to make it work properly.  In my old home all the sensors were wireless, so everything wired is new to me!!!

Thanks!!

• 4 months later...

Still dealing with this.

Trying to separate all the combined zones without any success. I could separate the doors and is working, but with windows I am lost. Are the individuals windows supposed to have continuity when closed??

I have read the manuals and searched the internet without much success.

If anyone is willing to give me a hand, I will really appreciate it!!!

After a lot of research I found out that 9 of the windows sensors were stuck closed and never report a fault. My friend the hammer fixed them, but I know they should be replaced. Close by lightnings can cause this problem. The programing was good.

Thanks!!

Archived