C4 Forums | Control4

Insteon v2 Driver Released

We are proud to release an all-new version of our popular Insteon driver. This new driver is entirely redone with the goal of pushing Insteon integration as close as possible to Control4 own gears.

- Completely stand-alone, DOES NOT require any external software other that Composer Pro

- Built-in Insteon linking support

- Bidirectional communication

- Module identification and auto-detection

- Native scene support through Advanced Lighting agent (experimental)

- v2 Proxy for light and keypad

- As easy to program as own Control4 lightning gear

- Core engine redone for better reliabily and speed

It support most Insteon modules including Dimmers, Switchs, Keypads, Sensor, Fanlinc and Thermostat, all integrated using native Control4 proxies for the most transparent and flexible integration.

It require the PowerLinc Serial Modem (2413S) to operate, it also work with older IP interface like the first generation of the Insteon Hub (2242-222).

It DOES NOT work with the Hub v2 (2245-222).

We heard the new Insteon Hub Pro will brind back the PLM functionality required for this driver to work, but we have not tested yet.

Best for you is to start with a 2413S or grad a used 2242-222 on ebay, both runs rock solid with Control4.

This driver is available through Houselogix Marketplace at the same pricing at the previous version.

This is correct, all Insteon Linking is now done right into Composer.

Although there is some best practices to follow (see manual), you should be able to build a complete Control4/Insteon hybrid system pretty quickly without any software out of Composer Pro.

Someone with C4 and C4 lights will not need Insteon, it's not a replacement and C4 Lights will always be better, but when you start a Contro4 project on a budget and want to keep the full Control4 experience, then Insteon for the lightning part is possibly the best alternative while keeping C4 for A/V.

It's also a perfect fit in a house full of Insteon and a customer want to add A/V control to its system, C4 still possibility the best system for residential A/V integration.

• 3 weeks later...

Note to those who install this.. after many hours of slamming my head against the wall.. I finally figureed out that you need to reboot the hub after connecting it via IP in control4.. only then finally did it connect and work 

y'all can cancel my support ticket.. I finally fixed it

That may happen especially if you were using your hub with a computer or other application before puting it in the Control4 project. The Hub support only ONE IP connection at a time and even if not needed, a software like Houselinc or other can easily be forgotten running on a PC and this will prevent C4 to connect properly to the hub. I hear it also sometime stuck if used with the Insteon App prior to C4 Integration. My advice: Start from scratch and factory reset the hub (and reboot it).

Also this driver must be used "gently", do not process to much linking tasks at the scene time, same for scene creation, always check the status on the PLM driver and insure the last task was completed before starting another one because each task require a number of background commands to be sent in a precise order to work correctly.

Check out the Best Practice section of the manual for more information.

Here a few reasons that someone may want this if they have c4:

• micro dimmer (client has wall sconces that the contractor added, but there is no switch, only the little nob on the bottom of the sconce)
  • fanlinc module (client only has one power leg to the ceiling, and one decora spot on the wall... so control4 keypad, and fanlinc module)
  • dimmable outlet (how cool is this, make the lamp dimmable, but have the outlet flush in the wall)
  • battery scene controllers, aka portable decora keypads (why c4 doesn't offer this yet is beyond me, NYCE controls showed a drawing of one they want to do
  • also, the architectured (dual band 900mhz plus PLC) is really solid, and has worked well when I have used it.
  • lastly.... price.  Even with the licensed driver, which is a justified cost as it looks to have taken alot of effort, the cost saving is realized in only a few loads.

• 4 weeks later...

1. I'm curious, why is it that Hub v2 (2245-222) doesn't work? And, is this something that will be changed?

2. Are there any pros vs cons for using the PowerLinc Serial Modem vs a Hub with the Control4 driver? (other than that you can obviously use the Hub standalone as well with it's app, etc.)

Thanks!

1. I'm curious, why is it that Hub v2 (2245-222) doesn't work? And, is this something that will be changed?

2. Are there any pros vs cons for using the PowerLinc Serial Modem vs a Hub with the Control4 driver? (other than that you can obviously use the Hub standalone as well with it's app, etc.)

Thanks!

This is because the Hub v2 is a shrink-down Hub version that does not provide the PLM functionality required by our driver. The PLM function allow third party application like Control4 to communicate directly to Insteon devices, thus provide fast response time and full control over every devices. The Hub v2 is cloud-oriented and can only be used for basic control of the Insteon devices with an iPad or other customer devices.

