C4 Forums | Control4

Control 4 driver icons & preset channels

BSDLLC

Hello All,

I have a quick question regarding the default / required preset channel icons size used with the Control 4 software. I am putting together a collection of driver icons (brand logos) and channel presets as we speak, but I am having trouble finding out the best size for the preset channel icons. The driver icons are HD and can be run through the C4Z Scaler to create all of the required sizes for integrating them into the drivers.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Noel

32 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

1046x1046 is the recommended size

For preset channel icons? That seems a bit large. Does C4 scale them when you add them to projects? I know the C4Z scaler will create a whole set of driver icons, including a 1024 x 1024, and my images are 512 x 512 to begin with. The largest size actually comes out looking great, but I think that is because I chose a default size it can double up on perfectly.

I don't know anywhere you can find all of the TV channel and SiriusXM presets in that kind of resolution. Would you be interested in trying the preset channel icon set I made and letting me know what happens?

4 minutes ago, Chico said:

Noel, welcome to the C4 forum! Really looking forward to see what you'll be offering to the C4 community. 

I don't want to get in trouble for posting business or attempting to advertise on this forum. Would it be OK with the moderators if I posted a couple sample graphics?

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

ooops  1024x1024 was the one of course.

Large? Sure. Can you use another? sure - but WHY if you can find a bigger image? WHY blow up an existing image?

Beyond that - all I gave you was the recommended size (minimum size in fact) - as per control4.

I appreciate the info. I would love to see a 1:1 screenshot of something like an iPad / iPad Retina with some favorite channel icons showing so I can directly sample the pixel height and width they actually display. I may just skip the preset icons all together, and I wanted to make them a free download, but I am not sure if the ones I created will work.

? not sure what you're asking here.

The icons used by the driver range from 10x10 to 140x140 in increments of 10, with the 1024x1024 acting as the 'master' to create them all.

This is all documented in the article you would have gotten the program from....

49 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

? not sure what you're asking here.

The icons used by the driver range from 10x10 to 140x140 in increments of 10, with the 1024x1024 acting as the 'master' to create them all.

This is all documented in the article you would have gotten the program from....

I have the driver icon sizing down just fine. The ones I created work perfectly and look great after going through the C4 scaling software. It is the preset channel icons (TV & SiriusXM) I am a bit confused about. Are those also compiled directly into drivers or can you alter them a different way if you want to edit / change them out?

For instance, you may have a DirecTV page with icons (HBO, networks, Disney Channel etc...) for dialing channels directly. I am just trying to figure out what size Control 4 uses for those so I can create my own set.

AH, I get what you're saying. With the new 'drivers' for these, I guess that got a bit confusing.

No that isn't in a driver, it's loaded and edited via the media Tab in composer. For movie posters I think the recommended size is something like 2000x3000 or near, but that's far overdone for channels obviously.

I'd say 600x600 for those is plenty (they are square, unlike movies). You just load those direct into the system, or if you want, do one system and then export the media list to have handy to import whenever you want into other projects - THOSE get scaled by the system automatically.

10 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

AH, I get what you're saying. With the new 'drivers' for these, I guess that got a bit confusing.

No that isn't in a driver, it's loaded and edited via the media Tab in composer. For movie posters I think the recommended size is something like 2000x3000 or near, but that's far overdone for channels obviously.

I'd say 600x600 for those is plenty (they are square, unlike movies). You just load those direct into the system, or if you want, do one system and then export the media list to have handy to import whenever you want into other projects - THOSE get scaled by the system automatically.

Sorry for the confusion. It is hard to find channel icons of decent quality, but I did manage to find some screenshots showing them and I think the size I created will do fine. Like I said, the channel icons are going to be a free download, I just want to make sure I am supplying something people can actually use.

Here is a sample of the driver icons (1 of 333). They are semi-transparent and the "beveled" edge of the glass will also show some of the background image through. Thanks again for helping to answer all my questions.

C4KODI.png

Hmm, one thing to note is that we may be talking about something else still - based on that KODI image there. There are also so-called MINI drivers, ie for Sonos or Roku. Those may be what you mean by 'channel' icons. If so - you're back to drivers and 1024x1024 as your base. Note that MANY of the mini drivers (but far from all!) are 'locked' ie you can't touch or change them, including Sonos, I assume HTI's Roku driver (C4 mini drivers can be made for Roku) and some others. These are actual 'drivers' in that you load them as such and their art work with it.

13 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Hmm, one thing to note is that we may be talking about something else still - based on that KODI image there. There are also so-called MINI drivers, ie for Sonos or Roku. Those may be what you mean by 'channel' icons. If so - you're back to drivers and 1024x1024 as your base. Note that MANY of the mini drivers (but far from all!) are 'locked' ie you can't touch or change them, including Sonos, I assume HTI's Roku driver (C4 mini drivers can be made for Roku) and some others. These are actual 'drivers' in that you load them as such and their art work with it.

When I refer to channel icons, I am only talking about presets for dialing specific cable / sat and SiriusXM stations. The driver icons I created are a completely different thing. I completely understand a new image has to be run through the C4z Scaler and the output folder has be incorporated into the driver XML after certain steps are taken. I am simply supplying the large format icons so authorized dealers can convert them and incorporate them.

The image just below is what I refer to as a preset channel icon. The furthest image below shows what the main screen would look like with all new driver icons. This is just a random assortment.

C4PR.png

C4_Concept.png

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, etrochez said:

Noel, did you end up doing these icons for Control4?

I did... I created a new page on my website back on April 13-14th. I had the whole collection of 325+ icons in HD priced at $99 and the HD channel icons for C4 were a free download. There was little or no interest and the emails I received from C4 dealers were asking for them at a cheaper price. In the end, I pulled the entire page and put Crestron back in it's place.

The icon gallery is still up on my FTP if you would like to see what was available: http://www.blackmancustoms.com/C4/C4G/index.html

9 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

They look great 

Thanks Gary,

I thought since C4 finally allowed some customization, there would be dealers interested in them, The new dark rounded squares with the black logos can be a bit hard to read and the people I showed them to before creating the whole set seemed excited about them. The free channel icons that were on the my C4 graphics page were downloaded hundreds of times, so I know people were visiting.

I re-uploaded the C4 HTML / icons page, but it is not directly linked in my list of manufacturers on the left side of every page: http://blackmancustoms.com/C4.htm

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Maybe some day soon C4 will give a bunch of standard icons and the ability to link them in from Composer (preferably HE :-))

They could simply license my set and I can put the logos on any button style they desire. I designed that glass look myself and it actually looks great on the touch panels because the background shows through.

On June 5, 2016 at 10:46 PM, BSDLLC said:

They could simply license my set and I can put the logos on any button style they desire. I designed that glass look myself and it actually looks great on the touch panels because the background shows through.

I think that would be great... Hope C4 is reading and would love them to give icon flexibility to the end user!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.