C4 Forums | Control4

Insteon v2 Driver Released

Hello, 

Nice that you have released the second version of this driver.

I tried it out but I'm facing a problem that the driver Switch (only tested this) cannot contact the device.

ALDB: not synchronised.

Identify don't work.

answer when try to identify:

Send buffer empty

HandleCommand():02 50 2A 6B BE 02 2A 43 83 01 00
IM Command: 50
From Address: 2A 6B BE
To Address: 02 2A 43
Message Flag: 83
Command 1: 01
Command 2: 00
UNKNOWN KEYPAD COMMAND: 02 50 2A 6B BE 02 2A 43 83 01 00

also tris error:

Last command sent OK
Send buffer empty
Retrying ALDB Sync...
Function: SendToNetwork(6001, 02 62 2A 6B BE 35 2F 00 01 00 0F FF 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C1):
Last command sent OK
Send buffer empty
Retrying ALDB Sync...
Function: SendToNetwork(6001, 02 62 2A 6B BE 35 2F 00 01 00 0F FF 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C1):
Last command sent OK
Send buffer empty
2A 6B BE ALDB Sync failed

I recently purchased some new dimmers to add to my system.  The "Ramp to" programming functionality does not work with dimmers 2477D with firmware 0x44.  The "Ramp to" functionality works fine with firmware version 0x43 and below.  Not a huge deal, I have a workaround in place by setting the local ramp rate and just turning the device on and off.  Just wanted to make you aware.

Send buffer empty
Function: SendToNetwork(6001, 02 73):
Send buffer empty
Received from Proxy: RAMP_TO_LEVEL on binding 2; Call Function RAMP_TO_LEVEL()
Function: SendToNetwork(6001, 02 62 39 6B 9B 00 2E 7D):
SendToDevice(1726, LIGHT_LEVEL)
Last command sent OK
HandleCommand():02 50 39 6B 9B 25 E2 12 20 2E 7D
IM Command: 50
Command 1: 2E
Command 2: 7D
To Address: 25 E2 12
From Address: 39 6B 9B
SendToDevice(1726, EXTENDED_GET)
Message Flag: 20
Extended Get received
Send buffer empty
Function: SendToNetwork(6001, 02 73):
Send buffer empty

Jackstone,

There is nothing wrong with your driver.  It functions perfectly.  The new dimmers do not respond to the 0x2E ramp command you are using.  By communicating directly with the hub I can turn on and off the lights with the following commands

http://192.168.1.5:25105/3?0262396B9B0011FF=I=3  - For on

http://192.168.1.5:25105/3?0262396B9B001300=I=3  - For off

But

http://192.168.1.5:25105/3?0262396B9B002E7D=I=3 - does nothing

http://192.168.1.5:25105/3?0262257575002E7D=I=3 - Works (25.75.75 is a 0x43 dimmer device)

The new dimmers do not accept the command.  We can work around this by have the driver issue the 0x11 command for turning the light on to a specific level instead of the 0x2E command you're using now.  I have a support request into the insteon developers if there is a workaround for the lack of 0x2E command in the 0x44 dimmers.

I'm curious as to why you're using the fast off 0x14 command instead of the off 0x13 command which will used the preset ramp rate for the device when you turn off the light from an interface.  You also use the 0x21 command for turning on the dimmer instead of 0x11 which uses the preset ramp rate.  0x21 is instant.

Oh, and something I learned through the documentation digging I've been doing.  You could use port 25105 instead of 9761 and be able to be running HouseLinc and still be connected to the hub using your driver.  You just need to get the authentication on the hub using the following information.

http://support.insteon.com/customer/portal/articles/1379424-manually-setting-the-time-on-your-insteon-hub-1

0x2E is what we need to be able to set level at a specific Ramp Rate, it's more than useful within a Control4 integration... I'm very disappointed if they've removed this command from the new dimmers (I'm even more disappointed about the way Insteon is focussing right now with their cloud stuff with less than possible intelligence locally, we a gently giving up on third party direct integration to offer a web api that require an Internet connection to work at sluggish speed.)

I can't switch the IP port because I doubt port 25105 is used the same as 9761 witch is a Telnet communication port.

