C4 Forums | Control4

iOS thermostat bug

There appears to be a bug on the latest iOS iPad app. When I go into a thermostat schedule on my iPad (air 2) and then click on one of the entries to edit it, the app bombs out. I never had this problem on 2.6 and don't think I had it on 2.7 so suspect it is a 2.7.1 problem. Has anyone else noticed this? My iPhone app works fine!

Short story: 

Control4 is in the final stages of vaildation and will submit the updated app to Apple this week. 

Long story: 

The crash occurred because the iPad version of a xib file did not exist. Apparently, the latest xCode now generates both a ~iPad and ~iPhone version of a xib file if the build target for a project is set to iPhone/iPad. Our pod spec file for 2.7.1 was only specified iPhone, hence the iPad version of xib files never get generated, and the app crashed when the resource is not located. Earlier, we could ship a generic xib and it would be loaded and used by iPhone and iPad. This is no longer the case. 

This is now fixed. The approval process on Apple's side typically takes 2 to 3 weeks once we run through our test and then post for their approval. You should see the fix on the store later this month, or early next. 

Thank you and sorry for the inconvience this has caused. 

Regards, 

Matt

The Control4 for iOS 2.7.2 version has been released on the Apple App store. You may have already received the update if you have production installed from the store.

This release included critical fixes for crashes in thermostat scheduling due to a build issue (fixed the comfort crashes), msp fixes, and other fixes.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback as it's very helpful to ensure you have a stable release in your home.

Regards,

Matt

It's great to see Control4 listening to feedback.  Here is some from my customers that have had to experience numerous bugs on the last number of builds from 2.5.3 on, and some prior.  It would be nice if there was a better testing process for the platform, as there have been way too many issues as of late, not minor glitches but things that are in your face and at times make the system unusable.

As a client put it to me a few weeks ago, he spend 10s of thousands of dollars, and feels for what he paid he shouldn't be having so many issues any time he updates.  He owns his own business and stated they typically do monthly updates, paid less then he did for his Control4 system, yet very rarely has an issue relate to an update in his server, or business software.  That is not to say it never happens but he said it's extremely rare, and almost never something that makes the system unusable at times.

Keep in mind the users on this forum have more patience for this type of thing then a typical owner, as most people expect to come home and just use the home and not have to wrestle their system into submission.  The average user doesn't care to know about programming, doesn't want to have to pull out batteries, or reboot $1000+ touchscreens. 

Imagine if your cars OS had the same type of issues we have faced recently or required the same degree of of troubleshooting.  Many times consumers are paying much more then the value of their car for their Control4 system.

Hopefully there are refinements to the quality control process being put in place, also it might be time for a revamp of the beta process, the current one doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

Theory -

As a dealer please reach out to your sales manager with this feedback, as we are not receiving these complaints from other dealers and can help your organization with the required training as needed.

Regards,

Matt

I'm not sure what training is required for things such as the 2.6 log rotate patch, intercom patch, file descriptors patch, av switch patch, utf 8 patch, multi-room audio patch, directorstate backup filename patch, or the communication agent lack of stability with 2.7, and numerous other launch issues with 2.7 that required 2.7.1, which still didn't fix everything.

12 Patches for 2.5.x

6 Patches for 2.6.x

What would the required training be to not have these issue arise and disrupt a clients usage of their system?  I was never made aware of some special training offered not have clients impacted by these issues, it's great to hear something exists.  What is the name of the training so I can ask my sales manager?

Is there also a training offered for mounting the new T3 touchscreens while the design issues are being worked out so that all dealers have less issues in the field while the parts are being retooled?

Theory, just playing devil's advocate here, but it sure seems like C4 users on this forum update their systems very soon after the update is released, shouldn't the type of user you are talking about wait a few months before loading updates?  I know there are some issues that still are there months after an update, but those are rare.  I understand sometimes new releases are necessary for new functionality.

Theory, just playing devil's advocate here, but it sure seems like C4 users on this forum update their systems very soon after the update is released, shouldn't the type of user you are talking about wait a few months before loading updates?  I know there are some issues that still are there months after an update, but those are rare.  I understand sometimes new releases are necessary for new functionality.

