C4 Forums | Control4

Custom buttons on EVERY page

duck_man

• 4 months later...

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2016 at 8:14 PM, dwestcoat said:

Because the GUI is not configurable and it would be useful have unique custom buttons assigned to different pages.   I would also like to see some feedback on those buttons, or god forbid a customizable GUI...

A customizable GUI should be high on the list. Asking a customer to remember all the variable functions of buttons on multiple inputs is just plain bad! Each input should have a totally customizable GU including unique button titles. Control4...if your listening...a comment as to the possibility of this in the foreseeable future would be appreciated.

Control4 doesn't comment on future features / plans for features (or things Control4 isn't planning on making as features), so if you're holding your breath for Control4 to comment as to those future plans, you're going to be waiting a long time.

RyanE

35 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Control4 doesn't comment on future features / plans for features (or things Control4 isn't planning on making as features), so if you're holding your breath for Control4 to comment as to those future plans, you're going to be waiting a long time.

RyanE

And you'd die from lack of oxygen.

On 1/7/2016 at 7:14 PM, dwestcoat said:

Because the GUI is not configurable and it would be useful have unique custom buttons assigned to different pages.   I would also like to see some feedback on those buttons, or god forbid a customizable GUI...

With experience button you can have a form of a customized buttons with feed back

1 minute ago, hometheaterguy said:

I don't understand.

What the original (and over a year old) thread was about is to some degree available now, what you are talking about is the ability to change the layout of controls and/or renaming or 'badging' those control buttons I believe, which Experience buttons do not 'catch'

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

What the original (and over a year old) thread was about is to some degree available now, what you are talking about is the ability to change the layout of controls and/or renaming or 'badging' those control buttons I believe, which Experience buttons do not 'catch'

Yes, that's exactly what I am proposing. I could easily achieve this with the antiquated Elan viaTools software I have used for years.

2 minutes ago, hometheaterguy said:

Yes, that's exactly what I am proposing. I could easily achieve this with the antiquated Elan viaTools software I have used for years.

Sure, but this isn't Elan. The point (right or wrong) that C4 has used is that unlike many other systems, C4's is consistent all the time in it's user interface (well that's the intend at least) which in turn sacrifices some customizing option. While yes, in some systems you can fully layout some aspects of the GUI, the trade-off is that you don't NEED to create a new GUI every time.

You can argue either side all day long, which isn't my point here - but as Ryan said, C4 does NOT release info on future changes and features in software, nor on hardware etc. Not to the public - indeed not to dealers. So asking for:

10 hours ago, hometheaterguy said:

Control4...if your listening...a comment as to the possibility of this in the foreseeable future would be appreciated.

Is pointless, you won't get any.

Indeed:

10 hours ago, hometheaterguy said:

A customizable GUI should be high on the list. Asking a customer to remember all the variable functions of buttons on multiple inputs is just plain bad!

What you are more likely to get is a discussion on that opinion - one you'd likely find is not shared by all that many, at least in the sense that it is a major priority, plus I think that if you think it's a problem to remember all the 'variable functions', you may need to delve a bit deeper in how C4 works. It's not Elan and you'll need to stop trying to make it so (and the other way around). It has a different approach both in it's method of programming and setup, as well as ow it presents it's control to the end user. I can tell you this - my customers have no real issue 'remembering' what a button does.

Again, I'm not intending to argue the value of one vs the other - personally I think it's like comparing apples and oranges. You'll find that there are plenty of things to say on how they differ or are the same, but what's the point? Some will prefer one, some the other. And then again some will rather have a banana...or some grapes....mango's good too ;)

BTW, a couple of clarifications:

• While Control4 doesn't reveal future release features or confirm whether something is on the roadmap or not, that's not to say that Control4 isn't listening.  There are Control4 employees at multiple levels within the company reading these forums (not only me).
  • Suggesting features and/or mentioning problems with current Control4 functionality is always welcome, and although it sometimes appears that it is not acted on, posts here can definitely have an influence on Control4's outlook and plans.
  • Lastly, although as others have mentioned that Experience Buttons are great, and that they can expand the UI and be placed on many pages, unfortunately there are also pages where Experience Buttons cannot be placed, and situations where they aren't an ideal 'custom' solution.

Thanks to everyone who contributes here.

RyanE

Archived