C4 Forums | Control4

HC800 & HC250 CPU architecture and other specifications

KwamiKontrol

I'm a little bit of a technical nut, and as I'm setting up my first Control4 setup in my new house, I like diving into all sorts of specs regarding my equipment.

I haven't been able to find this anywhere online, so I thought I'd ask here.  Does anyone know what CPU architecture is within Control4's current controllers, namely, the HC800 in particular?  I can see that Control4 has published it has a dual-core 1.8GHZ CPU, but I'm curious as to the architecture/ISA of the CPU (x86; x64, ARM, ARM64, ARMEL, etc....)

Is it a SoC design, or discreet CPU/Memory/etc.... ASICs?

Also, I'm trying to determine how much processing load the HC250 can handle vs. the HC800, and what are the key factors that can make an HC250 struggle (e.g: Does the HC250 have similar CPU power to the HC800, but significantly less memory, or is the CPU clocked lower and/or possible single-core)....

Thanks

HC800 is a dual-core (4 thread), 1.8GHz Intel Atom D525, with 2G RAM.

HC250 is a single-core 1GHz ARMv7 processor with 500M RAM.

Both are discrete CPU/Memory/Flash, on custom Control4-designed motherboards.

The HC250 is limited by both RAM and raw processing speed.  It's best for a single-room or small home.  HC800 is designed for a full home.

RyanE

HC800 is a dual-core (4 thread), 1.8GHz Intel Atom D525, with 2G RAM.

HC250 is a single-core 1GHz ARMv7 processor with 500M RAM.

Both are discrete CPU/Memory/Flash, on custom Control4-designed motherboards.

The HC250 is limited by both RAM and raw processing speed.  It's best for a single-room or small home.  HC800 is designed for a full home.

RyanE

Thanks for the info.  I find it interesting that Control4 decided to maintain multiple builds of their OS for two ISAs.  Being that the Control4 OS is based on the Linux kernel though, it makes sense that they can easily have an ARM7 and x64 build for both the HC250 and HC800 respecively.

The memory difference seems quite large though, so it looks like any action more memory intensive, such as indexing from a movie server like MyMovies, might bog down the HC260 due to paging.

This has solidified my need for an HC800 

Archived