C4 Forums | Control4

Can I use 1 zone of my C4 amp to power a passive sub?

I have a in-wall passive sub (Episode dual 8" subs in sealed box) in a master bedroom with 5 ceiling mounted Gallo Micro speakers. All speakers are driven from a Onkyo rack mounted AVR. I have the sub out from the AVR to a RCA splitter (to get left and right RCA inputs) for zone 1 of my C4 8 zone matrix amp (C4-16AMP3- B). FYI, there is a 65" Samsung for the video and all other equipment is rack mounted along with the C4 amp, etc.

Question 1- How to I wire (and/or program the amp??) so I can bridge the left and right channels (of a single zone) to power the sub?

Question 2- How can I get the amp to power the sub in this setup? I assume it can be done but if I have to purchase a dedicated sub amp for this setup I don't mind but I have a few extra zones of power sitting unused.

1 - you already are - you're splitting the sub out so both channels have all the info. Do you even need to? does it require two speaker cables? You could just use the sub-out to one channel.

2 - you'd have to do it via programming - if room turns on, set output x to input y, set volume to desired level for relative sub level. The Onkyo's sub out will handle the volume changes by itself, so the amp out volume would just be finding out what relative level you want the subs at.

It can be done, but consider the Ohm and wattage ratings before you set this all up?

Thanks for the great info! I will research to see if I can bridge the L + R channels of the c4 amp to get maximum power to the sub (it's wired with a single speaker cable). As suggested I will also confirm ohm and wattage to confirm all is well before going that route.

I will have my installer update the programming to allow the sub to work as noted.

• 1 month later...

I have done this before with a media scene, so the sub 'zone' volume follows the speaker 'zone' volume without a bunch of programming necessary.  It was done with a stereo zone though, with no variable sub out that follows the main volume, but you could still use a media scene.

Archived