C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Amp Volume Goes Up/Loud After Announcements

Not much - your volume doesn't go up, it takes a second to come down from the announcement volume.

Best you may be able to do is to see if you can increase the volume of the played announcement wav file to closer match your average listening volume (or, preferably be a bit LOUDER as having lower volume for a second after an announcement isn't that big a deal). That way you can lower your announcement volume levels.

My problem is that if I have audio playing elsewhere in the house, zones that don't even have audio playing turn on (normally at high volume) and begin playing other zone's music before the zone mutes and the announcement plays.  This is even if I've played with adjusting the .wav files so they are loud enough I don't have to adjust the zone volumes, or even if I leave the announcement settings with no volume control of the zones at all.

The problem there is that you're using the same output on a controller for the announcement that was already in use for sound, so after the announcement is played and the output reverts back, but before the amp/matrix for the 'off' zones is disconnected - you here a bit of that stream.

Nothing to really do about that at this point, unless you remove the built in announcement agent and move over to completely programmed announcements (and the newish snapshot driver makes that MUCH easier)

The problem there is that you're using the same output on a controller for the announcement that was already in use for sound, so after the announcement is played and the output reverts back, but before the amp/matrix for the 'off' zones is disconnected - you here a bit of that stream.

Nothing to really do about that at this point, unless you remove the built in announcement agent and move over to completely programmed announcements (and the newish snapshot driver makes that MUCH easier)

In my case its actually BEFORE the announcement, which seems odd.  Thanks for the explanation though that makes sense.  I think its the same concept whether before or after, just seems like it could be tweaked somewhere to possibly avoid it.  I already have to put in a 5 sec delay to let the rooms that have dedicated surround amps power up for the announcement so no reason for the system to rush into outputting sound in matrixed zones that it could wait a half-second to a second on and avoid the issue completely.

• 2 weeks later...

Turls, I am uncertain if you understood that Cyknight is suggesting that you increase the volume of the wave file not in the announcents section of control4, but rather the file itself in an editor such as audacity.... This should make your "announcement" volumes a bit lower. Helping to solve the issue. Overall I do agree that control4 needs to handle volume changing in a better manner. Ie default volume should be set before the matrix switches to the source, or the controller starts to play its wave file... And then return volume should be set prior to changing sources back, or resuming streaming music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ Yes I meant adapting the actual .wav file.

Understand that the problem can be more complex than you may think. There's several ways this same end-result can occur. Some I believe C4 should try to address (the order in which commands are sent, volume setting vs input switching vs playing the file) and that is something that can perhaps be addressed in the agent itself, especially because it has to do it twice, and in reverse order, once when starting the announcement, once when ending it.

Ie default volume should be set before the matrix switches to the source, or the controller starts to play its wave file... And then return volume should be set prior to changing sources back, or resuming streaming music.

this wouldn't work! if you set default volume before switch - this is what usually causes the loudness before the announcement now! Like I said, the agent needs to do this a bit more intelligently, perhaps inserting a blank piece of audio automatically, though that can cause odd delays in the announcement etc. Plus, the situation is quite different between a 'normal' source such as a cable box when watching TV, or listening to TuneIn from a C4 controller as in one scenario you would be switching an actual input/output, and in the other you're just inserting a different stream on the SAME input/output set.

Instead of a delay, it's usually better to have no delay and have the file be 'empty' for a second or 2.

I meant to ask, I'm not sure of the reason you suggest this?  I can edit the files but it is much easier to tweak delays with Control4.  There are some announcements that don't play in zones that have to wait for an AVR to power up...so in those zones I use less delay.  But sometimes I tweak annoucement settings and end up changing to zones that do have AVRs.  So its not a simple question of editing the file once and being done with it...

Turls, I am uncertain if you understood that Cyknight is suggesting that you increase the volume of the wave file not in the announcents section of control4, but rather the file itself in an editor such as audacity.... 

Yes I do, thanks.  I usually end up using Audacity no matter what since the files need trimming anyway.

The delay in the agent doesn't help for the volume issue, but by having a second or 2 of 'dead' sound in the actual file to be played can help prevent getting a brief very loud announcement before volume can be adapted. This of course don't apply to .wav that are SOFTER than the normal music.

In addition, 'dead' sound tends to still trigger audio input sensing (provided it's sensitive enough) - which helps overcome issues there, agent delay won't do a thing there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived