C4 Forums | Control4

Security question - due to scare need it fast

Hi guys,

I was always intending to get a few security cameras down the track, but this week we kind of had a weird experience with a guy that was crouching behind a tree looking under our house( we have a pole home where I store all my unsecured gardening items such as ride on, chainsaw, line trimmer and my race bike plus mountain bike. It amounts to a little fortune if you add them All up).

I never really bothered putting a chain around all those items as we live in a affluent suburb of Brisbane and when you look at the police crime report, beak and enter are very far and few in Between, but I guess it only need one incident.

I now have put multiple chains and padlock, but it really made me think that I should do it now.

As such, I have ordered 8 x hick vision 4mm camera, turret EXIR style, from Amazon , but read a few things on this forum that they may be incompatible or not English software/version.

Is that true or does it only apply to NVR. At the end of the day a camera is a camera, POE, what software could there be in it?

In terms of NVR, I noticed that blue iris is well regarded on this forum, so keen to look into it, but I am a little confused. It appears that you can use a computer to act as a NVR.

Questions are:

- can I use my Mac mini i5, 8gb ram for it. I only use the Mac mini as storage for all my music and movies bought from iTunes.

- how do I get POE to the cameras

- how do I get the recording onto a hard drive via Mac mini....

- and finally, how easy is blu iris to set up. Do I need my dealer to attend.

Also, I have orders a few more light switches and pucks for lighting. I am wondering how hard or even if possible, to have kind of a panic button/macro set up on c4 interface so that when panic is pressed when my alarm under the house turns on, all the lights come on at once?

Regards

Hi Froggy1976,

First off, I know you are 100% on the way to an excellent security system. The hikvisions from Amazon should likely be in English and are excellent cameras, I use them almost exclusively in my projects. There are many Poe switches out there that will work well, I would recommend a netgear jsg series for affordability, it is also very quiet as opposed to most Poe switches. The only downside to this series vs higher end managed units, is that you can't log in and reboot a camera via Poe control, in fact, I am fairly certain that even the reboot switch function doesn't pull Poe power. As far as PC goes, the i5 Mac mini will be a little light on processing power for the 8 cameras, I woul recommend a dedicated i5 or i7 windows build, of course I am a little bias as I sell them here:

http://integratorstoolbox.com/products/3u-custom-built-nvr

I would recommend our 3u unit, allows a custom quiet cooling kit for the i7, and space for raid drives if you want to add raid.

We are geared to work with integrators, and end users alike, dependent on your preference. All of our NVR's ship with two Ethernet ports, so you can put one to your network and one to the camera switch, this allows the traffic to remain seperate. Remote access would allow us to set the whole thing up for you pm me if you are interested.

You are in Australia, so I am uncertain of who the shipping would work and what the costs would be, but I am happy to look into this if you like.

Lastly the driver for blue Iris both publishes the camera feeds to your automation system, and allows for some really cool integration features, like being able to trigger the camera, or a profile, enabling or disabling cameras, and updating the text overlays. You can get a glimpse here:

http://www.audioobsessions.com/blue-iris-nvr.html

Let me know how I can assist, and best of luck which ever way you go.

Sincerely,

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that there s a few ip camera drivers around. I M interested in hikvision and there s one for it.

Pleas excuse my ignorance in the topic, but what does a driver allow you to do?

I know it integrates with c4, but what does it allow me to do exactly within the c4 interface?

What about the HDMI out of an NVR. Do I need to connect it to a TV/receiver or will my hc 250 automatically display it when pressed/required.

Sorry for all the silly questions.

Regards

The drivers for cameras will aloow you to see the live stream off of a camera through any C4 graphic interface - touchscreen, phone, on-screen on tv.

Depending on the driver (and, of course the camera), you MAY get PTZ control (if the camera supports it - not any DVR/NVR controls).

The NVR itself isn't viewable in this matter - though a driver may be available (or be made) to use it as a source like any other (so plugged into a switch, tv and so forth)

I've got a 9 channel DVR for sale...it's a steal, and it will take any analog camera and assign it an IP feed to be viewed on your C4. Very robust DVR with tons of functionality. You should buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks for heads up.

May have to connect HDMI out of NVR to theatre room as no more spare on in the family room. A bit annoying, but m sure I can work around it.

Regards

Understand too that DVRs and NVRs mostly are just connected to with a computer etc these days - much easier to get files off of, use keyboard for searches etc.

Hi danh,

Thanks for the offer but I have my heart settled on a full hikvision system from start to finish. I am one of those guys that does not like to mix brands... Weird I know..

Cyknight,

Thanks for the reply. You kind have lost me here. Call me slow but what do you mean connected to a computer.

I thought having a NVR was the simplest I way to get a system going, rewinding, viewing.....

Regards

The NVR/DVR onscreen isn't the best/easiest way of doing 'management' - and with them visible in C4, the need to view live is a bit redundant) .

What I meant is that you'd simply log into it using either a web-browser or a dedicated program (or app on a tablet).

Archived