C4 Forums | Control4

Feature Update Wishlist For 2.8

control4user007

equally awesome! If it works with Kodi.... would it be similar with plex? I have very limited knowledge of both servers but my understanding is they are both derivatives of XBMC? Or rather plex is a derivative of XBMC and KODI is a renamed newer version of XBMC?

No it will not work with Plex though i might do the same for Plex as well if sales of KODI full go well.  Alot of work goes into a driver of this size.  It is highly unlikely that i will ever recoup the cost but hey its a fun driver to write.  KODI is XBMC's new name.  Plex used KODI's code to make its Plex Home Theater software.

Nope.  You misunderstand.  What you're looking at is the start of the Kodi FULL driver development.  It allows full KODI library integration into Control4 including tv shows and will control your KODI system.  Think of the sonos driver but for video.

Do you have an ETA on this?  Really looking forward to upgrading to the FULL version if this is part of what's included!

Do you have an ETA on this?  Really looking forward to upgrading to the FULL version if this is part of what's included!

Yes this is part of the Full driver and will work with any Control4 from OS 2.6 onwards.  No ETA on when it will be released.  It will probably take a few more months.

We will be offering an upgrade path for people who have purchased the LITE driver.  So for now please continue to enjoy the LITE driver.

I want new Control4 puck sized switches and dimmers that are "full sized" modules. Meaning that I do not need to put a standard switch in front of the C4 module. Perfect would be to support Gira faceplates.....

I want new Control4 puck sized switches and dimmers that are "full sized" modules. Meaning that I do not need to put a standard switch in front of the C4 module. Perfect would be to support Gira faceplates.....

I can honestly say I have no clue what that means, but it looks like a non-US need?

I can honestly say I have no clue what that means, but it looks like a non-US need?

It is for European useres.

We have square boxes for light and power fixtures, so the us switches don't fit.

There is a "puck" sized switch and dimmer (meaning square box compatible) but goes behind a standard/dumb switch in the wall box. But in 99% there is not enough room for the c4 module and switch. The c4 module is quite thick - almost an inch. Furthermore it is not as slick to operate than the "real thing".

For more info I can post a picture if needed

It would be nice to see some more updates to the Comfort interface (which has improved significantly in recent releases), including:

1. The ability to copy schedules (Touchscreen and app) from one thermostat to certain other thermostats (currently the only option is all thermostats)

2. It would be nice to see the thermostat logos give more feedback. Currently a coloured flame shows it is in heat mode. This could be a grey flame for heat mode on, but set point reached so heating not active and a coloured flame for heating active. Ditto for cooling and auto.

It would also be nice to deal with the following:

1. Allowing different screen savers (photos) for different Touchscreens (I understand photo screen savers will return).

2. Being able to identify which Touchscreen (or iPad etc.) a command (e.g. A custom button) comes from so that feedback (or camera bookmark etc.) can be sent to this Touchscreen only.

3. Being able to lock down (using the access agent) certain Touchscreens and not others... E.g. I lock all mine down because I have two outside and I don't want someone opening my gate from my patio... But am happy that they do so from inside Touchscreens...

I really hope C4 read the wishlist posts!

I can't beleive C4 hasn't allowed this yet for exactly the reason you stated:

3. Being able to lock down (using the access agent) certain Touchscreens and not others... E.g. I lock all mine down because I have two outside and I don't want someone opening my gate from my patio... But am happy that they do so from inside Touchscreens...

While I have essentially posted this in a general discussion thread, I will post again here for when C4 looks at wishlist comments for 2.8 :-). I would like to see Keypads etc. looking to the controller for current LED settings every time they reboot. Otherwise, a controller on UPS can be out of sync with the keypads which default to LEDs off on reboot (programmable LEDs default to black). This should be easy as the controller (double clicking on keypads in HE proves this) has a colour for each LED which it stores separately to the actual LED colour! So sending this info to a keypad on a keypad reboot should be simple!

While I have essentially posted this in a general discussion thread, I will post again here for when C4 looks at wishlist comments for 2.8 :-). I would like to see Keypads etc. looking to the controller for current LED settings every time they reboot. Otherwise, a controller on UPS can be out of sync with the keypads which default to LEDs off on reboot (programmable LEDs default to black). This should be easy as the controller (double clicking on keypads in HE proves this) has a colour for each LED which it stores separately to the actual LED colour! So sending this info to a keypad on a keypad reboot should be simple!

another great recommendation

should be simple!

You are talking about storing constant LED information, PLUS adding the ability to 'see' when a keypad reboots (and essential to that, the keypad itself recognizing it's rebooting/powering up) vs when it just happens to check in.

This then also needs to do all this often.

That's going to be a surprising amount of processing power.

Hi Cy, Composer already stores the LED information which is what made me think of this. I had a powercut over the weekend (only 2 minutes until my Generator kicked in). The Contorller stayed on (due to UPS) but my keypads went off (as they are not on UPS). I then logged into composer and doubleclicked on the relevant keypad icon which showed the (correct) green LED colour for my alarm button (I have green for off and red for on - armed). But the keypad itself was black (no LED) after the reboot.

All that is needed is an on-boot command that asks the Controller (if it is online) for the current LED colours... Sounds simple? And half the job is already done?

