C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon Echo

TheaterExtreme

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Relliom said:

hey chope...my dealer set this up for me... may i please know why some lights and devices work simply by going

(device) off

whereas others can only be controlled via

Turn (device) off 

That has nothing to do with the driver, but rather a function of the Amazon voice recognition and command processing.  Over time the Echo will get smarter ad it recognizes device names (and/or you run additional voice training).  Initially, if there are words Echo processes as being similar to other known keywords, the "turn" phrasing will be needed for Echo to recognize the command phrase relates to Phillips Hue.

one trick - run through all of the combinations for all of the keywords and commands you are using multiple times mixing up using  <device> <command>, turn <device> <command>, turn <device> <command> lights, turn <command> <device>.  Just listen for the "ok" - you don't have to have any programming for the events, as you are improving the Echo voice recognition which has nothing to do with the driver.

You will find that once Echo consistently parses the device, you will have more flexibility with the phrasing.  Note also that there are some times where Echo just gets stupid and doesn't seem to process any auxiliary devices even though basic functions work.  I don't quite understand this, but it seems to happen when there is a server issue.  I've seen this about once a month for about an hour. If it happens, don't panic.  Look at the Amazon ap.  If all the devices are there, rerun discovery.  If you don't get the expected response, just wait a bit or to the next day and everything will be fine again.

On 1/31/2016 at 10:50 AM, chopedogg88 said:

How about everyone replies to this thread with some good, specific trigger phrases which work well with the driver.  I will aggregate them all and add them to the documentation and to the www.epic-systems.com website!

Looks like Choppo been chopped. I just tried to eamil him to buy the driver and I got a msg saying he can't receive messages.

:(

3 minutes ago, schrady said:

No worries. I bought it from your site. Could you please see that its emailed to me today? thanks

Schrady

If you provided a valid email address when you placed the order, you should receive an email immediately with the license key and download links.

1 minute ago, chopedogg88 said:

If you provided a valid email address when you placed the order, you should receive an email immediately with the license key and download links.

Got it. Just used my secondary email and didnt see it right away. Wish me luck setting her up.

1 hour ago, chopedogg88 said:

I havent got the echo yet. Prime is taking 5 days. Go figure that out.........It'll be here Monday

1 hour ago, chopedogg88 said:

Not to me. Are you having some kind of issue setting up the driver?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, schrady said:

I havent got the echo yet. Prime is taking 5 days. Go figure that out.........It'll be here Monday

Did you just order it today?  I ordered something yesterday and Prime said it wouldn't be here until Monday which I thought was odd however it already shipped and UPS said it will be here tomorrow putting it at it's normal two days.  

Ok, I just got my Echo Wednesday night and had this all setup in 30 min. This is freaking cool! The commands execute very fast. I have it centrally located in a great room that connects multiple rooms and I can see this being useful for a lot of routine things. I have it turning lights on and off, executing scenes, controlling a ceiling fan, switching media sources, etc.

Of course, now my mind begins to ponder the possibilities of having a true (non-Hue-based) driver and being able to customize more what Alexa understands. Amazon nailed the voice recognition here. If they handle the platform right (ASK and Skills) and keep opening it up farther, this could be a huge integration device bringing together many 3rd-parties. Ari, I think you guys should forge ahead with a Skill-based driver. Somebody has to do it. C4 should already have one IMO.

Seen this? https://bitbucket.org/c4disruptiveengineeringteam/c4-echo-lambda

• 3 weeks later...

If you were building a house and installing control4, would you integrate an Amazon echo dot into each of the main rooms? You could embed it into the wall with the USB charging cable in the wall (and do you need an audio cable as well?). A downside is that technology will presumably change quite rapidly. Would it be better to just have one freestanding in each room so it can be upgraded when required?

3 hours ago, bdo21 said:

If you were building a house and installing control4, would you integrate an Amazon echo dot into each of the main rooms? You could embed it into the wall with the USB charging cable in the wall (and do you need an audio cable as well?). A downside is that technology will presumably change quite rapidly. Would it be better to just have one freestanding in each room so it can be upgraded when required?

Instead of imbedding the Dot itself into the wall, I'd have a gang plate with the 3.5mm connection (audio out), USB power and Ethernet) every place near where I would want one.  (Echo/Dot only use wireless now, but I suspect a future version will support PoE,. Think Alexa pucks on the ceiling ...)

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

My Alexa no longer says "OK" after turning a device on / off (I.e. Executing a control4 command). Now she simply beeps at me... Is anyone else experiencing this also?

I'm not home to check, but Amazon does update weekly, so maybe something changed there?

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

My Alexa no longer says "OK" after turning a device on / off (I.e. Executing a control4 command). Now she simply beeps at me... Is anyone else experiencing this also?

Same here.  I can't find any settings to change it back :(

Archived