C4 Forums | Control4

I've gotten the float variable to work for my thermostats, but haven't gotten around to volume control.  One item that I would love to have is being able to pass the channel change for directv; Alexa change channel to 206, etc.  Doesn't seem like there's a way to do that, unfortunately.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Scrib said:

I've gotten the float variable to work for my thermostats, but haven't gotten around to volume control.  One item that I would love to have is being able to pass the channel change for directv; Alexa change channel to 206, etc.  Doesn't seem like there's a way to do that, unfortunately.

From what I understand, the SET variable on Epic System's driver can only be from 1 to 100 (if it's a number)  I ended up setting up a different event for each channel - "Turn on CBS", "Turn on Cable New Network" (CNN is a reserved word)   Each event has only 2 lines of code to fill a variable (vChannel)...

Set variable vChannel to "CBS"

run macro TV CHANNELS    (the exact syntax is wrong. I'm writing this from memory)

The macro TV CHANNELS actually controls the TV...

If variable vChannel = "CBS"

set the channel on Satellite to "2"

IF variable vChannel = "FOX"

set the channel on Satellite to "360"

To add or delete channels I just create the event, paste  2 lines of code only changing the channel name then add the channel to the macro. Easy and works fine.

I've tried creating just one event called TVChannel that fills in the variable using the SET command but I can't get that to work.

vChannel = String Result from the Epic Driver  (Again, from memory. I know that syntax is wrong but you get the idea)

• 3 weeks later...

I just got some Echo Dots and I have this driver working well on my 2.8 system.  A couple of questions:

• Is there still a limitation of 30 triggers?  I see that mentioned early in this thread but I don't see anything on this mentioned in the current docs?
  • Is there any way to delete some of the triggers, like the Up and Down triggers, that you may not be needing for a certain event?  That would help to keep it from getting too cluttered.

50 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I just got some Echo Dots and I have this driver working well on my 2.8 system.  A couple of questions:

• Is there still a limitation of 30 triggers?  I see that mentioned early in this thread but I don't see anything on this mentioned in the current docs?
  • Is there any way to delete some of the triggers, like the Up and Down triggers, that you may not be needing for a certain event?  That would help to keep it from getting too cluttered.

No limit any more.

No way to delete triggers.

This is more of a general question but does anyone have any advice on creating terms that Alexa can understand without issues.  There seem to be a few things where my Echo is struggling.  I want to create a trigger that will allow my car to start charging.  I have tried a few triggers in the C4 driver including "Tesla Charge" and "Tessie Charge" but for some reason the Echo doesn't do anything when I say these commands "Tessie charge on", even though when I look at the commands received at the Echo web browser UI I can see that Alexa seems to be interpreting the commands correctly.

p.s. I am also having trouble with getting Alexa to start the SageTV process using my Harmony, but this is unrelated to the C4 driver.

• 10 months later...
9 minutes ago, dwman113 said:

So just to confirm the echo SHOW still does not work with this driver?

I am curious why the show would not work? The driver is just taking the alexa command through the cloud down to the epic driver. What would be stopping it?

1 minute ago, indodude said:

I am curious why the show would not work? The driver is just taking the alexa command through the cloud down to the epic driver. What would be stopping it?

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked. Would appear something with the show API is different. There are many people in previous posts explaining it does not work. Also it's on their website that it does not support the show. 

5 minutes ago, dwman113 said:

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked. Would appear something with the show API is different. There are many people in previous posts explaining it does not work. Also it's on their website that it does not support the show. 

Thanks for the info. I had no idea. Just reviewed their site and it says it only works if you have other standard echo dots under the same account for discovery. Good to know!

Has anyone had trouble with the Epic driver lately not adding devices?  I've tried discovery (with discovery enabled via Composer) and cannot add new devices.  I've tried emailing Epic and no response.

Also, for some reason when I use the command "Alexa, increase KITCHEN RADIO" (which per my programming will increase volume in my kitchen) I just get a "BLOOP" sound from Alexa.  Every other room seems to work just fine.....

55 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

Also, is there a way to use the Epic driver to set a DirecTV channel number?  I know that SET is a command but I don't see a way of having Alexa via the driver tell the DirecTV box what channel to set.

Nope.

1 hour ago, drmark12pa said:

Has anyone had trouble with the Epic driver lately not adding devices?  I've tried discovery (with discovery enabled via Composer) and cannot add new devices.  I've tried emailing Epic and no response.

Also, for some reason when I use the command "Alexa, increase KITCHEN RADIO" (which per my programming will increase volume in my kitchen) I just get a "BLOOP" sound from Alexa.  Every other room seems to work just fine.....

Are you sure that you pushed the Discover button in the driver in Composer HE after telling Alexa to look for new devices?  I had this same issue recently.

1 hour ago, drmark12pa said:

Also, is there a way to use the Epic driver to set a DirecTV channel number?  I know that SET is a command but I don't see a way of having Alexa via the driver tell the DirecTV box what channel to set.

Not in the sense you are looking for. It can but the programming is extensive compared to what you are hoping for, requiring a conditional for each channel favorite then calling the corresponding favorite

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-19%20at%206.42.5

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-19%20at%206.42.3

31 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Are you sure that you pushed the Discover button in the driver in Composer HE after telling Alexa to look for new devices?  I had this same issue recently.

Yes I've tried it like 10 times no new devices are being detected after pressing the SEND DISCOVERY button in Composer and DISCOVER DEVICES via Alexa.....

On 10/24/2017 at 1:56 PM, drmark12pa said:

I did this with the built-in C4 driver. Just created a voice scene for the channels I frequent. Some names work, some don't. Had to use Sports for ESPN, but NBC worked. DVR works. Maybe if I put periods in the name like E.S.P.N. it might have worked.

Archived