I know on Composer Pro you can see the number of reboots (and boots) that a keypad does... So it is conversant off booting up which should mean that a call on-boot is quite an easy process to add?

Just thought of this: when using my iPhone app vs the myHome PC app on my Mac, the load times are very much different - the myHome PC app takes significantly longer to load.  It looks like myHome PC loads the entire project at launch every time.  Maybe they could implement something similar to the iPhone/iPad app, so it checks to see if the project has been updated or a refresh has happened (maybe a project version number, incremented whenever the refresh navigator is pushed), and decide if they should reload the entire project or just load a cached copy of the project.  

Seems simple enough, but maybe its more complex (as it always usually is :) ) .

Also allow myHome PC to have anywhere access like the iPhones/iPads.  Mine doesn't seem to do this now, and I can't get the web version to work reliably for whatever reason (when I did get it once, it took FOREVER to load, so the myHome PC might be a better alternative when I'm on the road with my laptop).

Just thought of this: when using my iPhone app vs the myHome PC app on my Mac, the load times are very much different - the myHome PC app takes significantly longer to load. It looks like myHome PC loads the entire project at launch every time. Maybe they could implement something similar to the iPhone/iPad app, so it checks to see if the project has been updated or a refresh has happened (maybe a project version number, incremented whenever the refresh navigator is pushed), and decide if they should reload the entire project or just load a cached copy of the project.

Seems simple enough, but maybe its more complex (as it always usually is :) ) .

Also allow myHome PC to have anywhere access like the iPhones/iPads. Mine doesn't seem to do this now, and I can't get the web version to work reliably for whatever reason (when I did get it once, it took FOREVER to load, so the myHome PC might be a better alternative when I'm on the road with my laptop).

The MyHome app is the same code as the controllers run for navigator that is why

Hi Cy, Composer already stores the LED information which is what made me think of this. I had a powercut over the weekend (only 2 minutes until my Generator kicked in). The Contorller stayed on (due to UPS) but my keypads went off (as they are not on UPS). I then logged into composer and doubleclicked on the relevant keypad icon which showed the (correct) green LED colour for my alarm button (I have green for off and red for on - armed). But the keypad itself was black (no LED) after the reboot.

All that is needed is an on-boot command that asks the Controller (if it is online) for the current LED colours... Sounds simple? And half the job is already done?

I know on Composer Pro you can see the number of reboots (and boots) that a keypad does... So it is conversant off booting up which should mean that a call on-boot is quite an easy process to add?

Director AFAIK is set to not send a double command (meaning a command to do something it thinks is already done) ever. How far that is entered into the settings (in other words can it be changed) I do not know. That is half the problem. In addition, I don't think the KEYPAD sends CURRENT LED color info, so composer cannot SEE if it is different than it should be. Even if it does, you're using "power on/power off" programming, when on existing devices this would fall under 'current led color' at least if I'm understanding your programming correctly.

I'm not even sure if this info is even relevant at all, because we're talking about the older style 6-button, the new devices may well store the set on/off colors locally already, making the point moot (I truly do not know if this is the case - nor can I find that info directly, nor do I have an easy case scenario where I could check at this time.

Boot count is info received from the node if memory serves - that does not indicate that the controller is actually seeing the boot, and I doubt it stores before and after info to make a comparison either.

See where this is not going to be 'easy'?

I'm not saying it isn't a valid request by itself, but you are asking C4 to 'fix' something that in reality has a root cause that is completely out of their hands - frequent power-outs.

I doubt it would (or should) be high on their priority list.

That is assuming that the 'issue' even holds true on current gen devices....

Also allow myHome PC to have anywhere access like the iPhones/iPads

As msfgreen already mentioned, MyHomePC app is directly related/copied from the (previous gen) touchscreens flash app.

No more no less.

This than runs INSIDE adobe AIR to work, creating a boxed up environment (which is why it works on both Windows and Apple operating systems).

So to make something like that happen (and I'd really like it to) they'd have to create a new 'app' for Windows and likely a separate one for Apple.

and i dont see that happening.  I dont see the demand for that.  They packaged it into an Air app IMHO because it was easy and there was some demand.  Get an old iphone or android tablet and run with it...

and i dont see that happening.  I dont see the demand for that.  They packaged it into an Air app IMHO because it was easy and there was some demand.  Get an old iphone or android tablet and run with it...

That's probably accurate, but from a dealer/programmer perspective it'd be very nice if they did ;)

Searching in the music library like within the sonos 8 driver us a must for future releases. I really miss that since I saw that working with the sonos driver.

Did some announcement programming last night, and thought it might be useful to be able to format the text in the announcement.  For instance, If I want the letters to be a larger size, or bold and italics.  Also the ability to insert many variables (like in an email), so I can for example fire an announcement that shows all the remote's battery levels.  

EDITED:

Gathered all the feedback in a list at the top of the thread so if C4 or someone wants an overview of the OS 2.8 feature requests posted here.  PM me if I missed something or didn't get something right.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I read about the new Zwave Plus standard and the available Zwave sensor lineup I think it would be an intelligent move of C4 to make native Zwave integration possible via an addon maybe on a subscription basis if it is difficult to implement - i.e. via a USB antenna

Archived