C4 Forums | Control4

Let's Be Honest; Who Here Actually Uses the OSD?

Who here actually uses the on screen display? I don't even think I am going to hook my HC-250 to a TV. I just don't see ever using it.

I hope the next controller drops the OSD and audio services from the controllers. Put more time and effort into the audio proxy and Sonos driver.

the OSD is perfect for new users and guests in my house... even my kids can easily navigate it to watch what they want. without the OSD, im stuck explaining to guests hwo to use the system

Who here actually uses the on screen display? I don't even think I am going to hook my HC-250 to a TV. I just don't see ever using it.

I hope the next controller drops the OSD and audio services from the controllers. Put more time and effort into the audio proxy and Sonos driver.

This ^

Its also good for selecting music both local digital and Sonos.

Also it makes the system very intuitive to guests. They have figured out tv use without any help. When you show them what the remote controls it amazes them.

You all think it is easier for guests to use the OSD to watch TV than to use the LCD on an SR-250 or to use a touchscreen? It just always seems like a lot of navigating to me but maybe for a guest it isn't.

I have also felt for the past couple of years the OSD has held back the C4 UI on the touchscreens and phone/tablet apps.

Go on...

Ha.  Don't have much more info.  Our Sonos rep was out the other week and we were talking about the integration.  He said Sonos and C4 are actively working together to create a new driver.  He is saying it should be rock solid with all the features in the sonos app available within C4.

I use it occasionally for quick camera monitoring and use it to access my NAS for video files through my media player. Don't use it often. In hindsight, I wish I wouldn't have bought 6 HC250s and instead would have used the Z2IR adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use it occasionally for quick camera monitoring and use it to access my NAS for video files through my media player. Don't use it often. In hindsight, I wish I wouldn't have bought 6 HC250s and instead would have used the Z2IR adapters.

Time to put 5 of them on eBay and switch out?

Time to put 5 of them on eBay and switch out?

Trust me. I've been thinking about it. They are all -1 so they have a license built in. I'd prolly keep 3 in my main viewing areas. My only concern is the overall value lost.

I'd think it's almost not worth the trouble now that the install is done.  I've seen 250s with the licenses go for around $300 on eBay.  I think the Z2IRs are around $120 or so.  Then there is the time to physically swap them and then the programming.  I know that's not very difficult but still to be considered.  So you could get some of your money back but not nearly the initial investment.  

I use it all the time.  I use C4 as my everyday music player along with the Songza driver.  I have no need for Sonos, as I'm not really interested in any other music services.  The music player works well, actually.

I don't use it much, maybe to check locks or alarm system. I definitely wouldn't use it to scroll movies. Very slow with my 1300 titles it has to go through. Plus I would rather see my beautiful kodi(xbmc) navigation screens.

I use it for lighting irrigation and security spot checks. Typically no control. 

Sales prospective i love using the onscreen to navigate on the features of control4 has some power on a 80 inch tv, for potential clients.

Archived