C4 Forums | Control4

Siri and HomeKit for Control4

niall

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) I think in OSX the recommended way is to use launchd - there is info here: http://launchd.info

2) You just need to restart homebridge and the next time you open eve all the new accessories will be there

You've been extremely helpful and I have tried without success.  If anyone else is running Homebridge from within OSX and is able to get it to boot upon startup please let me know as I would love this to survive a reboot.

You've been extremely helpful and I have tried without success.  If anyone else is running Homebridge from within OSX and is able to get it to boot upon startup please let me know as I would love this to survive a reboot.

Thats a shame, maybe another way is to create a command file to run it.

This is just a text file with a .command extension, like homebridge.command

The contents would be

#!/bin/sh

cd /full/path/to/homebridge

node app.js

Then if you go to system preferences, users and groups, click on your user that logs in, then select startup items and click + and select your command file.

If you have a user who automatically logs in, then it will start automatically.

Other options might be to add the script to @reboot with cron.

Thats a shame, maybe another way is to create a command file to run it.

This is just a text file with a .command extension, like homebridge.command

The contents would be

#!/bin/sh

cd /full/path/to/homebridge

node app.js

Then if you go to system preferences, users and groups, click on your user that logs in, then select startup items and click + and select your command file.

If you have a user who automatically logs in, then it will start automatically.

Other options might be to add the script to @reboot with cron.

I appreciate the help.  I made the command file but get the error:  The file “homebridge.command” could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges. upon rebooting the computer

I am an admin on the computer and have looked at file permissions and have read/write access under my name

Can I ask if you have an Apple TV?

If so thats the reason you can run it remotely. If you haven't then I'm unsure why it works remotely.

For remote access this is all taken care of by Apple HomeKit, so it will be protected by the encryption and authentication it is using.

Its only the local access between the HomeBridge software and the C4 Driver that is unencrypted.

To me the issues are that someone would need to be:

1) Connected to your network (you allowed them access via wifi or they connected via a cable)

2) Break into your network (they gained access via some other method, at which point you are in more trouble than them doing what your C4 script allows)

For both of these all they would be able to do would be to run the commands you had allowed via your C4 Script. So if its things like turning on and off lights etc, then to me its not the end of the world. If you added scripts to turn off your house alarm or change the heating to a massive level or disable power to your house, then thats asking for trouble.

At the end of the day its what level of risk you are happy with. To be honest I'd like to see someone do a full security assessment of C4 devices on their own. Or to have some knowledge that C4 are doing their own pen testing.

I have an Apple TV (2 of them 1st gen and 3rd gen) and the commands do not work remotely for me.

I have an Apple TV (2 of them 1st gen and 3rd gen) and the commands do not work remotely for me.

Hmmm...just tried it again and it is working for me.  A few things that come to mind that might be preventing it:

1) Are you on the latest SW for both ATV's ?  iOS 9 on your iDevice?

2) What iOS app are you using (Im using Eve)?

3) Does your router support UPNP/its enabled?

4) Are you signed into iCloud on either ATV?

Just curious - to make this work with everything included what is the cost all in? Thx

If you have a computer running all the time its free.

Otherwise if you get a raspberry pi to add to the network its probably about $30 all in.

On 10/28/2015 at 10:27 AM, drivertutorial said:

I've got a feeling this is going to be of some interest to people here.

I spent a couple of hours this morning getting this integrated with my system and now I feel like my apple watch is amazing.

Its fairly simple to setup, all you need is a computer of some sort (raspberry pi is perfect) to run a bridge between the HomeKit and Control4.

If anyone is interested I documented the whole process here:

https://c4drivers.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/homekit-for-control4/

I'm following your tutorial. I'm doing this on a Windows 7 machine. I've got Node.js installed. I've downloaded homekit and Git. When I run the command prompt for NPM Install, I get the following (see attached screenshot).

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong here?

It says it cannot find the package.json file, but I can assure you it is there.

I'm following your tutorial. I'm doing this on a Windows 7 machine. I've got Node.js installed. I've downloaded homekit and Git. When I run the command prompt for NPM Install, I get the following (see attached screenshot).

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong here?

It says it cannot find the package.json file, but I can assure you it is there.

Are you running this from inside the homebridge directory?

what do you get when you enter

dir

send over the output from that.

Are you running this from inside the homebridge directory?

what do you get when you enter

dir

send over the output from that.

Sorry just re-read that it is in the directory where you are running npm install.

If thats the case then try closing your cmd prompt and opening it again.

If you only installed git etc while it was open then the path will be wrong, opening and closing the cmd will sort this.

On 11/1/2015 at 9:27 AM, drivertutorial said:

Sorry just re-read that it is in the directory where you are running npm install.

If thats the case then try closing your cmd prompt and opening it again.

If you only installed git etc while it was open then the path will be wrong, opening and closing the cmd will sort this.

Same thing. Exact same thing happened after opening/closing CMD.

I tried "npm install package.json" and also "npm install app". You can see all the various outputs in the screenshot attached. The top of the very first "npm install" is a little cut off, but it's the exact same as before.

Archived