C4 Forums | Control4

New starter advice needed!

Burko

Hi,

I bought a second hand HC800 at the weekend and would like to manage it myself as much as possible but haven't got off to a great start...

As I'm new to C4 I could do with some basic advice / help. The controller is plugged in and showing the Power and Link lights, and is connected via my powerline network to my router. No other lights are showing.

But - I can't find the controller on my home network, and can't connect to it either via the iPhone C4 App (error code 403.22), or via the App on my MacBook.

I noticed that no IP address was showing when the controller was booting up.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

3 minutes ago, Burko said:

Hi,

I bought a second hand HC800 at the weekend and would like to manage it myself as much as possible but haven't got off to a great start...

As I'm new to C4 I could do with some basic advice / help. The controller is plugged in and showing the Power and Link lights, and is connected via my powerline network to my router. No other lights are showing.

But - I can't find the controller on my home network, and can't connect to it either via the iPhone C4 App (error code 403.22), or via the App on my MacBook.

I noticed that no IP address was showing when the controller was booting up.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

As I am not sure how much you looked into Control4 before buying the HC-800, much of it needs to be installed and configured by a dealer with the Composer Pro software. The controller likely has a blank project, and might even have an old static IP configured. You're going to need a Control4 dealer to configure that all for you, and add devices to it that you want to control.

Actually - Link light on means there IS a project on it. Either IP config or that powerline adapter could be your issue......regardless, that controller is useless to you as it is - as mentioned above, it will require setup by a dealer, full programming and more.

Those apps you're using? they are for house control, not setup purposes and likely won't work to begin with as that controller needs to be registered to an account for you and on and on....

Yes, that makes a difference.  You should be OK if the controller shows up as registered on your control4 account.

I would also suspect power line.  I doubt you will be happy with that long term.   I would first eliminate that by running a cable directly from the 800 to your router.

if you don't see / don't know the IP address, look underneath the controller for the MAC address and then put a reservation in your router for that address and see if you see it then.

2 minutes ago, jfh said:

I would also suspect power line.  I doubt you will be happy with that long term.   I would first elm intake that by running a cable directly from the 800 to your router.

Elm intake? That a new drug or something? :lol:

Even using the controller wireless would likely be better than using powerline....

Yes, having it setup would make SOME difference, but I wonder 'how' it was setup - was there a dealer at your house hooking it up?

4 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Even using the controller wireless would likely be better than using powerline....

Yes, having it setup would make SOME difference, but I wonder 'how' it was setup - was there a dealer at your house hooking it up?

No dealer at the house, but it was set up for me with MyHome Site and 4sight licences by the person I bought it from, who's also a C4 dealer.

Appreciate all the help...!

8 minutes ago, Burko said:

No dealer at the house, but it was set up for me with MyHome Site and 4sight licences by the person I bought it from, who's also a C4 dealer.

Appreciate all the help...!

And what? Were devices added, is it set for a/v control, lighting, etc?

I can't truly speak of what's on there but....it sounds like whomever sold it to you needs to 'complete' his work

Nothing added yet, as it's not been connected to anything yet - except the TV! But surely i should be able to access it from my MacBook / App? In time i'd like to download Composer to access it and set it up myself.

Nothing added yet, as it's not been connected to anything yet - except the TV! But surely i should be able to access it from my MacBook / App? In time i'd like to download Composer to access it and set it up myself.

You can't set it up yourself. That's what we are trying to tell you. You need composer pro.

How are you trying to access it from your mac?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Sorry, don't know how "eliminate" became "elm intake" ... :)

I'm afraid you are stuck with a nice black box. Whenever you are ready to spend some money call that "dealer" to set it up for you.

And in the first place what kind of dealer is that if he didn't explain to you how C4 works...?

Sent from my LG G2

34 minutes ago, 9800pro said:

I'm afraid you are stuck with a nice black box. Whenever you are ready to spend some money call that "dealer" to set it up for you.

And in the first place what kind of dealer is that if he didn't explain to you how C4 works...?

Sent from my LG G2

A dealer actually breaks his agreement with Control4 if he

1. Sells Control4 without programming the system
  2. Sells Control4 outside of their region.

Dealer actually lose their dealership over things like this.

7 minutes ago, alanchow said:

A dealer actually breaks his agreement with Control4 if he

1. Sells Control4 without programming the system
  2. Sells Control4 outside of their region.

Dealer actually lose their dealership over things like this.

#1 makes sense

#2 is insane.  That is market protectionism at its' extreme.  Even car manufacturers don't do that.

I can understand a dealer having exclusive rights in a geographical area.  Anything beyond that just "protects" dealers that probably shouldn't be in business anyway and limits or eliminates competition (and caps individual dealer growth/profit)

anyway - the OPs problem doesn't sound like it has to do with the controller being unregistered or project less, but related to being connected by the power line adapter.  Even an unregistered controller should identify itself to the router.

13 minutes ago, jfh said:

#1 makes sense

#2 is insane.  That is market protectionism at its' extreme.  Even car manufacturers don't do that.

I can understand a dealer having exclusive rights in a geographical area.  Anything beyond that just "protects" dealers that probably shouldn't be in business anyway and limits or eliminates competition (and caps individual dealer growth/profit)

anyway - the OPs problem doesn't sound like it has to do with the controller being unregistered or project less, but related to being connected by the power line adapter.  Even an unregistered controller should identify itself to the router.

#2 is mainly to protect distributors in other countries. There was a problem a while back where some dealers and consumers would buy direct from the US and as such distributors would lose out.  At the end of the day distributors help build up the product in a country by offering sales & technical support, marketing, warehousing, local regulatory compliance and other tidbits.  Without them Control4 would not be where it is today worldwide.

3 minutes ago, alanchow said:

#2 is mainly to protect distributors in other countries. 

Sorry, I was not thinking about outside the US.  I understand why restrictions between countries make sense.  But not within any given country where every dealer is on the same playing field.  Protectionist models generally only help to establish presence and rarely enable long term growth.  

Another possibility here is that the HC800 has a static IP configured and it is outside of the IP range used by your network.

For example, if your router is handing out 192.168.1.xxx addresses, and the 800 arrived with a static IP of 10.0.1.1, it would do what you are seeing.

Archived