C4 Forums | Control4

Building New Control4 System - Must Haves

konieczn

Hey Guys,

I'm a rookie here, and am planning on doing a Control4 system in the house I'm building. I currently am planning on having Control4 take care of all of my AV setups (4 TVs, and in ceiling speakers in every room), so basically audio and video. I am planning on buying the HC-800 Controller, and the 8 Zone Matrix Amp to control the audio in each room.

I originally planned to just do the AV, but I find myself staring at all of the other other products Control4 offers.

If you could offer your opinion on what's one thing you would include, or splurge on to include within the Control4 system?

Whether that be a music bridge, in wall touch screens, lighting control, HVAC control, security integration, etc. Basically I'd like to hear what you guys see as dealers, installers, etc. some of the most common things users tend to come back and add, or tend to add in the initial setup.

Thank you for any responses I may receive.

Brian

I agree with @Gix656.  I can't imagine going back to a time without the light switches.  With the ability to add extra functionality to them they are super useful.

I personally don't see a real use for the music bridge.  I have all my music available on the network and supplement that with Rhapsody. 

I prefer to use a combination of my phone, remote or light switch to do anything that I'd do with the in wall touch screens.

It is nice to have your security system integrated.  I have a button on the keypad by my bed programmed to turn the house off and set the alarm.  I also have door locks integrated which works really well with that.

Lighting, at least exterior and common areas

Sonos for streaming services

Garage Door

Security - alarm system as well as cameras

^ Probably the most done in addition to AV

There's lots of other things to consider too, but one that is often requested, but also often decided not to do is blinds (motorized blinds themselves gt cancelled in favor of manual ones, big cost reducer) and almost as often regretted afterwards.

There's lots of other things to consider too, but one that is often requested, but also often decided not to do is blinds (motorized blinds themselves gt cancelled in favor of manual ones, big cost reducer) and almost as often regretted afterwards.

I completely agree with this. The motorized blinds were a HUGE sticker shock. I only have 8 windows in my house and shopped pretty thoroughly, plan on spending at MINIMUM $500 per shade, realistically about $700 a shade

If your HVAC system can be controlled with a simple thermostat, that is an easy integration with the Control4 Thermostat as well (integration is possible with other systems too). Turning on the heat 30-60 minutes before you get home from vacation remotely from your Control4 app so your home is warm when you get home is pretty dang nice.

A motion sensor can enable very nice integration, depending on where you use it. Put one in the hallway, and when it's night time, automatically turn on a pathway of lights to the bathroom or the kitchen. Put one in the backyard, and when it senses motion at night, turn on exterior lights, send a notification to your smartwatch (or phone if you're not that fancy), and turn on the Master TV to show the cameras.

This was a really simple feature we did at a home, but I loved it. We put hardwired (can be done w/ wireless sensors too) contact sensors on all the cabinet and closet doors. When those doors opened, the closet/hall/cabinet lights automatically turned on, and turned off when the doors closed.

Put a timer on the bathroom fan. When the fan gets turned on, it starts a 15 minute timer. When the timer ends, the fan turns off.

There's a LOT of cool integration you can do with smart lighting.

Lighting, at least exterior and common areas

Sonos for streaming services

Garage Door

Security - alarm system as well as cameras

^ Probably the most done in addition to AV

I forgot about Sonos.  I don't know how!  Sonos is a major must have if you're using the system for any sort of music.

Thanks for the input so far, I'm loving the responses. I think at a minimum I may need to look at adding some lighting control, and also HVAC. Thegreatheed had some awesome ideas on how to incorporate Control4 into your daily tasks (didn't even think about things like that).

Thanks for the input so far, I'm loving the responses. I think at a minimum I may need to look at adding some lighting control, and also HVAC. Thegreatheed had some awesome ideas on how to incorporate Control4 into your daily tasks (didn't even think about things like that).

That's the real strength of Control4 versus other dumber, cheaper "smart home" solutions. Being able to have real integration and automation, where devices seamlessly work together to make your life simpler is where the big boys of automation really show their value.

konieczn not sure what your plan is vs dealer vs DIY. But I have been fairly successful going the DIY route of piecing the hardware together from these forums or various internet sources, ebay, craigslist etc and then using the remote services offered by some people on these forums. If you are savy enough to run wires and connect A to B with the proper cord. I figure I have saved myself upwards of $20,000 by going that route. This forum is a GREAT resource even for us DIY guys

konieczn not sure what your plan is vs dealer vs DIY. But I have been fairly successful going the DIY route of piecing the hardware together from these forums or various internet sources, ebay, craigslist etc and then using the remote services offered by some people on these forums. If you are savy enough to run wires and connect A to B with the proper cord. I figure I have saved myself upwards of $20,000 by going that route. This forum is a GREAT resource even for us DIY guys

Thank you for the heads up. Yes, that is the plan, to try and piece together hardware here and there. The dealer I'm using is also a friend, so I'm buying some hardware through them, but also they're allowing me to buy stuff on my own (as I find it). That's the plan for light switches, etc. Basically, I'm buying all the main hardware (controller, and matrix amp through them). I'm hoping to save along the lines like you did!

Thank you for the heads up. Yes, that is the plan, to try and piece together hardware here and there. The dealer I'm using is also a friend, so I'm buying some hardware through them, but also they're allowing me to buy stuff on my own (as I find it). That's the plan for light switches, etc. Basically, I'm buying all the main hardware (controller, and matrix amp through them). I'm hoping to save along the lines like you did!

See what price your dealer friend will do for panellized lighting, and everything in general - you may find the difference between new gen3 lights with warranty and gen 2 without and the headaches of ID install and the likely few broken ones you get sold makes it easier to source lighting from your buddy.

A with 16 dimmers for all the secondary lighting in rooms like kitchens and dining and living and family rooms is a great way of reducing wall wart / multi gang light switch clutter.

SONOS connect into the 8 zone is great for Pandora and other stream sources.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Archived