C4 Forums | Control4

Audio switch configuration advice needed

jfh

I have an 8x8 HDMI switch with two unused inputs and two unused outputs.

I have a control4 8x8 audio amp/switch. Inputs are full, but I can steal one.

I want to add 2 more video sources to the video matrix and have the sound available in the audio matrix.

Dealer suggests I get a 16x16 audio switch and use the C4 audio switch as a dumb amp and run 2 new RCA audio inputs from each of the two new video devices I want to include.

My idea is to use one of the unused HDMI switch outputs and use an HDMI to RCA converter as an input to feed audio from the two new video devices (a TiVo and a Roku) the 8x8 audio switch instead.

will my idea work? $35 retail for an HDMI-RCA converter vs $1400 retail for a C4-16ZAMSV3

No offense meant at all, but your idea is a science project and not the right way to do it.  Also, those "converters" will require you to change audio output of your sources to 2-channel stereo only, so if you have a surround sound zone, you won't get surround on those sources.

Roku's are so cheap, you can easily put one of these in every zone you want.

No offense taken ... I appreciate the input.

The issue wasn't looking at if I could save $ on an extra Roku or two; it was if I could avoid having to buy a 16x16 audio switch to get an extra input or two for audio only zones.

I hadn't thought about the 2 channel issue though. That may not be a big deal, but it's something to consider.

you could get a more expensive decoder that is capable of handle surround sound. quality will count here as not bug out your matrix. but you are on the right track. also if you have a multizone amp nearby you could feed audio into it and the multi zone out to your matrix.

Archived