C4 Forums | Control4

6 button keypad loses connectivity

I have a 6 button keypad in my garage which controls volume of my garage speakers and some lighting in the garage and outside.  Last night I was making some adjustments but it seems to lose connectivity occasionally which last night happened just as I was increasing the volume which ramped the volume up to full volume (not good).

The HC800 that runs my system is in the basement but I have C4 devices located everywhere throughout the house including an outlet plug in switch also in the garage.

What might cause these lapses in connectivity and how does one remedy this?

Do you pulse the volume up each button click?

or do you start volume up upon click and stop volume up upon release?

I now use the pulse each click because my hold and release often resulted in my volume either going way down or way up.

I am not sure why, as it was working fine most times, but the odd occasion it would not register the 'release' as quickly as it should have.

I have pulse volume for 1 click but also have it programmed for hold and release volume.... but yes it was the click that started to ramp up the volume and there was no response on the keypad for a few minutes while the speakers were at 100% volume hence it's a risk to not have the keypad working correctly.  One of the buttons is programmed to turn the room  (garage speakers) off and that wasn't working so I had to run into the house and grab a SR250 remote just to turn it off.

Hopefully others can chime in and offer reasons.

When my 6 button did this, I walked into the garage to see the ir bud still flashing the volume down command, which is obviously many seconds after I released the button in another room.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work, somehow the controller needs to work out how many pulses to send based on how long button is held down, perhaps the controller is queuing up too many commands before the button release registers  ???

Archived