C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Tstat wiring question and zoning (logic) question

dbbarron

I am considering a C4 system for my home.  I have HVAC as follows:

Basement: Pair of Fujisu mini splits - plan to control with Airtopia unit or EV Universal IR controller

First Floor - Carrier Infiniti system with Bryant Wifi thermostat

Second floor - Trane 2H2C system+Eheat with conventional Tstat (2H2C)

For the first floor, I have seen so many posts and issues with the Bryant/Carrier Tstat that it seems perhaps better to just replace it with the C4 Tstat.  I will lose the variable staging (replace with 2 stage) control of the Carrier Tstat.  I also have dehumidification and a humidifier in the system.  

What is the output of the c4 Tstat for humidification and dehumidification?  I have not been able to find wiring info online?

For the second floor, the C4 Tstat makes sense.

Now the interesting question.  In the summer, the first floor system takes a long time to cool - large open space.  The 2nd floor system will really help the 1st floor if run at the same time.  There is a common space for both systems and the 2nd floor system removes the heat from the high points of this area.

So, Is it possible to program C4 logic to run the 2nd floor cool if the first floor system is greater than x degrees above the 1st floor setpoint?  That way the second floor (bedrooms) is not normally cooled during the day, but if we say return home and there is alot of cooling needed, the second floor system setpoint can also be lowered to help?  Same question but time based - say the 1st floor system does not satsify the call for cooling for 15 min, can the c4 logic be programmed to lower the setpoint on the second floor system until the first floor is satisfied?

db

Wiring for the new thermostat

I1 & I2—Indoor Air Quality control output C—Common (optional when powered by batteries) O/B—Reversing valve Y—First-stage cooling / compressor Y2—Second-stage cooling / compressor G—Fan RC—24VAC supply cooling1 R—24VAC supply heating1 W2—Second-stage heat / auxiliary W—First-stage heat / auxiliary L—System fault indicator (optional) (heat pump only) S1 & S2—Outdoor temperature sensor (included) T1 & T2—Remote temperature sensor (optional)

everything else you are doing for the programming can be done with time and effort of course.

Wiring for the new thermostat

I1 & I2—Indoor Air Quality control output C—Common (optional when powered by batteries) O/B—Reversing valve Y—First-stage cooling / compressor Y2—Second-stage cooling / compressor G—Fan RC—24VAC supply cooling1 R—24VAC supply heating1 W2—Second-stage heat / auxiliary W—First-stage heat / auxiliary L—System fault indicator (optional) (heat pump only) S1 & S2—Outdoor temperature sensor (included) T1 & T2—Remote temperature sensor (optional)

everything else you are doing for the programming can be done with time and effort of course.

Is the Tstat able to control dehumidication (in my case by activating an input to the air handler) AND humidification (in my case by activating a separate humidifier on the furnace).  Many Tstats can only do one OR the other.  I am guessing from the above that I1 & I2 are for humidification, etc.  So, can you assign I1 to humidification and I2 to dehumidification?

db

Dehumidifier system settings table Note: Dehumidifier Control can only be set to Whole Home if ventilation and humidification are not installed.

Humidifier system settings table Note: A humidifier can be installed only if ventilation is not installed and Dehumidifier Control is not set to Whole Home

sorry not terribly familiar with the use or implementation what i can find in the install notes.

Archived