C4 Forums | Control4

Newbie to home security - Recommended Security Panel? Honeywell?

Xavier4or

Hi folks.  New to this forum and trying to get some help for installing a home security system...

I have been installing several Hikvision cameras around the house and very familiar with that part of home security - but now trying to move onto installing a home security panel within our house.  The house is prewired at the doors and the windows but the wires are unterminated down in the basement...

Here are some high level items I am looking for:
* Home Security Control Panel that has ethernet capability and ios / android apps
* Wired solutions for windows and doors (not looking for any wifi capability)
* A mid to higher end solution

From some initial research looking at the Honeywell Vista line - maybe Honeywell Vista 21IP - but really trying to get more feedback, opinions, and some recommendations.

Thank you!

Assuming you are going to tie into your C4 system you don't need apps from the alarm hardware. I moved into a house with an older DSC system. A small hardware upgrade and a $100 module and it's tied into c4. I can control it remotely from anywhere using the c4 app

You don't need DSC just don't be tied to a system that must have its own app.

I'm in the process of building a new house now, and I (well, my builder actually, since my home is a semi-custom home) went with a DSC PowerSeries 1616. 

Unless I'm wrong, he current Control4 driver for all DSC PowerSeries security system control panels uses an optional DSC IT-100 RS232 module.  I'm planning to use an HD-BaseT (or some other RS232 over Category Cable) balun to control my DSC 1616 from my centrally located Control4 controller.

I'm in the process of building a new house now, and I (well, my builder actually, since my home is a semi-custom home) went with a DSC PowerSeries 1616. 

Unless I'm wrong, he current Control4 driver for all DSC PowerSeries security system control panels uses an optional DSC IT-100 RS232 module.  I'm planning to use an HD-BaseT (or some other RS232 over Category Cable) balun to control my DSC 1616 from my centrally located Control4 controller.

you can use the E-P132-100 along with the free extravegetable driver to do this and not waste money on an HDbaseT. Or just use something like http://www.snapav.com/p-1182-db9-f-rj45-adpt.aspx

you can use the E-P132-100 along with the free extravegetable driver to do this and not waste money on an HDbaseT. Or just use something like http://www.snapav.com/p-1182-db9-f-rj45-adpt.aspx

Thanks for the suggestions.  They both make sense from a cost point of view over an HD Base T balun just for RS232.  A few questions:

-Do you know if the E-P132 works will the HouseLogix DSC IT-100 C4 driver here: https://www.houselogix.com/shop/dsc-powerseries-serial-driver-it-100 ?  My understanding is that the E-P132 transports RS232 over Ethernet protocol.  I'm unaware as to whether or not the C4 HC800 (or HC250) can interpret RS232 over their Ethernet ports.  If not, does this mean that I need E-P132s on both ends?

-The SnapAV DB9-F-RJ45-ADPT   seems like a better/simpler solution, and I can tell that I need one on both ends.  It doesn't require power as well, which I like.  

Thanks for the suggestions.  They both make sense from a cost point of view over an HD Base T balun just for RS232.  A few questions:

-Do you know if the E-P132 works will the HouseLogix DSC IT-100 C4 driver here: https://www.houselogix.com/shop/dsc-powerseries-serial-driver-it-100 ?  My understanding is that the E-P132 transports RS232 over Ethernet protocol.  I'm unaware as to whether or not the C4 HC800 (or HC250) can interpret RS232 over their Ethernet ports.  If not, does this mean that I need E-P132s on both ends?

-The SnapAV DB9-F-RJ45-ADPT   seems like a better/simpler solution, and I can tell that I need one on both ends.  It doesn't require power as well, which I like.  

My understanding is the E-P132 is universal for any serial device. However, if you have a cat wire straight from the security panel to the controller, the SnapAV will be cheaper. You will need to verify gender of both sides before ordering though.

My understanding is the E-P132 is universal for any serial device. However, if you have a cat wire straight from the security panel to the controller, the SnapAV will be cheaper. You will need to verify gender of both sides before ordering though.

Sounds good.  I think I'm sold on the SnapAV.  It looks like SnapAV site requires a dealer login.  Do I have to order this through my dealer only, or is there another place online I can order directly?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived