C4 Forums | Control4

Voicepod, Alexa and control4 integration

I just noticed that there is a voicepod skill for Alexa.. I am wondering if I can use that skill, with my control4 system, without having actual voicepods installed.. just the driver.. and if so, What all can I do? Will I be able to have full voicepod control over my house?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I have learned so far, you will need a voicepod license (MSRP $649 for lifetime, or $140/yr).

Step 1: Install the Voicepod mobile server driver ONCE in your project.

Step 2: For each room you will install a voicepod mobile room driver

Step 3: You will have to configure each driver as needed.

Step 4: Once this is done you add in all your programming for each voicepod scene.

Step 5: Link the voicepod Skill to alexa.

Step 6: Profit?

I am running the beta of the VoicePod for Alexa in my project and I have to say, it is fantastic!!  You can have multiple units for other rooms and you can say room specific commands like, "turn on the master bedroom light", "close the shades in the family room", or "set the accent lights to 50% in the kitchen".  There are also listen and watch commands.  You are going to love it!

3 hours ago, cybuch said:

I am running the beta of the VoicePod for Alexa in my project and I have to say, it is fantastic!!  You can have multiple units for other rooms and you can say room specific commands like, "turn on the master bedroom light", "close the shades in the family room", or "set the accent lights to 50% in the kitchen".  There are also listen and watch commands.  You are going to love it!

Did all of those commands need to be programmed? 

21 hours ago, AnOutsider said:

Yes, which is what I was afraid of being clunky/inelegant

Yea, I see what you mean. I created my own Alexa skill and based it off of the HTTP web events driver so I am used to saying "Alexa, tell Control four to...".  It would be nice to skip that part.  I think (but can't confirm) that they are working on the simple on/off commands without saying "tell voice pod" with the new Smart Home Alexa Skill API.  

I do like how easy it is to program, just add a macro to the event and add IF statements to the macro to determine room and target, super easy.

20 hours ago, cybuch said:

Yea, I see what you mean. I created my own Alexa skill and based it off of the HTTP web events driver so I am used to saying "Alexa, tell Control four to...".  It would be nice to skip that part.  I think (but can't confirm) that they are working on the simple on/off commands without saying "tell voice pod" with the new Smart Home Alexa Skill API.  

I do like how easy it is to program, just add a macro to the event and add IF statements to the macro to determine room and target, super easy.

Could you offer a screenshot as an example of your reference.  I'm also in the beta and trying to program the cleanest way possible.

Archived