C4 Forums | Control4

Siri and HomeKit for Control4

niall

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to make it fail on my windows 7, to see if I could replicate what you have seen, but failed.

Whats the output from

dir "C:\Users\Dan Hendriksen\Downloads\homebridge-master"

Just so I can see file sizes etc to match against mine.

I'm at my office now, so I'll have to mess with this later. Maybe it would be better/easier to figure out how to turn my HC1000V3 in to a Raspberry PI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Works great running node on a Mac Dan ! Took me all of 30 minutes to get it up and running with a base level of functionality. Was quite impressed actually.

Works great running node on a Mac Dan ! Took me all of 30 minutes to get it up and running with a base level of functionality. Was quite impressed actually.

I've got an iMac which I have at home. What happens when the computer goes to sleep? Does the functionality quit? That's my concern. The Mac goes to sleep and frankly doesn't get used all that often.

I'm at my office now, so I'll have to mess with this later. Maybe it would be better/easier to figure out how to turn my HC1000V3 in to a Raspberry PI?

I'd say that was a false economy, both in terms of time and cost.

Buying a Raspberry Pi will cost less than the electricity to run the HC1000 for a year.

I measured my Pi and it costs about £2.50 a year to run, the HC1000 was about £30.

It only costs £20 to buy the raspberry pi model B and disk for it.

Set the iMac to not go to sleep. Install xcode from the app store, node and homebridge. Run it for a few weeks before you commit to it. If you like it, you can pick up a Pi 2 Model B starter kit for like $60 USD and reinstall .... or just leave the iMac on.

So where in the heck do I put this board then? I don't want a science project (no offense).

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14421?scode=GS401&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google&gclid=CJWn8oXy8sgCFYQ8aQod1OUCQQ

So where in the heck do I put this board then? I don't want a science project (no offense).

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14421?scode=GS401&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google&gclid=CJWn8oXy8sgCFYQ8aQod1OUCQQ

Take a look here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/

I used a PI 1 Model B+ because I had one lying around, but you could buy a PI 2.

Then all you need is a Micro SD Flash card (probably atleast 4GB)

If you want a case then either buy theirs, or there are thousands of others out there.

You can get it all from amazon.

At this point it all sounds like far more hassle than it's worth.

If I get ambitious some time maybe I'll order the hardware, assemble, run all the CMD line stuff and play around with it. For now, I'll keep my time and sanity and use the system as I have for the last decade. I appreciate your assistance in trying to help troubleshoot and offering suggestions.

Its pretty straight forward. I installed it on an original Raspberry PI.

And had Zero hassles getting it going.

You can get starter kits for the Raspberry PI on amazon that has the PI a case power supply and SD card ready to go. And worst case scenario if you decide to scrap the project, you can always install Kodi on the PI and use it as a media player.

Installing on PI as I type this but I noticed some errors while Homekit is installing.  I then noticed NodeJS 4.0.0 apparently isn't compatible?

"This guide currently results in the just-released NodeJS 4.0.0 version which is not yet compatible with Homebridge. Stay tuned while we update the guide."

Is everyone doing something different to get it installed than what the guide is saying?

Installing on PI as I type this but I noticed some errors while Homekit is installing.  I then noticed NodeJS 4.0.0 apparently isn't compatible?

"This guide currently results in the just-released NodeJS 4.0.0 version which is not yet compatible with Homebridge. Stay tuned while we update the guide."

Is everyone doing something different to get it installed than what the guide is saying?

I just went ahead and installed the latest that was there (4.2.1) and it works fine.

Did you get errors during the Homekit install?

Might have done the first time, the instruction on the wiki needed some other things installing, but I worked out what needed installing and updated the homebridge wiki.

What were the errors?

Might have done the first time, the instruction on the wiki needed some other things installing, but I worked out what needed installing and updated the homebridge wiki.

What were the errors?

Errors mainly involved wrong version of Node.  I had 4.0.0. installed at that time.  I've upgraded it to a newer version and will try again.

Just tried clicking on the updated wiki link and I get a 404 error.

Which link, this one works good for me:

https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge/wiki/Running-HomeBridge-on-a-Raspberry-Pi

Regarding the errors, were they errors or warnings?

The package.json would include the versions it wants, but if there is a different version you will get a warning.

I just ignored the warnings.

Which link, this one works good for me:

https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge/wiki/Running-HomeBridge-on-a-Raspberry-Pi

When you go here

https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge

Under the installation section it says.

"If you're running on a Raspberry Pi, you should have a look at the Wiki."

That's the wiki link I'm talking about.  I'm assuming it's just suppose to take you to the wiki link you posted above and I should just continue with the next step which is.....

npm install -g homebridge

Seem to be making some progress.  Attached my config and error output when I run homebridge.  Not sure I have the config setup right.  Any ideas? 

Looks like they changed how homebridge is bundled earlier today.

If you read the install instructions now you just install it with npm, but all need to add the accessories separately using npm

https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge

Archived