C4 Forums | Control4

privacy from dealer

Hello everyone - I am thinking about installing a C4 system, and it seems my dealer would have complete control over the system once it's installed. Does anyone know if this is the case? Would a dealer be able to monitor all of my internet traffic, and if so, is there any way to prevent that so I have some privacy?

That is *not* the case.

It is true your dealer could access your Control4 system if you set your system to be allowed to be accessed remotely by your dealer, but that is an option you can turn off.  If you have an issue with your dealer, you can also re-assign your dealer of record to a different Control4 dealer, such that the previous dealer couldn't connect to your system.

Lastly, your Control4 dealer can access your *Control4* equipment through the 4Sight connection to your home, not necessarily the rest of your Internet traffic, unless your dealer also installed a VPN, etc. on your Internet router, separate from the Control4 system.

How much your dealer can access also may depend on how your system is setup, for example, if your Control4 gear were setup on it's own subnet, and that network couldn't access your "home" network, there's no way within Control4's architecture that the dealer could get into your private network.

That said, Network Security is a more complicated topic than can be completely answered in a single post.

RyanE

A dealer would not be able to packet sniff or monitor your internet traffic just because there was a control4 box on the network any more than Apple can because there is an iPhone on the lan.

Control4 uses your home network to automate functionality, the automated traffic that interacts with the controller can be seen and logged. This could include camera images etc.

You could partition into Vlan and have a control4 one and a internet one but then your tablets would not see the controller and this is not really recommended.

My dealer has already setup my network (they installed the router, network switch, and wireless access points), and I noticed they were able to control my network settings remotely. For example, they were remotely able to setup a new wireless SSID. I'm not super tech savvy, but this made it seem like they had complete control over my entire network including all traffic that goes through it. 

I guess the stuff they have installed already isn't really a C4 system, although they will be installing all the C4 stuff later. I suppose I will need to ask them directly about my network privacy (but it's always nice to get an idea from outside parties like you guys).

they were remotely able to setup a new wireless SSID

Note that there are 'cloud controlled' access points where SSID, passwords for WiFi etc can be handled 'remotely' but that doesn't mean by a long shot that the dealer is actually ON your network in any way. They'd set it in the cloud, then the device does a check-in and loads the info. No direct access involved.

If ever you are worried about VPNs and stuff by a 'rogue' dealer - here's a simple solution. Get a cheap router, make sure it's on a different network subnet (ie different IP range, easily googled) and put it in between your system and the 'net'. VPN blocked in 95% of the cases. The remaining 5% - well you'd already be dealing with this all differently if your dealer is taking that sort of setup in hand.

If you block remote access under your account, you still have the ability to create a user profile for the dealer that only you can control - and change the password as required to allow dealer access when desired (or turn that option on/off as desired).

I'd strongly recommend NOT blocking remote access completely though - better to either work with your dealer, or if things go sour find another dealer and move over the 'dealer of choice' to that new one blocking the old one.

Your relationship with your dealer (and for that matter Control4 itself) should be one of trust (at least on matter of privacy). If not - move on.

any more than Apple can because there is an iPhone on the lan

Actually Apple could incorporate that quite easily if they so desired. They CAN do so - not meaning that that function is there. Mind you the fall-out once discovered (and it would be when, not if) would likely instantly kill the company.

The comparison would be more at the level of the app developers though.

Archived