I agree with you, a number of large dealers won't even load 2.7.x unless necessary, I know of a few that won't even sell the T3 touchscreens in the state they are right now lacking many features and the mounting issues. The problem is when certain updates are need and included in the new build, it's fix 2 things break 5 new things.  Also when customers apps on their device auto update and issues arise, and the interface has a miss match, or due to a home owners havey use of media you try to get them into the new media proxy updates, pool proxy updates, whatever the need.  Stability is never really months out because nothing is 100% fixed, and you always need the next build to fix some issues, yet too many new and major things pop up.

Right now is a bad time too because 2.7.x had many issues, still has issues after 2.7.1, but is required to sell any touchscreens on jobs moving forward.  The T3 screens lack a great deal of features existing customers are accustom to as day to day functionality.  

I agree with you Turls, but it's not easy to hold back updates, but it also should be the case of so many things slipping through the cracks of testing for a platform that runs peoples homes. Better testing, and processes are required.  Too many things dictate you need to move up in build, as there hasn't been a good sound release in some time, to have a holding pattern.

Theory -

It's hard for us to believe you're experiencing this many problems with so many products since you're last Control4 customer install was in early 2014. Please contact your Control4 Sales representative for additional information.

There's no need to continue these rants on a customer facing forum.

Matt

Also Turls, not sure if you are a dealer but keep in mind it's hard for dealers to typically charge for updating a system, especially when it is fixing outstanding issues, we try and schedule such things with other work being done on site, as to minimize lost hours.  Many times the updates spiral into a week long troubleshooting session requiring being on site to call C4 and many unbillable hours.  Clients are not happy about this nor am I.

One time an update ended up enabling wakeups randomly in rooms, this endup having my customers lights TV and Audio turn off in their kitchen while having dinner, it took many troubleshooting session, and me noticing something similar on my home and suggesting that to Control4 to figure out what it was, needless to say my customer was furious that it would be pitch black in their kitchen sometimes while cooking dinner other times while eating dinner.  3 young children and a few family members left in the dark numerous times didn't not leave them happy.

It's like in 2.7 the update wiped out all the setting in touchscreen for the send the panel back to a default room after a timeout period, I get calls on why is my touchscreen always on a different room. Husband changes the room, next morning wife goes to use that screen and my light are missing, or it's stuck on some other screen.  It's annoying and happens many too often.

Theory -

It's hard for us to believe you're experiencing this many problems with so many products since you're last Control4 customer install was in early 2014. Please contact your Control4 Sales representative for additional information.

There's no need to continue these rants on a customer facing forum.

Matt

If I am discussing updating systems, what does when my last install have to do with updating existing clients, please lets use some logic here.

You are well aware of many of these issues, you do recall all the patches released correct?

Also to you making public when my last install occurred, I was very sick for a good number of months and was not able to work much if any.  So yes there was not a number of install last year, although we have projects underway that have taken years for the construction to be completed.  Such as a project I have been working with my sales rep on for a few years now that we are just waiting for the finishing to take place in the coming months.

Matt please don't speak to a dealers business workings that you have extremely limited knowledge of, you see only when the last project was commissioned not what is in progress.

You have the ability to make the product release much better and many dealers would be "relieved" to know that this is getting some attention I hope this is a priority of yours and Control4's and this rests squarely on your shoulders and I think we all see you have the capabilities to make it happen, it just needs to come to fruition.  Us dealers are on the frontlines trying to get the sales and make Control4 the best Home Automation platform out there, we also trust you are doing the same from the inside.

Looking forward to seeing all things Control4 improve as they have substantially of the last 6 months, and moving towards a much better product overall.

Goodluck.

I'm actually happy that there are dealers out there like THEORY pushing C4 to improve its testing process.  I have had issues with almost every update that eventually needed to be fixed with further software updates throughout the several year life span of my system.  There is no communication with the end user that these are software wide issues and may or may not being worked on,  The first step I take is to contact my dealer who in turn must submit a ticket after testing my system.  My dealer hasn't yet charged me for the sometimes several hours he spends troubleshooting my system if C4 is at fault.  The big question is:  "Should the dealer or end user or C4 be expected to eat the costs of troubleshooting these issues?"

A more transparent knowledge base to the end user would be helpful.

Thanks. It's great to have a customer forum to gather feedback and find issues that can't always be replicated in other environments.

Matt

Agree - very positive to see additional Control4 participation/engagement in a customer forum.     

Sooo, here's a link to a problem with the C4 app not displaying the pool heater status correctly:   

http://www.c4forums.com/topic/17094-pool-heater-status-not-displaying-correctly-on-control4-app/ 

Archived