C4 Forums | Control4

EDS MyQ Driver Revival - AND FREE

Hey folks.  It's been awhile.  I'll get to the MyQ stuff in a bit, but a little history on my disappearance.  First, let me state that I have signed no less than (3) NDAs with Control4 and I have no intention of violating those agreements.  With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets deleted.  There's a certain someone that has a habit of making threads disappear and crying wolf everytime something comes up that he disagrees with.

For some time I had been trying to get into the beta program.  About 18 months ago, it looked like that was going to happen as another C4 employee asked Matt to provide me access.  I signed NDA #2 and about a week later I was told that it was not possible since I was not a dealer and I had to access through the dealer forums.

Having worked in high tech for many years, I've seen my share of several alpha/beta programs and development processes.  Everyone has their own way of doing things, but this method of using a forum is beyond me.  I even offered to assist with setting up a proper beta system (as I doubt those over the beta program have been exposed to other ways of doing things).  However, no harm no foul, it's not my program and they can run it as they wish.

Fast forward to around the time 2.6 went to beta.  I had been talking with THEORY about doing some driver development work for them on the side.  I agreed as I thought it would be fun.  There was no money exchanged as I really don't care about the money.  I've worked very hard to get to a point where any agreement is a loss leader for me.  I'm not saying that to sound like an ass, but to drive the point home that I really do do this for fun and I enjoy it!!

After teaming up with Theory, my forums account was immediately deleted (after I signed NDA #3) for reasons which I still don't know.  About a week later it was mysteriously reinstated.  I participated in beta programs for 2.6, 2.7 and 2.7.1.  Based on the beta pool (yes, someone sent a list of everyone in the beta and all email addresses out - major no-no) and the participation, I would judge that I made a significant contribution to 2.6 and 2.7 (not so much for 2.7.1 as I've been pretty busy with work).  I stopped participating in this forum after I was accepted into the beta program for fear that a certain someone would take something I said out of context and twist the truth (as we've certainly seen just a few minutes ago).  

A few weeks ago, I no longer have forums access (not beta only, but nothing).  So I sent an email to Matt and asked if he could reset my password as I couldn't login and the "forgot password" link did not recognize my email.  Two weeks went by with no communication (very professional).  I sent another note.  I get this cryptic response about Theory and nothing he can do.  So I call up Steve at Theory.  It had been awhile since Steve and I had talked as he was ill for some time and I had been busy with work.  I haven't heard both sides of the story so I will not comment on the details, but THEORY got kicked from the forums as well.

About two weeks ago, I get a an extremely strange message from Jane Scotland about the Excel file I put together to pull the driver list.  She mention the data was not protected but asked me to remote the file from Bitbucket and "cease accessing the data using this method".  I hardly think that pulling the list once a month is a strain on the API, so I have no idea what this was all about.  Either way, I complied with her request as I really could care less anymore.  

I have supported Control4 by word of mouth with many friends and colleagues.  My former boss outfitted his entire vacation home with C4 gear after my recommendation and two colleagues have done the same in the past year.  With this strange behavior (including C4 employees publicly disclosing information about dealers) I am not sure how much faith I have in the company.  I have been in communication with a Sr. Dir. in the company that I have been working with and out of respect for him, I will keep the little faith I have that those like him that are actually in charge of the things that matter will make the necessary personnel changes for the company.  I'm not sure everyone at C4 understands that it is a public company and they should represent the company in a professional manner in any forum where they are speaking as a C4 employee.  

I said I was not going to support the company anymore as I've never gotten a thank you for my assistance in helping to make the products better, but instead get the door slammed in my face without the courtesy of an explanation.  However, if I can't help the company, maybe I can help the Control4 community.  I've been working on the MyQ driver off and on for the past year and will officially be releasing it for free.  

I broke something in the last build but hope to have it figured out by tomorrow and will post the latest version in the downloads area with no license keey needed.

I am not sure if I will keep my C4 gear or just swap out for Crestron or Savant, so I may open the source up in the future.  

Enjoy!

Edit 12/11/15: Updated to support newer Wireless Garage Door Opener models

EDS_MyQ_Chamberlain.zip

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question. Many feature adds and should be greater stability. I fixed a lot of issues and drastically improved error handling. As this post has survived, I will continue to improve so send your suggestions and any bugs you run into. The release notes are in the driver docs but I will pull out and post when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. Many feature adds and should be greater stability. I fixed a lot of issues and drastically improved error handling. As this post has survived, I will continue to improve so send your suggestions and any bugs you run into. The release notes are in the driver docs but I will pull out and post when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does your driver include any features that the HouseLogix MyQ doesn't have?  Just wondering.  Wish I came across yours, as I paid for the HouseLogix one already, months ago.  However, if there are more features, I'd want to try yours out.  Was just wondering.  Thanks!

Yes, there are many more features.  I'd urge you to use whichever driver suits you best, however, one of the goals with this driver is to expand as much functionality as possible while keeping the quality of the code/error handling as a priority and minimizing network traffic.

I need to update the documents as they don't do the drivers justice, but have attached them here.

MyQDriverDocs.zip

• 4 months later...

My dealer just u/l'ed the drivers.  The controller driver has been sitting on "refreshing device inventory from web service" from the second I put in my username and pass.  Any suggestions?

galvitron78,

Turn on debugging (level = debug), re-enter your username/password, make sure polling is enabled, then try resetting bindings.  Cut and paste what is in the Lua window and email to me (eric@ericscales.com).  I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what is going on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

is there a readme file that explaines how to upload this? I have composer pro , i just not sure how to load it, when i go to add new driver and open the file, there are no files int he folder.  Anyways........do you have a readme that would explain how to upload this into my project and use?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Would anyone know what would cause my garage door to re-open once it reaches a closed state?  It seems to be happening about 50% of the time and only when this driver is installed.  If i remove it from C4, my door seems to work okay with the transmitter and the MyQ chamberlain app.  I have adjusted the travel distance on the opener itself which didn't solve the problem which leads me to believe it's the driver or a short somewhere.  Does anyone know of a setting within the driver that may help remedy this issue?

Thanks,

Archived