C4 Forums | Control4

Intercom to speaker

Something that seems easy and would be very nice would be the ability to use a touch screen to 'talk through' in-roof speakers in another room... This seems such an obvious option but does not seem to be available or am I missing something?

I would love to wake my daughters up by speaking through their roof speakers in the morning... They might not though :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Something that seems easy and would be very nice would be the ability to use a touch screen to 'talk through' in-roof speakers in another room... This seems such an obvious option but does not seem to be available or am I missing something?

I would love to wake my daughters up by speaking through their roof speakers in the morning... They might not though :-)

I would also like to do this. Been looking for this option for about a year. I also think it is crazy this feature is not available.

• 3 years later...
On 1/12/2019 at 12:37 PM, Destroyer of Worlds said:

Pre-recorded is the only option (e.g., make a .wav or .mp3 recording then load and use in announcements targeted to certain rooms).

Seems painfully obvious that in the app on our phones we should be able to pick any room and speak thru it, but alas, painfully obvious is not in C4's skill set.

not the case see my above suggestion on using alans driver.

• 2 weeks later...

I did intercom between two rooms the other day (you know proper two way intercom where you can hear live what's going on in each room... ) using just my voice (no TS) and 2 x portable Amazon Echo dots over wifi (can't recall the exact total price but it was about 100 bucks give or take) with zero set up fees, zero hassle and it just worked straight out of the box straight away - something I tried to do between two C4 portable TS's a while back for about 3-4k AUD (one of which has now completely frozen so I have tossed it into landfill as you can't even sell it for parts on ebay - there is no market without pro available for the end user community)...Anyway I tried doing intercom with C4 for near on several years for 3-4K plus the cost of a couple of drivers that were eventually supported (not Alan's...different TS to TS setup...this was C4's direct licence nonsense) - then weren't supported (what with all carry on re license changes etc at the time...it was so arduous I forget the details) anyway, I simply gave up using C4 for this task as it never worked properly and now I DIY intercom (look mom no hands) via Amazon (which tuned up after a simple online order) for pretty much nicks just sayin...

So for this task, why wouldn't you just buy echo dots for every room at 30 bucks a pop that's $300 total for intercom throughout a 10 room house and use drop in? Drop in is amazing. It just works and the Alexa "smarts" even automatically turn down the volume of whats playing on your Alexa controlled other Spotify Connect sources/speakers in the same room just prior to the drop in intercom session starting...allowing easy to hear intercom live between the rooms via Alexa . Forget the room name to intercom.???.. no problem! - Just say Alexa "drop in" and she asks you which room you want to call after listing them all!! Then when you ask Alexa to cancel the drop in, the volume of the other speakers playing music simply ramps up automatically again to right where you had it prior to intercom!!!....- its amazing....not to mention all the other control you get in each room via Alexa, with the 300 bucks total spend and all DIY.... - for probably about the same cost as one C4 truck roll just sayin...... 

Archived