C4 Forums | Control4

Voice activation

South Africa C4 user

So when is C4 going to take the leap and add voice activation to the product. I have an Echo and love it but don't really want to spend a fortune buying one for every room and hiding them... My youngest daughter (1 year old) keeps grabbing the one in our bedroom as it is because she thinks it's some sort of robotic talking doll. My 2 older daughters want Echo's for their rooms etc. and I am on a losing wicket.

Back on topic, I would have thought that it would be easy for C4 to team up with someone (Amazon) and have all intercom points (I.e. Most Touchscreens) act as Alexa end points...

47 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Back on topic, I would have thought that it would be easy for C4 to team up with someone (Amazon) and have all intercom points (I.e. Most Touchscreens) act as Alexa end points...

Amazon wants to get into the home automation game and since they are way bigger than C4, would seem like an odd partnership to me.  As a C4 user I'd love it do not get me wrong.

Ever look at a voicepod?  More expensive solution than the Echo but you can install them out of reach of your children

http://www.voicepod.com/

25 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Amazon wants to get into the home automation game and since they are way bigger than C4, would seem like an odd partnership to me.  As a C4 user I'd love it do not get me wrong.

Ever look at a voicepod?  More expensive solution than the Echo but you can install them out of reach of your children

http://www.voicepod.com/

Thanks Eggzlot for the suggestion. It is certainly something I will look at (as I love gadgets).  I would still really like something native to C4 using their own hardware...

Yes I agree I'd like it to be within its own hardware.  But to each his own.  I'd rather buy 2-3 Alexa's and spread them around my house vs buying 3 new touch screens at $1,000/pop and put them in place of my current touch screens.  At least the voicepod is mountable I believe on the wall and other areas so you can keep it out of the reach of children.

I'm building something at the moment as a side project.  Cross platform personal assistant that is built into a driver and will work on chrome for Android, Windows, OS X and Linux.

it will be a while before it is available but so far it will listen to your voice and respond to a few commands.

should bring the price down for voice control for control4 especially if you already own android phones and tablets.

• 2 weeks later...

The driver is slowly getting there and at the moment does a few cool things like speech synthesis (ie talk back to you) and recognition, reverse engineer and map your entire Control4 system for rooms and devices/types (WIP).

What this means is that you don't need to program it and in theory just talk to it and say turn on, select, dim, open, device in room, etc.

the goal is to make it so you don't need to custom programming or events to get it to work for simple things which should just work and have it at a price point cheaper than any hardware solution.

I'll definitely be buying this one... If you need a beta tester just shout...

What hardware will you need? Will it work with an iOS device? Echo? Or just Android phones?

Would love to see my Touchscreens microphones wake up when spoken to... As Alexa is taken, how about Barbie? Ok, my wife might not like that she already feels that I talk more to Alexa than her. I explained it is just a novelty thing ?

The technology is built using webkitaudio utilising Chromium (the technology that powers google chrome and other web browsers).  It will not work on iOS unfortunately as iOS does not allow microphone input from the web browser.  It will work on android, Windows phones / tablets and all desktop operating systems.

it is no where near beta testing. Will probably take me ages to get to that point as i have high expectations for what a product should be able to do.

Archived