As for newer dimmer, if Houselinc can control it correctly it's a piece of cake to translate the command to C4, I can even detect firmware revision to avoid using an incompatible command on a particular firmware, this is what the "Dim Scale" option was made for.

Ok... can you confirm all newer dimmer use this command as the reference dim w/ ramp command?

I don't have any of this dimmer in hand, I can still easily modify the driver to use this command instead of 0x2E when a 0x44 firmware, But I will not be able to test it, would you like to act as a beta tester for this?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Ok... can you confirm all newer dimmer use this command as the reference dim w/ ramp command?

I don't have any of this dimmer in hand, I can still easily modify the driver to use this command instead of 0x2E when a 0x44 firmware, But I will not be able to test it, would you like to act as a beta tester for this?

jackstone - was a fix for this dimmer issue able to be worked out? I am having this issue on half the switches in my house. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, forgot to mention, I can dim the lights to any desired level through Alexa, so it seemed that Alexa->C4->Insteon can dim the newer switches, but the C4 app isn’t able to dim the newer dimmers. Not sure if that helps narrow it down. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, C4Scott said:

Also, forgot to mention, I can dim the lights to any desired level through Alexa, so it seemed that Alexa->C4->Insteon can dim the newer switches, but the C4 app isn’t able to dim the newer dimmers. Not sure if that helps narrow it down. Thanks!

I do not plan to purchase any recent Insteon products to update the driver since Insteon are dropping their integration protocol... I also not plan to purchase an Amazon Alexa cause I care about my private life... But If you are able to isolate the difference between the actual HEX command sent by the dimmer driver to the Insteon Hub and the one that "work", let me know and I could fix the driver with that information. Use the Print Debug option will show you the commande sent in the Lua window.

Thanks.  Also, a few more pieces of info - I am running OS 2.9.1, using an iPhone X on iOS 12.1.1 and using the latest C4 iPhone app.  The same issue exists when I use the Control4 for PC-Mac application, but when I use Composer HE to control those newer dimmers, they dim perfectly every time.

I'm not sure how to generate the HEX code you mentioned, but the Lua Output window for a dimmer that isn't responding from the iOS app is:

Function:    ReceivedFromProxy (5001, RAMP_TO_LEVEL):
dimmer ExecuteCommand function called with : LIGHT_LEVEL
Function:    SendToProxy (5001, LIGHT_LEVEL):
Function:    SendToProxy (302, MATCH_LED_STATE):
Function:    SendToProxy (1, RAMP_TO_LEVEL):
Function:    SendToProxy (300, MATCH_LED_STATE):
Function:    SendToProxy (301, MATCH_LED_STATE):
dimmer ExecuteCommand function called with : EXTENDED_GET

Thanks for all the help.  

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:09 AM, C4S said:

Thanks.  Also, a few more pieces of info - I am running OS 2.9.1, using an iPhone X on iOS 12.1.1 and using the latest C4 iPhone app.  The same issue exists when I use the Control4 for PC-Mac application, but when I use Composer HE to control those newer dimmers, they dim perfectly every time.

I'm not sure how to generate the HEX code you mentioned, but the Lua Output window for a dimmer that isn't responding from the iOS app is:

Function:    ReceivedFromProxy (5001, RAMP_TO_LEVEL):
dimmer ExecuteCommand function called with : LIGHT_LEVEL
Function:    SendToProxy (5001, LIGHT_LEVEL):
Function:    SendToProxy (302, MATCH_LED_STATE):
Function:    SendToProxy (1, RAMP_TO_LEVEL):
Function:    SendToProxy (300, MATCH_LED_STATE):
Function:    SendToProxy (301, MATCH_LED_STATE):
dimmer ExecuteCommand function called with : EXTENDED_GET

Thanks for all the help.  

You need to send me the debut output on the PLM driver, not the dimmer.

• 3 weeks later...

@jackstone  I've been testing a motion sensor with the V1 driver.  Running OS 2.10.5 on an EA5.  Every time the controller reboots, the motion sensor does not work and displays 'Changes Pending.  Activate the motion sensor to apply.'  Is this an issue with 2.10.5?  A client of mine has this same problem on the same OS using the V2 driver.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.