C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Thermostat Maintenance

Over the years, my C4 stats of have worked as the should.  Recently, while in the midst of a heat spell, I've had to start-up my A/C units.  Neither stat would function properly and the compressors and condenser fans were jumping off the pads.  Some of the symptoms were:

Stats- display back-light and numerals would blank-out as the circ. fans started-up.  Once started, display would return to normal minus the correct time.

Compressors- would start-up OK then shut-down a few seconds later while keeping the condenser fan running.  Shortly after, the compressor would come up again then go back down.  All units were doing this.

No OS updates, no fiddling with the stat parameters, no nothing done to the C4 system at all in many moons.  Things just don't go bad in droves all of the sudden without some common factor at work.  The first thing I did was remove all stats from the wall and go get a beer.  Flipped all of them over and noticed every single contact pin on every single stat was black as old dog turds.  Took a Scotchbrite and some CRC 226 (don't use any other CRC product on plastic or electrical!) and polished them up.  Back at the wall, it's difficult to clean the sockets so shoot 'em up with 226 and work the stat in & out a few times then mount it.

All A/C units back to normal and working nicely. 

Archived