C4 Forums | Control4

Nest and Control4?

I have seen were Control4 has announced that Nest thermostats are now compatible with Control4, but I wondered what exactly that would mean for me.  So I have been reading the forums and all around the web to try and understand how the Nest thermostat will work with Control4 but I'm still confused about how they do or don't work together.  The only thing that I have seen in multiple places is when the Nest goes into "Auto-Away" mode that Control4 won't be able to communicate with the Nest, but that's about all I know. 

Can Nest and Control4 do any of the following?

• Can I adjust the current set point on the Nest using Control4? 

• When the Nest goes from "Auto-Away" to "home" does the Nest communicate that to Control4?  The reason I ask is we are going to have multiple zones in our home and I was hoping that when the Nest changes to "Home" that Control4 would know this and then be able to change the temperature in other areas of the home (plan to install control4 thermostats in those rooms).
  • Can I adjust the schedule of the Nest through the Control4 interface?
  • Does it matter which generation of Nest I have?

Any information on how my Nest will and will not work with Control4 would be very helpful.

Thanks...Scott

We plan to have 7 zones in our house (currently under construction) and some of the zones temps won't change so no need for an advanced thermostat but for the other areas (5) would I be better off putting nest thermostats in those rooms or should I go with the control4 thermostats?

It really depends on what you WANT.

-Do you want to have manual control (regularly) over your thermostat

-Are you intending to hang OTHER programming off of HVAC state or temperature.

Nest's ability to 'sense' if you're home at off times is limited depending on location - and this can easily enough be done much better using C4 and your door and motion sensors.

And while the 'learning' portion is neat - realistically you can simply program any t-stat to a schedule, it's not as if it will change often.

Nice with the nest is the estimated energy reports you can get.

Also note that there are alternative thermostats that can combine some of the options, and give you others, such as Ecobee and Honeywell Lyric that integrate very well (3rd party paid drivers).

Perso9nally, I took out my Nest and went with C4. Integration is just better and I did and do not require any other 'specials' preferring C4's battery life (and general battery operation ability) and exterior sensor options over the others.

There is no 'default' wrong choice here - but it will all depend on what you're looking to get out of it.

Ecobee's are grate  they come with 1 remote sensor and you can go to any apple store or best buy and buy extra remote sensors to place in those extra rooms and it coast the same as the nest 

Haven't looked at the Ecobee's.  After a quick review I wonder how well it would work with my HVAC since I will have a zoning system with 7 zones total.  As best I can tell I would have to have a separate ecobee to control each zone.  Still love the idea that it uses your cell phone to know when you are headed home to adjust the temp, pretty cool.

Another question regarding the Nest, can Control4 set the Nest to away?  My thought is that I may eventually install an alarm system (one that will communicate with Control4)  and I was wondering if I could set it up that when I arm the alarm that my nest(s) would all then go into away mode?  Could I use a multi button switch to set all of the Nest's to away as I walk out the door?

Another question regarding the Nest, can Control4 set the Nest to away?  My thought is that I may eventually install an alarm system (one that will communicate with Control4)  and I was wondering if I could set it up that when I arm the alarm that my nest(s) would all then go into away mode?  Could I use a multi button switch to set all of the Nest's to away as I walk out the door?

You can use a multi button switch to set the Nest Home or Away.  I have this setup by my front door.  However I think the Nest integration has a lot of limitations.  I only have two zones in my house but if I were doing seven zones I would probably just do the Control4 thermostats.  It will be a more reliable setup and will cost less as well.  

You can use a multi button switch to set the Nest Home or Away.  I have this setup by my front door.  However I think the Nest integration has a lot of limitations.  I only have two zones in my house but if I were doing seven zones I would probably just do the Control4 thermostats.  It will be a more reliable setup and will cost less as well.  

What kind of limitations have you run into?  I see that there is a new Control4 thermostat out, is there really any benefits of this thermostat over the old one(CCZ-T1-W)?  Also I have read that you have an exterior temp sensor with the control4 thermostat (at least with the CCZ-T1-W), if I were to have multiple thermostats would I also have to have multiple exterior temp sensors or could they all use just one?

