C4 Forums | Control4

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jfh said:

You really don't pay attention, do you?  Alexa doesn't have a 30 trigger limit - the Hue support does.  If you write the Echo skill, Alexa can have as many triggers as you want.  But you seem to be too dense to understand that and want to compare apples to oranges.  

We we all know you aren't as smart as you think you are, but thanks for continuing to come back to remind us of that.

Glad to hear you're happy with your Siri solution.  Start your own thread to discuss it if you like. 

How many control4 solutions or apps have you wrote?

schrady, I've refunded your money and de-activated your key.  Thank you for trying out our driver and for your valuable feedback.  Best of luck with your driver (or whatever it is?), looks promising.  For the record, I never said you couldn't do it...rather, I encouraged you to do it.

As I said earlier, I'm an Android user though so it doesn't really help me much to have Siri-based voice control, nor does it help my wife (who has an iPhone but would never be caught dead walking around the house talking to it to control the home!), however she does love the ease of the Echo patiently waiting in the corner of our kitchen...not to mention it provides a simple solution for music in an area where we didn't pre-wire any speakers, tells the kids jokes, helps them learn new vocabulary, etc, etc...

10 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

schrady, I've refunded your money and de-activated your key.  Thank you for trying out our driver and for your valuable feedback.  Best of luck with your driver (or whatever it is?), looks promising.  For the record, I never said you couldn't do it...rather, I encouraged you to do it.

As I said earlier, I'm an Android user though so it doesn't really help me much to have Siri-based voice control, nor does it help my wife (who has an iPhone but would never be caught dead walking around the house talking to it to control the home!), however she does love the ease of the Echo patiently waiting in the corner of our kitchen...not to mention it provides a simple solution for music in an area where we didn't pre-wire any speakers, tells the kids jokes, helps them learn new vocabulary, etc, etc...

Thank you.

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

can you share details of what your wrote? Did it require jailbroken iphone? provide technical details to backup video

No, no jailbroken phone.

I'm preparing a standards and specs sheet for my solution. When I have the documentation done, I'll start a thread. I also haven't decided what, if anything, to charge for it.

Schrady

No, no jailbroken phone.

I'm preparing a standards and specs sheet for my solution. When I have the documentation done, I'll start a thread. I also haven't decided what, if anything, to charge for it.

Schrady

I am also an android user. I am just curious what you made.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You guys don't seem to understand Schrady's point.  Alexa sucks.  She doesn't understand anything he says.  The driver sucks.  He can't understand why the programmer produced a crappy driver and why we don't have Star Trek type voice recognition for $300.  It doesn't matter if you don't use Apple or don't want to carry around your phone to use voice recognition or if you want (or need) to have hands free control.  We all must use Siri because Alexa sucks.  He's a great programmer.  We should listen to him.  Alexa sucks.  Use Siri.  Especially when he comes up with a whole house solution where the hardware and software costs way less than the redicilously outrageous $300 needed for the Alexa solution.  

Not going to name names, but please behave guys. I've gotten some reports of abuse within this topic.

It's quite alright for people to have differing opinions, but it isn't alright to resort to personal attacks. Please tone down the rhetoric in here and be mindful of the glass house we all live in together. For a couple of you it may just be best to walk away from this topic. Otherwise we'll have to lock it out.

Thanks all and place nice! B)

4 minutes ago, cdegaeta said:

Not going to name names, but please behave guys. I've gotten some reports of abuse within this topic.

It's quite alright for people to have differing opinions, but it isn't alright to resort to personal attacks. Please tone down the rhetoric in here and be mindful of the glass house we all live in together. For a couple of you it may just be best to walk away from this topic. Otherwise we'll have to lock it out.

Hey guys,

Since JFH knows all about me and is an A+ control4 programmer, I'll let him post his SIri solution for you guys to see. Too bad he had to go off like that.

I coulda shared what I've done with Siri. Its almost no cost to you.

PS. I AM a C4 official programmer, have composer pro, and am legit with C4.

Anyways...in other news, and on a more positive note, we've got a new version of the driver that we have just released!  If you would like to update your system(s), you can download the driver and documentation from here:

Driver

Documentation

This new version has some key improvements:

1) Much better/more verbose debug logging in Composer...during device discovery, as well as when the trigger words are actually called from the Echo

2) Fixed a critical issue that we identified which was causing a problem with multiple echos in the same project and registered under different Amazon accounts (for example to get around the 30 device limitation per Echo account)

Enjoy and please let me know any feedback that you have on the driver itself or on the documentation...please keep it constructive :)

8 hours ago, cdegaeta said:

don't be a weenie...

So maybe we need an Alexa v Siri thread for those who want to debate the merits of each.. Maybe add a vote... Include a 'both' option and I'll know how to vote!

While you are at it, please can we return this thread to the OP so that those of us following it can see what is happening on the Amazon Echo (thread title...).

Congrats on the new driver. Added about 40 things more Siri can do yesterday. All from my lazyboy. See the video and turn it up, its pretty quiet.

Schrady

Are you using the homekit bridge?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Just trying to understand...how is this 40 things more? All I see is you turning things on and off. No up or down for each keyword...no natural speech ("turn on pause"...?)...no new functionality from what I can tell. And you have to have the iPhone by your side as you stated...so what happens when your iPhone dies by 10am and you have it charging in the other room because you don't have a power outlet right next to your lazy boy?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Just trying to understand...how is this 40 things more? All I see is you turning things on and off. No up or down for each keyword...no natural speech ("turn on pause"...?)...no new functionality from what I can tell. And you have to have the iPhone by your side as you stated...so what happens when your iPhone dies by 10am and you have it charging in the other room because you don't have a power outlet right next to your lazy boy?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Again, congrats on the new driver. I added functionality to TV, like vlume, mute, pause, skip, more lights, thermostats, and outlets in my basement and my garage.

The big change was I was HANDS FREE by just saying "Hey Siri" and didnt have to push a button.

I thought it worked great.

No, true natural language is not possible yet. I'd like to be able to say 'Pause" to pause TV, but its not enough. I have to say Pause On or turn on Pause.

You didnt see it miss once though, did ya.

3 minutes ago, schrady said:

Again, congrats on the new driver. I added functionality to TV, like vlume, mute, pause, skip, more lights, thermostats, and outlets in my basement and my garage.

The big change was I was HANDS FREE by just saying "Hey Siri" and didnt have to push a button.

I thought it worked great.

No, true natural language is not possible yet. I'd like to be able to say 'Pause" to pause TV, but its not enough. I have to say Pause On or turn on Pause.

You didnt see it miss once though, did ya.

are you using the homekit bridge script?

8 minutes ago, schrady said:

Why is natural language not possible yet?

Archived