C4 Forums | Control4

Samsung TV Drivers

I just purchased the 78 Curved Samsung

Are there drivers available that will allow me to operate the smart tv functions of the new samsung (One Connect Box) and corresponding apps?

Thank you 

Peter

There are drivers or your dealer can create one.  However, in my experience, using the apps built in to TV's nowadays leaves a lot to be desired.  May be better off using a Roku or AppleTV player.  IMO, TV's just don't have the (great) processing power required for todays streaming media needs. 

i typically create a dvd driver as a stand in for the smart tv functions so that tv treats it as an input. Downside is getting out of the apps can be confusing. the only tide and true method is to shut off the tv wait and turn it back on. the 78 is a great tv and breezes through the apps. The "smart TV's" you get for under 2k are the ones not so smart.

• 2 weeks later...

Try to control your Samsung using the RS-232 Ex-Link connector, it work perfect and there is drivers for that, no IR blaster in sight and response time is ultra-fast. Nothing to do with the Smart feature of the TV but this is by far the best way to control a Samsung until we'll get proper IP control like Sony.

funny I have a samsung 8000 series and was thinking about upgrading to the sony xbr9000 series.  night and day difference in picture quality but 2x the price.  looks like IP control adds a +1.

You won't get IP - Samsung's seemingly unwilling to make their units WoL.

On a positive note, C4 just released a long lineup of serial TV drivers for Samsung

I can't see these in Composer yet?  Should they be showing up already?

There are drivers or your dealer can create one.  However, in my experience, using the apps built in to TV's nowadays leaves a lot to be desired.  May be better off using a Roku or AppleTV player.  IMO, TV's just don't have the (great) processing power required for todays streaming media needs. 

While I agree with you for the most part, don't you need to use the TV's integrated player if you want to watch the content in 4K/UHD?  The OP didn't specify but I am guessing that the TV he mentions is a 4K device.

• 2 weeks later...

Tv Samsung ex-link driver is any driver from the online C4 database that is noted "serial". I usually use UN55F6400AF[serial], it work with all model, even the 32". ex-link control is very nice, no IR blaster in sight and great response time.

• 3 weeks later...

the new samsung drivers use the media proxy for the Smart hub i have been unable to experience this for myself but i do have an older samsung that i might upgrade with the evo kit.

There is a serial and ir combo driver available. I have used it and it works well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm trying to get a Samsung UN40JU6500 to work with EX-Link and the latest C4 drivers.  I have read through the instructions, verified the EX-Link cable pinout and tried several models of Samsung TV that seem to use the same driver without success.  I went into the Advanced menu on the TV and made sure that the EX-Link mode was set to UART and tried turning hotel mode on and off without success.  Anyone have any other tips to get this working?

Edit:  I forgot to mention that I was able to control this TV through the EX Link port from a Crestron system.  So perhaps my EX Link cable is bad or I need to modify the C4 drivers?  I'm reading through the LUA Code and there are a few Todo items.  Does anyone have any experience using these drivers with Samsung panels?  Did you need to make any modifications to make the drivers work?

I just got JS8500 controlled through EX-link. The only issue is the smart hub.  I cannot activate with the current driver.  If i use the original remote to activate it, the C4 driver will navigate without issues.  It just just the single command that appears to not function correctly.

BTW, i did not have to activate EX-link through the advanced menu, it just worked, once I rebooted the TV.

Update on my first post, I have a Samsung UN65JU7100 connected to a Crestron system that is working just fine.  I think that either the UN40JU6500 doesn't support EX-Link or I have a bad TV, bad cable or some other settings messed up.  Thanks for confirming that EX-Link works with the C4 drivers on the JS8500.  What is the size or full model of your TV for reference?

The TV is Samsung UN65JS8500.

And to be clear, the EX-link works, but we cannot get the smart hub command to work properly.  We currently have to use the IR signal to bring up the Smart Hub.  But yes, EX-link works for all other features.  I believe my installer used the certified C4 driver which is currently in the database.

In other terms, does it mean that you use EX-link on a UN65JS8500, you lose access to all smart TV features such as Netflix and Amazon TV for example?

I recently bought a Sony XBR65X850C but thinking of sending it back to replace by the Samsung UN65JS8500 as it is much thinner on the wall.

Anyone has views on image quality between both sets as well as control by C4. SDDP on Sony is nice and works "quite" well and I am concerned about control by C4 on Samsung.

Also heard that Sony has much better and much more "natural" image than Samsung sets. 

Thanks for all views and feed-back.

The Smart TV features are still there.  The only issue seems to be with the C4 driver trying to bring up the Smart TV app screen.  The Ex-link driver doesn't seem to send this command correctly.  So instead, my installer uses the IR driver to sent the "Smart Hub" command to bring the smart TV window.  Then the EX-link will resume control over the smart TV functions.  I can navigate and control the Smart TV apps (Netflix, Amazon, Plex, etc) all with the C4 Ex-Link driver (once the Smart Hub app screen has been activated).  I hope that makes sense. 

The installer was going to submit the information back to Control4, to try to prompt them for an updated driver with the appropriate ex-line / Smart Hub command, as it is possible that Samsung has changed something in their firmware.  The drivers are supposed to be certified, but it sounds like samsung has made minor changes in firmware before, and C4 implements changes to compensate.

As for the picture quality and image...Out of the box, the image was overly saturated and way too bright, after a proper calibration, and turning some automatic 'features' off, the image is stunning.  I go for a natural look with realistic skin tones.  I am very happy with the screen.

All in all, it is a great TV so far.  The C4 driver control is 95% there.  One last little tweak and i can remove the IR bud and all will be good.

Now, if Samsung just put in a discrete code to put the TV into 'Game Mode', instead of digging through menu commands, it would be near perfect.

Archived