Well one is that the Control4 has to communicate through the internet to the Nest.  So if your wifi is down, your internet is down, or they are having issues anywhere on their end then all communication between the Control4 and Nest is lost.  Also if for any reason your Nest thermostats decide to go offline which mine occasionally do then the same thing.  You can have events that never trigger or button presses that go no where.  In my system I have IFTTT send an alert to my phone to make sure the thermostats actually set to away just in case.  Maybe not that big a deal to some but these limitations in themselves are enough to keep me from doing any large system with them.  Don't get me wrong I love the Nests but I had them before I had my Control4 system.  

As far as everything the Control4 thermostats can do I'll let someone who has them chime in.  

The Control4 thermostat will do all you want and more.

The Nest is prettier but you are at the whims of a third party, their API, their server, your ISP, your WiFi, your network.

You desire the integration of HVAC and your home, not as a would be nice to have feature, but as a requirement.

Buy the Control4.

Hello.  This is "Jay-Hawks'" wife and since he left this post open on MY computer I thought I would add to the discussion.  Here are how our zones are broken down followed by the anticipated use.

1) Living Rm/Dining Rm/Kitchen/0.5 Bath - This will be the hub of our home and represents a full 30-40% of our entire house.  Use will be high but also highly variable as my work schedule is highly variable (I work both day and night shifts, sometimes on different days of the week).  Ideally this zone would go to an "away" mode when no one is home so as to save $$ on cooling but when I am  home I would also like to be able to fall asleep on the couch and not wake up sweating because the thermostat has kicked into "auto away" mode due to lack of motion (what happens now).  

2,3) Kids' bedrooms - Predictable use on 5+2 schedule, prefer manual control.  The day my husband talks me into thinking our kids NEED motion sensors in their bedrooms is the day I know we've both lost our minds.

4) Fish tank/Home automation - Small rooms but knowing my husband he will want some highly complex cooling schedule with cooling integrated with lights and chiller usage etc...

5) Upstairs Gameroom/Guest bathroom - Medium sized area open to zone #1 above.  Sparse use during the week, heavy use on the weekends.  This area may be best served with a motion sensing device because there is no door to the Gameroom and the main users are currently ages 5 and 2 and probably not to be trusted with a manual thermostat.

6) Guest bedrm - Manual.  Mostly will be off.

7) Master suite - Large area.  I think manual here too.  Mostly off during the day.

Normally you have to worry about someone you don't know hijacking your thread but I have to worry about my wife doing it.   :o

Thanks for all the great replies, I have found the information to be very helpful.  I think that the best way for us to go is probably using the control4 thermostats and then figure out later how best to utilize the possibilities with the control 4 system.

Normally you have to worry about someone you don't know hijacking your thread but I have to worry about my wife doing it. :o

Thanks for all the great replies, I have found the information to be very helpful. I think that the best way for us to go is probably using the control4 thermostats and then figure out later how best to utilize the possibilities with the control 4 system.

As others have said. The control 4 ones likely suit your use case well.

In main zones where you may be concerned with looks you can hide them remotely and use a remote temp sensor.

You could also put a touch screen on the wall to control the temp and more.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

As others have said. The control 4 ones likely suit your use case well.

In main zones where you may be concerned with looks you can hide them remotely and use a remote temp sensor.

You could also put a touch screen on the wall to control the temp and more.

While I haven't seen one of the Control4 Thermostats in person yet the videos I have seen on YouTube don't make them look that bad.  I ordered a couple yesterday so I guess I will find out what they look like soon enough.  I guess you will have to balance the thought of having this "ugly" thermostat on the wall against convenience of having to go to a remote location to change the temp.  The touchscreen idea is interesting but initially I don't plan to install any of those just to try and keep costs down. 

I guess you will have to balance the thought of having this "ugly" thermostat on the wall against convenience of having to go to a remote location to change the temp. The touchscreen idea is interesting but initially I don't plan to install any of those just to try and keep costs down.

You need to start rethinking how you control your home.

First. The intelligence meaningful mess with the thermostat far less often. It takes inputs from other sensors and devices to know what it should be doing. Or from the alarm status or a button by the front door.

Or the location of your iPhone.

Second messin with it can be done on the tv OSD, your phone / tablet or even the screen on the SR260.

So even if they are remote located you don't need to go to them. They appear on the device in front if you.

Guests coming. Switch to guest room and turn on AC. Etc.

You need to start rethinking how you control your home.

