C4 Forums | Control4

Synapse FollowMe

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I am investigating purchasing this driver for a client of mine who wants geofencing - so far, not a very good experience...can't even connect to the licensing server - doesn't give me a high vote of confidence that this driver is the real deal?  Can anyone comment on whether this driver is something you can reliably implement for a client?  Are there any other options in terms of geofencing?

I have had very little issues with this driver. The one thing that keeps popping up is an IPhone issue. When I do an update and at times when I make changes to iPhone setup the name of the phone gets changed from" xxxx's iPhone " to simply "iPhone". Once I match up the iPhone names all is good.I have had one instance of not connecting to the server but that was earlier on.

I've got some reservations about the driver.  On the one hand, I think it is very valuable, and it is worth it to me to put up with the glitches vs not having geolocation at all.  On the other hand, I have some issues with this driver that I shouldn't be having at this point in its lifecycle.  To me geolocation is getting pretty huge in the connected home and this is one of those drivers that should just be a part of Control4.  I have to wonder if C4 is working on something that could potentially replace this.

I honestly couldn't imagine a customer that would expect this to work 99% of the time being happy with it.  I would think you would get a lot of calls.

thanks for that input.  I've got it up and running now, seems to work pretty well...however I (and moreso my customer) have concerns about sharing our iCloud username and password.  Anyone else think that this is a potential security issue?

4 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

thanks for that input.  I've got it up and running now, seems to work pretty well...however I (and moreso my customer) have concerns about sharing our iCloud username and password.  Anyone else think that this is a potential security issue?

It might have come up in a previous thread, there is a huge thread on this product.  What I don't like is that it doesn't know about Family Sharing, so I have to put every single family members iCloud credentials in...at least if it used Family Sharing, you'd only be giving up one set of credentials.  And my family shouldn't have to give me those credentials anyway...

You say it is working well for you, just in the past few months, I never go more than a few weeks without having to go in a type a space after my password and then delete the space to re-enter it--to fix the lack of authentication, which I find out about when it quits working.

It's a decent app but it needs Family Share capability to make it practical for a family and the servers need to be more stable.

Can't say it would be a good sell to a customer of yours without those fixes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do really hope C4 builds this in or gets an IFTTT channel so geofencing gets easier

• 3 weeks later...

I have 5 devices on my account, two haven't checked in since at least 4/18.  One of the two I have in front of me, I've massaged the login like I have to do every so often, and it doesn't help this time.  iCloud / Find iPhone knows where this device is, but FollowMe seems to be timing out getting the data.  But three other devices on different iCloud accounts have checked in fine today it seems.  Anybody seeing anything similar?

• 2 weeks later...

We made some short term fixes to the licensing system that will greatly reduce how often your controller needs to connect to the licensing server to renew. This should greatly improve reliability while we work on a rewrite of the server. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, turls said:

Anybody else stuck with an invalid key after upgrading to 2.9?  My other 3rd party drivers I checked are fine.

my system indicates bad key, and also it cannot get sever ("remote server offline"), started earlier today.  I am still on 2.8.2.  May not be a 2.9 thing.

11 hours ago, ptome said:

my system indicates bad key, and also it cannot get sever ("remote server offline"), started earlier today.  I am still on 2.8.2.  May not be a 2.9 thing.

Yep, that's what mine says.  Getting old.  

Archived