C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Kodi Full (XBMC) Driver for Control4

alanchow

1 hour ago, koxkp said:

I have a RPi in my project now and going to add an android box soon to another room. It will be my first android box but keep seeing I need to root it. Is this to use kodi/android apps or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to use both

Please read previous posts!! You are not using the Chowmain Kodi driver. You are using the free xbmc driver. Get the Chowmain Kodi driver and your problems will be solved, I can say that with 100% confidence.

Problem solved, you're welcome!

Im using that free driver with C4 when there is no need for library integration in C4 and there is no issue with it whatsoever. You can't claim something without trying first.

And from experience every stuttering or slowdown issues in Kodi are from: 1. crap Chinese boxes with bad firmwares 2.network issues 3.wrongly encoded movies.

sent from my G2

Im using that free driver with C4 when there is no need for library integration in C4 and there is no issue with it whatsoever. You can't claim something without trying first.

And from experience every stuttering or slowdown issues in Kodi are from: 1. crap Chinese boxes with bad firmwares 2.network issues 3.wrongly encoded movies.

sent from my G2

I have tried it. I've used it in my own system for a year before I got fed up with what the poster I replied to is experiencing. These are not shuttering or slowdown issues from a cheap box or crappy network. I built my box myself from scratch, it's super fast with no issues. Changing to Alan's driver has made the transports within movie playback perfect.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

On 12/10/2016 at 8:50 PM, koxkp said:

I have a RPi in my project now and going to add an android box soon to another room. It will be my first android box but keep seeing I need to root it. Is this to use kodi/android apps or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply.

If you want to use your android box for both android apps and kodi then you will need to install LANmote Deluxe on the box.  This requires root on the box.  If however you only want to run Kodi on it (which alot of people do) then you don't need to do this.  Instead you can just install Kodi as the launcher (there are some apps that will actually do this for you and do not require root).

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

When are you planning to develop a complete solution, using the Lanmote driver that has no more development (or to slow) they are talking now to deliver a new version for android 6.0 and they have a lot of issues with SELinux system. Think you should support them or help to develop a complete solution, we cant use good hardware for this and paying 130 USD not cheap for an incomplete solution ?

Regards !

At this stage if you are utilising Android boxes that are running OS 5 and above then we recommend that you install Kodi as a launcher.  This ensures that Kodi is running on the Android box at all times.

13 hours ago, alanchow said:

At this stage if you are utilising Android boxes that are running OS 5 and above then we recommend that you install Kodi as a launcher.  This ensures that Kodi is running on the Android box at all times.

Take the 2017 Shield for example, what would be your advice? Run rooted android tv, or for example install the unofficial twrp? Just use the kodi full driver or also the android driver?

4 hours ago, OPTOsolutio said:

Take the 2017 Shield for example, what would be your advice? Run rooted android tv, or for example install the unofficial twrp? Just use the kodi full driver or also the android driver?

run it as a launcher.  eg

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/929643/auto-start-spmc-/

• 3 months later...

Just had this driver installed and it replaced a free kodi driver I was using.  In this driver the FF and RW buttons now do a 10 sec skip forward or back.  The other driver allowed it to use the FF feature of 1x / 2x / 4x / 8x.  Is it possible to swap to that style of FF instead of the small steps?

20 hours ago, browneye253 said:

Just had this driver installed and it replaced a free kodi driver I was using.  In this driver the FF and RW buttons now do a 10 sec skip forward or back.  The other driver allowed it to use the FF feature of 1x / 2x / 4x / 8x.  Is it possible to swap to that style of FF instead of the small steps?

if you hold the buttons down it will achieve this until you let go at 8x speed otherwise it'll do the small step fwd / back.

• 2 months later...

Firstly great driver it works flawlessly for me and is used daily as our primary interface. 

I have been trying the latest alpha due to the netflix support. I know its alpha and will probably change greatly but I thought I would point out the driver seems to detect kodi but the controls dont work stating "bad client permission" in the debugging.

Just in case there is a future change to make for when its finally released

8 hours ago, Jas0r said:

Firstly great driver it works flawlessly for me and is used daily as our primary interface. 

I have been trying the latest alpha due to the netflix support. I know its alpha and will probably change greatly but I thought I would point out the driver seems to detect kodi but the controls dont work stating "bad client permission" in the debugging.

Just in case there is a future change to make for when its finally released

Thanks for the feedback.  Once it gets closer to release we'll look into it (usually during RC1)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, perio said:

I am using Kodi 16.7 with a win10 NUC. My control4 dealer upgraded to the full version. Under the Kodi control - Device Variables section I only find the power_State value. No other ones like it is described in the manual.

What is wrong?

Nice find.  This must have broken with one of the latest OS updates.  I'll add this to our list of fixes.  This will be issued when we implement the integration of the videostorm ir usb dongle into the driver.

Has anyone tried to change the resolution via the Kodi driver?

Every time I change the resolution Kodi is unresponsive to any command and I have to hard reset the PC (ubuntu)

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

Ok have updated the driver to resolve events not showing and also added support for Videostorm IRUSB.  This means we now have support for Nvidia Shield hardware and Amazon Fire TV hardware.  Note you need to purchase the IRUSB from video storm and also install their app.

New version will be released in a few days.

4 hours ago, perio said:

The properties of Kodi control always shows 1.78 under video aspect ratio, although it has to be 2.40.

Depends on how the video is encoded.  We poll it after the movie starts for the aspect ratio and its whatever kodi returns.  Try a 4:3 video and you'll see it change.

20 minutes ago, perio said:

Yes, when I switch to 4:3 format, I see it change. But when I then switch to a 2.4 format, the properties show again 1.78. Does this mean, that the driver can't distinguish between 1.78 and 2.4?

No the driver only outputs what Kodi outputs.  We don't do any processing on the data output.

3 hours ago, perio said:

Is it well known, that Kodi`s output information does not match the shown picture format? I tried many cinemascope movies, but always the driver shows me 1.78.

You should problaby post this on the Kodi forums (https://forum.kodi.tv/).  We just output the data as it comes in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.