First. The intelligence meaningful mess with the thermostat far less often. It takes inputs from other sensors and devices to know what it should be doing. Or from the alarm status or a button by the front door.

Or the location of your iPhone.

Second messin with it can be done on the tv OSD, your phone / tablet or even the screen on the SR260.

So even if they are remote located you don't need to go to them. They appear on the device in front if you.

Guests coming. Switch to guest room and turn on AC. Etc.

I understand what you are saying that I can access the thermostat is multiple ways with the Control4 but the issue is that it's not just me making adjustments to the thermostat.  While I love technology I can't say the same for my wife and if I tell her that she has to get out her phone, open an application, wait for it to connect, select the proper thermostat and then change the temp one degree I wonder how long I will be married.  The one thing that my control4 setup has to do is make our lives easier, not more technical and for my wife and my two little girls going up to a thermostat in the room and pressing a button up or down is easier so this is how I must proceed.  Will I be sitting in my recliner using my phone to change the temp, you bet I will but by placing the thermostat in the room my wife won't have to.

I would be interested though to find out more about the location of the iphone feature though.  I assume this would also apply to Android as well.

wife and if I tell her that she has to get out her phone, open an application, wait for it to connect, select the proper thermostat and then change the temp one degree I wonder how long I will be married

THIS is where dedicated touchscreens shine actually. They are always there on the wall. No grabbing phones, starting apps etc.

You'll find it REALLY isn't hard to use mind you - anyone from my (well used to be) techno-phobic wife to my 3 year old can do it.

for my wife and my two little girls going up to a thermostat in the room and pressing a button up or down is easier so this is how I must proceed

Not withstanding the above post.

C4 thermostats still have this option.

I find it funny how people seem to find it 'ugly' - I really sort of like the design, it fitting very well with the current lighting/keypad device line. It doesn't have a fancy colour touch-screen true - but from the sound of it that isn't what you want anyway.

Understand also, that you could mount the T-Stat in location for now, and always change it later - the sensor can then use the existing t-stat wires and you place the tstat at the furnace later on.

Understand also, that you could mount the T-Stat in location for now, and always change it later - the sensor can then use the existing t-stat wires and you place the tstat at the furnace later on.

Now that might be an idea for later!  I could see us doing that but many moons from now.

Hello. This is "Jay-Hawks'" wife and since he left this post open on MY computer I thought I would add to the discussion. Here are how our zones are broken down followed by the anticipated use.

1) Living Rm/Dining Rm/Kitchen/0.5 Bath - This will be the hub of our home and represents a full 30-40% of our entire house. Use will be high but also highly variable as my work schedule is highly variable (I work both day and night shifts, sometimes on different days of the week). Ideally this zone would go to an "away" mode when no one is home so as to save $$ on cooling but when I am home I would also like to be able to fall asleep on the couch and not wake up sweating because the thermostat has kicked into "auto away" mode due to lack of motion (what happens now).

Between motion sensors (alarm system?) or something like that axxis ones and an all off button by the front / back doors. You would be all set for this.

Turning on and off would programmatic. Temp changes on the thermostat or a device.

Belt and braces could put a pressure sensor in the couch.

2,3) Kids' bedrooms - Predictable use on 5+2 schedule, prefer manual control. The day my husband talks me into thinking our kids NEED motion sensors in their bedrooms is the day I know we've both lost our minds.

You could put this in that automation room with a remote sensor to stop them fiddling with it.

4) Fish tank/Home automation - Small rooms but knowing my husband he will want some highly complex cooling schedule with cooling integrated with lights and chiller usage etc...

Keep these local for more control

5) Upstairs Gameroom/Guest bathroom - Medium sized area open to zone #1 above. Sparse use during the week, heavy use on the weekends. This area may be best served with a motion sensing device because there is no door to the Gameroom and the main users are currently ages 5 and 2 and probably not to be trusted with a manual thermostat.

Motion and similarly centralize this to keep curious fingers off.

6) Guest bedrm - Manual. Mostly will be off.

Keep it local so guests can Dial in the temp they want.

7) Master suite - Large area. I think manual here too. Mostly off during the day.

Keep it local

Do you have an alarm. The right alarm panel can send the status of door and motion and alarm sensors that the HVAC Cab then react to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.