We do not plan do support the Hub v2 in the future because we want to keep our driver as stand alone as possible. Using a cloud service or web API to control devices force the use of an Internet connection that can be down for a reason. With a stand alone solution, it will always work, even if Internet or local network dies.

As for Pros and Cons of using the Serial PLM or Hub, the only reason to go with Serial PLM over Hub is that is the only interface that can still be bought new today. As for functionality, both Hub and Serial PLM offers same performance and reliability.

So, you are saying that the newer hub will work AS LONG AS you use the serial PLM with it?

I just want to make sure I understand it correctly

You don't use a separate PLM (PowerLinc Modem) with the Hub. The Hub plugs directly into a power outlet and also into your home network (via ethernet) and works standalone. You only use ONE or the other.

A PLM is used as an interface between a device (like a computer or an ISY, or in this case your Control4 device) and your electrical system where Insteon talks; or in the case of a Dual-band device via wireless.

It's self explanatory if you look at the user manual in the test driver download, but:

1. If you use the Serial PLM, you connect directly via Serial within Composer

2. If you use the Hub, you access it via IP within Composer

Here are some links BTW

PowerLinc Modem - INSTEON 2413S Serial Interface (Dual-Band): http://www.smarthome.com/powerlinc-modem-insteon-2413s-serial-interface-dual-band.html

Refurbished INSTEON 2242-222R Hub [The hub that the creator says WILL work]: http://www.smarthome.com/refurbished-insteon-2242-222r-hub.html

-------------- these are NOT the ones you want --------------------

PowerLinc Modem - INSTEON 2413U USB Interface (Dual-Band) [This is a PLM, but I don't think this will work ? as it connects via USB and at least my controller only has a USB interface for external storage]: http://www.smarthome.com/powerlinc-modem-insteon-2413u-usb-interface-dual-band.html

Insteon 2243-222 Hub Pro [Not mentioned above whether it will work, I'm guessing not cause it basically looks like a HomeKit version of the 2245-222]: http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2243-222-hub-pro.html

Insteon 2245-222 Hub [This is the model that WILL NOT WORK]: http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2245-222-hub.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

DrGerm is 100% correct. Thanks for those precious information.

We still don't know about the Hub Pro because it is not release for retail purchase... We heard it MAY feature the PLM function we need for Control4 but not sure...

Right now, stay with Serial PLM or refurbished Hub v1.

I'm afraid Insteon is dropping development support using their PLM in flavor of their Web API for Homekit, if this is happening, Insteon driver for Control4 future development will unfortunately be stopped.

I'm afraid Insteon is dropping development support using their PLM in flavor of their Web API for Homekit

Surely they wouldn't completely abandon that? Simply cause I'd think it be a very long time before DIY'ers would abandon things like an ISY (or other sophisticated solutions like yours) for the, admittedly, more consumer friendly hub type of product. But what do I know?

I don't think they will stop selling the serial PLM required for the ISY and other third party integration but I'm afraid support for future devices will not be added and this part of Insteon will slowly die and cloud-crap will rise...

I personally hate cloud-based stuff that force the use of an Internet connection and that gather tons of personal information supposed to make things "smarter",  we all know the least important goal of cloud is to help people, personal data worth millions on the net, no secret here, but this is a different debate...

We will not migrate our driver to the Insteon Web API to keep the solution as stand alone as possible.

I'm not sure what is the future of Insteon, but right now the hardware to work with C4 is still there and supported, hope this will continue for a while.

Sincerely, this driver gets attention only from DIYer, C4 dealers does not want to cut on their margins so they do not offer an hybrid Insteon/C4 solution to their clients, thus leading to only few non-repeatable sales, not enough to put more time and effort developing more features for this driver. Sad because hybrid system could have opened lot of opportunities with smaller sub-$3000 projects that can still offer a full C4 experience.

Right now, the V2 driver provide everything needed to get Insteon integrated in C4 without the need of external software, the Scene part is experimental and need to be used accordingly, if you get any problem with Scene you will need to go back to Houselinc and build your scene just like it was with v1. We do not plan to put more work to get the scenes feature to work better because of the lack of popularity of this driver.

Our DMX solution is much more used among C4 Dealer and we will concentrate adding new functions and feature to this solution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some people reported response time slow down of Insteon Dimmer when your using Navigator on Control4 OS 2.8, this is true, the new C4 OS slowed down the Insteon response time for no reason... It is still very usable but we recommend to stick with 2.7.2 if you're running an Insteon setup.

We will work to find a solution for this issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.