C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon Echo

TheaterExtreme

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, ziocan said:

Question, is there a specific reason for the minimum 2.8 requirement for this driver? I am running 2.7.2 at this time and wonder whether it could work with my current release.

Yes - in our testing, there was an issue with the dynamic dropdown field type that we use in the driver's properties.  It wasn't working properly in composer 2.7.  We certainly wouldn't just make up a requirement of 2.8 and eliminate potential customers just for the heck of it.

Any specific reason you don't want to update your system to 2.8?

By the way - we are about to release (most likely this weekend if all goes well) a new version of the driver with some nice enhancements!

-Figured a way past the 30 trigger limitation!

-Implemented "Set to x" value command for each trigger.  For example..."Set Living Room Lights to 70", or "Set Living Room Music to 25"

-Print Trigger List action button for printing list of triggers, for copy/paste to create customer documentation more easily

Stay Tuned!

Sorry for the delay...we ran into some weirdness with the event ordering...we are pretty sure its due to something with driverworks that isn't working consistently.  Still might be some weirdness where events go out of order, but then they seem to fix themselves if/when you add another trigger.

Anyways- we do have the 30 trigger limit stuff sorted out/eliminated, and we have SET to value events implemented.  We would like to make available a pre-release copy of the driver for existing customers for "beta" testing.  See download links below!  I am still fine-tuning the documentation, so please let me know of any suggestions for enhancements.

A Few things to note:

1) when migrating from v106 to v109, "Set" events for existing triggers will be added to the bottom of the list.  For any new triggers, they will be listed along with the ON/OFF/UP/DOWN events for each trigger.

2) when discovering over about 35 triggers, Alexa may report that no devices were discovered.  This seems to be a bug on the Amazon side of things, because the devices are actually discovered just fine, and if you use them they will work.  If you are in the Alexa app, tab off of the Smart Home screen and back to it (after Echo is done talking), and you'll see them.

3) PLEASE BACKUP YOUR PROJECT BEFORE UPGRADING!!!  we are not responsible for any lost programming during Beta testing :) 

4) Enjoy!

Download Links:

Driver: http://null.to/ari/download/beta/echo/amazon_echo.c4z

Docs: http://null.to/ari/download/beta/echo/amazon_echo.pdf

-Epic Systems

• 1 month later...

Instead of imbedding the Dot itself into the wall, I'd have a gang plate with the 3.5mm connection (audio out), USB power and Ethernet) every place near where I would want one.  (Echo/Dot only use wireless now, but I suspect a future version will support PoE,. Think Alexa pucks on the ceiling ...)

How would I connect the audio out cable from a dot to an audio system so it always played through the room speakers? We haven't built the house yet but I am envisaging the need to select an audio source for speakers - if the Dot is an independent audio source, it would only work when selected?

Perhaps I need to wait for better integration between Alexa and either Sonos or Control4. I am starting the build later this year so should have several months before I need to finalise decisions like these (although if I need to run extra cables, I'll need to think sooner...)

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2016 at 4:41 AM, bdo21 said:

How would I connect the audio out cable from a dot to an audio system so it always played through the room speakers? We haven't built the house yet but I am envisaging the need to select an audio source for speakers - if the Dot is an independent audio source, it would only work when selected?

Perhaps I need to wait for better integration between Alexa and either Sonos or Control4. I am starting the build later this year so should have several months before I need to finalise decisions like these (although if I need to run extra cables, I'll need to think sooner...)

Search the Alexa / Echo threads.  Others have posted their experiences.  I have the stuff to try it but it is pretty far down my ToDo list.

• 3 weeks later...

In Epic's driver, it automatically populates on/off/up/down and set. Is there a way to use "Alexa, open" as opposed to "turn on" for shades or doors? I'm still saying "Alexa, turn on garage door 1"

So amazon has updated the Smart Home command list for devices like the Hue.  They have also updated the number of allowable devices allowed.  Is it possible to update this driver to reflect the same??

here’s a list of the commands that work with smart home devices:

ON Commands:

• Alexa, turn on
  • Alexa, start
  • Alexa, unlock
  • Alexa, open
  • Alexa, boot up
  • Alexa, run
  • Alexa, arm

OFF Commands:

• Alexa, turn off
  • Alexa, stop  (this one is tricky to get right)
  • Alexa, stop running  (also very tricky)
  • Alexa, lock
  • Alexa, close
  • Alexa, shutdown
  • Alexa, shut
  • Alexa, disarm

DIM Commands:

• Alexa, brighten to
  • Alexa, dim to
  • Alexa, raise to
  • Alexa, lower to
  • Alexa, set to
  • Alexa, turn up to
  • Alexa, turn down to

No.  If the Phillips Hue driver doesn't support the keyword, the Epic driver won't either.  "Open" is an Alexa reserved keyword, so that won't work anyway

Thanks. I love the ability to control everything, it's just a little clunky vocally.

I'm finding recently that alexa is recognizing a request and responding with confirmation but is not doing anything and is not showing the request in the lua output of the driver.

Any ideas why? It works with some requests but not others. 

I'm finding recently that alexa is recognizing a request and responding with confirmation but is not doing anything and is not showing the request in the lua output of the driver.

Any ideas why? It works with some requests but not others. 

You might want to check the IP address of the Echo if it's not set to a static IP. We had a power outage a few weeks back and the Echo's IP changed, so it didnt respond when I was trying to add new triggers.

4 minutes ago, Anzir said:

You might want to check the IP address of the Echo if it's not set to a static IP. We had a power outage a few weeks back and the Echo's IP changed, so it didnt respond when I was trying to add new triggers.

depends on what driver you are using.  If using native control4 capabilities the IP doesn't matter

Archived