C4 Forums | Control4

EA-5 Load Limit

spjuenger

I'm building a new house and my C4 installer thinks that an EA-5 controller will not have a enough CPU to handle my system.  I'm sure it really depends on the usage, but how much can an EA-5 handle?  I'm currently looking to install distributed video (8) and audio (14 zones), locks, lighting, garage doors, doorstation and screens (4).  How exactly do multiple controllers work?  Is one a master and passes load to the other?  Or do they just divide up duties?

?

What is your dealer thinking WILL work?

Honestly, the EA5 as the main controller will handle that no problem. There are certainly circumstances however where MORE controller would boost things, or are even needed, but it all depends on specifics.

For one, it's often wise to NOT have the main controller run the on-screen device for TVs, as that is a significant resource user.

Second, depending on how many lights (and remotes and locks and other zigbee devices) there are, an added controller may be needed to handle the amount of zigbee communication (ie act as a second communication central) and then there is i/o for IRs, serial and contacts and relays (normally expanded by using I/O extender controllers, a dumber, cheaper controller). -

Third, there's the number of audio streams (and what audio streams) you want/need as well as how many on-screen devices yo want (C4 does NOT recommend distributing the OSD - and many dealers follow that 'rule' meticulously, and in essence there is nothing 'wrong' with that)

As such - what you describe could be run on an EA5 just fine (indeed, it would run fine on the older HC800)  and then some - however the details are where things can change and shift. It's easy to say what he's claiming 'is nonsense' - but in reality, your information isn't accurate enough to judge off-hand.

As for how it works - one would setup to remove certain duties or functions from the main controller to lower or remove that work load from it - it doesn't work as a 'cloud' to ramp up total processing power.

I'm not saying my installer is wrong or that is non-sense, I'm just trying to management expectations.  I do have an IO extender for this system.  I'm sure if I turn everything on at the same time it might have some issues.  The EA5 is still new and I look forward to putting it through the paces.  Thanks for taking the time to educate a noob!

Well, technically he IS wrong in saying that an EA5 doesn't have the CPU to run your system - it has enough 'power' to run a system far larger than what you describe. FAR larger.

However, there is much more to it than just CPU etc, which was my main point.

I'm building a new house and my C4 installer thinks that an EA-5 controller will not have a enough CPU to handle my system.  I'm sure it really depends on the usage, but how much can an EA-5 handle?  I'm currently looking to install distributed video (8) and audio (14 zones), locks, lighting, garage doors, doorstation and screens (4).  How exactly do multiple controllers work?  Is one a master and passes load to the other?  Or do they just divide up duties?

An 8 zone AV matrix

A 16 x 16 audio matrix and two 8 pack power amps

Locks lighting and garage doors. So a bunch o zigbee devices.

Deforestation and screens.

That could run on a HC250 if you were not loading it up with SONOS and other big drivers.

What you may not have enough of are ir ports if the tv's are not ip controlled but a zigbee to ir or a dumber port expanding Unit fix that.

You would also lack audio sources. The ea5 would give you 5 not 2 of an HC250

Archived